The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Bandit01

Dillon Press

Okay, I'm doing my research on Handloading. I called a local gun shop and told that I want to purchase a set. My concerns were safety and ease of use. The person that I spoke to suggested getting a Dillon Press (model (RL550B). He said that it's really easy to use, the only problem is, they're selling it for $339.00, plus he said that he'll throw in the ABC's of Reloading video tape in. Now, he said to get everything (dies; bullets; Primer; powder, etc.,) it's going to cost me $500.00. From where I'm from, that's a lot of money.

What do you all think?
Old August 11, 2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Pesticidal

Depends on how you look at it. How much do you shoot? Figure the cost of ammo purchased vs. reloading. Then factor in the fun points in doing it yourself. The 550 is a nice reloader-I just got one a few months ago. I figure I'm reloading .45's for about 7 cents each.

You're not going to save any money on ammo, though. Whatever cost per shell you figure that you save is going to be offset by the amount you shoot..
Old August 11, 2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Ben Swenson

Bandit,
There are several ways of approaching a hobby. One camp might tell you to jump in with both feet, get the best equipment you can afford and go from there. The other camp will tell you to start with the cheapest equipment you can find and determine if you like the hobby before you invest heavily in it. I did the latter, but wish I'd done the former.

I started small - I had several cheap, used, Lee presses. They worked. I made ammunition and learned a lot - but it was slow.

Since then, I've moved up to a Dillon 550 and I'm extraordinarily happy with the machine. It cranks out ammo fast enough for me, and is reasonably easy to use - however it isn't the only option when it comes to progressives. While I'm in love with my 550, other people love their Hornady, RCBS and Lee progressive presses just as much. Shop around, try to find someone who can show you the differences and decide what it's worth to you.
Old August 11, 2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Bandit01

Ben, you must have been on the phone with me because that's exactly what the sales person said. He said that he's been reloading for 17 years and that he made a lot of costly mistakes. He said that he can sell me a Lee Press but in his opinion, it's a POS. After they run out of their stock, he's not going to order any more. He suggested coming down and checking the machine out, he and another sales person that I know will show me the ins and outs of using the machine. He also suggested going to the Salvation Army or a thrift store and getting a cheap table to work on. I'm a little bothered because last weekend, I went to another gun store and stocked up on ammo. For all of my firearms and shotgun, I spent $200.00. But anyway, I'm seriously thinking about purchasing it next week, we'll see. Of course, the sales people at my range are going to be pissed. $14.00 for a box of .45 cal and .357 Magnum ammo. Usually when I do that combo., I popping off close to 100 rounds each--twice a week.
Old August 11, 2004, 03:42 PM   #5
Ben Swenson

Quote:
Ben, you must have been on the phone with me because that's exactly what the sales person said.
Good advice gets passed around a lot.
Quote:
He also suggested going to the Salvation Army or a thrift store and getting a cheap table to work on.
Cheap is fine, but make sure the table you get is stout. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to be able to take an awful lot of torque where the press is mounted. Heavy is good too, otherwise the table will flop up and down as you cycle it.
Old August 12, 2004, 08:31 PM   #6
Fred S

Bandit:

I went through this same decision making process about seven-eight years ago when I decided to start reloading. I decided on the Dillon 550B. I knew it would be expensive up front but it has been worth it. The 550B is great press and Dillon's service is the best.

Now, it is a progressive so you have to be observant with everything you do. You can make squibs or double throw a charge if you let your mind wander.

Go with the Dillon, in the long run, you'll be happy.

GO ARMY
Old August 16, 2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Throckmorton

A sturdy work table is far preferable to a 'cheap table'.Depending on the round being loaded you will end up lifiing the table off it's legs each time you seat the primer..I like to make sure mine are SEATED.

the 550b is a great way to go.Since it's semi-progressive(you advance the shellplate manually)you can run one round through at a time while setting it up/learning the ropes.When you have the dies figured out THEN load it up and reload away....but DON'T TRY FOR SPEED RECORDS.Even aat a very slow cautious pace you'll load 100 rounds in an hour EASY.And have fun at the same time.
Work with the guys at your local shop and BUY FROM THEM.They will be there when you need help,and that is worth the few bucks you 'might' save by buying off the 'net.
I have several load manuals,but the Lyman is my 'goto' book .
Above all ,ask questions,pay attention,and wear safety glasses.
Old August 16, 2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

Check out ebay. There are always several Dillon 550's listed.

Dillon 1
Dillon 2
Dillon 3
Dillon 4
Dillon 5

I also bought powder measures for every caliber conversion I use on my 550. It was kind of expensive at $50+ per measure, but it's sure nice to just pull 2 pins, slide one tool head out, slide another one in, swap the shell plate, and start pulling the handle.

RCBS's old Ammomaster Progressive is a press not to be overlooked either. THIS ONE is a bit pricey, but they turn up every now and then at very reasonable prices. I picked one up last year for $155.

SASS 47015
Old August 16, 2004, 02:21 PM   #9
FrankDrebin

For what it's worth, I have a Lee progressive press and will probably keep it for a while, but probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew then what I know now. I could neve get the brass feeder to work right no matter how I adjusted it. I like the fact that all I had to do was put a bullet on the case (theoretically) but I couldn't get the "z bar" to work right, and consequently, I have to manually slide the brass feeder back and forth when I insert a new case into the shell carrier from the brass feed tube. Also, I occasionally crush a primer that doesn't feed right through the primer feeder. I'd probably get a progressive Dillon or RCBS before I'd get another Lee....Who makes the "Rock Chucker"? I heard that one was good....
Old August 16, 2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Number 6

The "Rock Chucker" is an RCBS product,

and it's unkillable. I still have mine, and I got it used.

That said, realize that it is a SINGLE-STAGE press. I use mine for sizing .223 w/ the carbide die, and for loading .30-06. I use the Dillon 550 for ALL pistol loads, and the .223 once the cases are sized.

I imagine RCBS makes a progressive just to stay in the market Dillon created; I don't know what it is called or how it performs.
Old August 16, 2004, 04:33 PM   #11
Archie

Bandit01, about a table...

Allow me to suggest going to a used office furniture place and checking out the big heavy wood or metal desks. Look around some.

They are strong, heavy (don't want them moving when cranking) and have storage space in drawers. Usually, they aren't too much money, although that is a relative thing. You can also use it for a work or cleaning table.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 17, 2004, 02:38 AM   #12
Bandit01

FINALLY (Please read over coffee break--it's long)

Okay guys, thanks for all of your input. I really can't tell you all how much it means to me. I'm still new to this hobby/sport but it's something that I really have grown to love so much (and getting a little obsessed--according to my girlfriend (we had a date a couple of weeks ago at the range)). If only I can get paid to hang around the range and shoot all day. Yesterday, I called my shooting instructor and we had a long talk about reloading. First he said that he's really happy about my progress and how I really took to the sport. Secondly, he highly recommends that I purchase the Dillon 550B press. In addition, he said that he uses the same machine and as long as I follow the instructions, it's easy as cake.

Tomorrow after work, I'm going to purchase the machine and necessary tools. As far as a table, I decided against working on my outside patio. I like to BBQ out there and sit out there in the evenings while eating dinner (god, I'm 30 and I sound like I'm 60). Plus, if I have my lady over, it wouldn't look to romantic to have a huge ammo making machine sitting on the patio table. The solution--my garage. My garage has a bench/table already built into it; therefore, I'm going to use that to set up the machine. Now my only concern is it gets really hot in there. Can I work with those chemicals and everything in heat without getting a negative discharge (will the SOB blow up in my face) plus after I finish working, will an odor remain(gun powder). My beautiful Trans Am is in there and I don't want it to have any funny smells on/in it.

Anyhow, a work bench is the least of my worries. If all else fails, tomorrow night, I'll just drive over to Walmart and pick something up. A buddy and I are going to the range on Thursday and I want to have a lot of .357 and .45 ammo ready (I'm not going to leave until they kick me out).

Speaking of ammo, last weekend I sat down and calculated how much I spend on ammo weekly. I'm the type of guy that when I'm fond of something, I aggressively get into it. When I'm shooting and I run out of ammo, I'll usually just run into the showroom and pick up a few more boxes. Once I finish, I'm usually pissed when I get my bill. Now get this, usually I shoot 2 boxes (100 rounds) for each gun. As you all know, 9mm ammo is dirt cheap, actually, I have a lot of that ammo left. Usually, I pay $4.99 for a box of Winchesters--no problem (I'm not going to include the cost of the 9mm ammo in this example). For my .45 and .357, I usually go through 2 boxes each, for each day that I'm at the range. At the range, they each cost $13.00 a box--That's 4 boxes at $13.00 each. (I'm not going to include the .38 Special ammo in this thread.)
Doing the math, that's $52.00 per shooting session. Now to be honest, sometimes I'll bring extra ammo with me (that is, if I had a chance to run to the other gun shop, which is 25 minutes away from me. But to be honest, even at the other gun shop, I'm only saving on average $1.00 a box--big deal). Keep in mind, I try to shoot twice a week (hey, it keeps me sane and happy). Now, we're at $104.00 a week (average). That didn't include all of the targets that I go through. Also, I often shoot my shotgun (which I will not be factoring into this, but of course 12 gauge shotgun shells are dirt cheap $4.99 for a box of 25)--but the targets that I use for the Shotgun are $1.00 a piece. Now, the final cost is renting the booth is $8.00 an hour. God, that's where all of my money is going.

The point is, reloading/handloading is the way to go. I've been shooting regularly for a short while now but looking at my bank book, if I keep going the way that I'm going, I'm going to be broke. I'm noticing that I'm starting to shoot more each week. No wonder why the guys that work at the range all know me by my first name and treats me like a king--I'm paying their mortgage. lol

Anyway, I really hope that I can fully grasp and enjoy this reloading/handloading experience. I work in a very stressful corporate field and amazingly, shooting regularly keeps me sane and calm (whereas, everyone else in the office hits the bottle and then some). I talk about shooting so much that I've gotten 3 friends (that includes my girlfriend into it already).

At my office, the managing partner called me into his office today to discuss an office "moral building" trip--he said that he likes the fact that I have a lot of hobbies (I'm also into climbing, golf and auto (street) racing). He wanted my suggestion for building up office morale and synergy--my suggestion--that's right--you guessed it (tons of guns). He's going to bring it up at the next partner meeting. Heck, I hope he remembers this at raise time.

Anyway, I'm sorry about being so long winded but I'm really excited about purchasing this machine and the entire shooting experience. My mom who still lives in NY is coming down to N.C. to visit me during Labor Day, she wants to see what I'm so excited about (that's 4). I called Dillon three times today to talk about the machine and the pros and cons. Over the past couple of weeks, I must have called the salesman at the shop several times a day--dude even knows my voice. He even said that if I have a problem setting the machine up, if it's not to late in the evening, he'll personally come over to help me (providing that I provide several cold ones).

Anyway, guys thank you all--this site has become one of my favorites. It is extremely resourseful--I'm so glad that it's back up. It has contributed 80% of my firearm knowledge and almost daily, I'm still learning more.
Old August 17, 2004, 04:43 AM   #13
FrankDrebin

You won't have a problem working in the garage....And Iv'e never noticed any (unfired) gunpowder odors to speak of. I have an old antique desk that my dog chewed up that I use. I took one of the top drawers out because there was no overhang, and drilled holes though the top to mount the press. I also use about a 12" length of 2X10 with holes drilled though it for the press. I take a couple of good quality C-clamps and I can use the press anywhere without drilling holes through any more antiques by just clamping the 2x10 to whatever table or bench is handy. Make sure you don't get any kind of oil in your primers......they won't work if you do....
Old August 17, 2004, 08:03 AM   #14
Fred S

There is no problem with oders and the heat won't do anything except make yu uncomfortable. The latter may be an issue as reloading does require concentration or you may make a cricial error, like double charging a case.

What you have not mentioned is getting at least two reloading manuals and reading them. Do this before cranking that press arm. Many suggested this to me when I stared and it was very helpful.

Also, make sure you are not bothered by some one else while making the ammo. Someone can come up and ask you a question about soem thing and then when you get back to the ammo, you may send the case up a second time for powder.

I had a .45 acp blow up in a Sistema Colt. Not a fun experience. I can only trace it back to one of my early reloads that got a double charge. I changed my procedures because of this, ensuring I look into to every case after it goes up for podwer to see if it has powder or too much before indexing (this is why I prefer manual indexing over auto indexing).

BTW I was able to repair the Sistema and I learned the value of $250 prescription safety glasses that day!

Dillon is a great company. Just last week the decapping pin in my .223 die snapped when it went into a case with an offset primer hole. I emailed Dillon and they sent a new pin right away.

GO ARMY
Old September 4, 2004, 09:55 AM   #15
tonyz

Hornady L-N-L

I have 2 dillons that I have been please with. But recently I have had a chance of using a using a friends Hornady progressive L-N-L and was very impressed with it. I will be selling my Dillon 550 to buy the Hornady progressive L-N-L.
One great press thats progressive also has the same warrenty and great customer service as Dillon.

Tony Z