The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2009, 09:50 PM   #26
crowbeaner

For all around penetration (and that's what you need) the 44 is best with a water quenched wheelweight cast bullet starting at 240 grains and going up from there. Heavier bullets won't have the velocity of the 240, but they have the necessary oomph to shoot clean through any large animal you may encounter. The RCBS 44-240-SWC with a Hornady gascheck sized to .430" over 25.0 of WW296 and CCI350 primers in Federal or WW brass is my go-to load for the woods here. If I have to pick a jacketed bullet, the RP 240 JSP gets the nod over 24.0 of WW296 all else the same. CB.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:26 AM   #27
Nevertoomanyguns

JustKev55, I plan on doing the same thing, just from a treestand and from the ground when I go rattling for bucks.

This is mine:

I've been practicing since then and have gotten better. I just put new sights on it and need to go sight her in. I hope these sights are going to shoot as good as I think they are.

Here are the new sights and I hope I get to see this sight picture next season.

Last edited by Nevertoomanyguns; February 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old February 15, 2009, 07:22 PM   #28
pilothunter

I have enjoyed reading many of the posts made here so far. I own a .44 carbine (scoped) and consider it a great carry rifle, plus being an excellent choice for whitetail or even black bear to 100yds or a bit more, with proper ammo. Some of the posts about larger game do give me pause though, and my opinion would be that any thin-skinned game is in grave danger at muzzle to 100+yds or so, if shooting good bullets (an example would be a 270gr Speer Gold Dot SP, not HP ammo).

I'd think a .44 would likely kill an elk at 100yds with such ammo on a broadside shot, no doubt, but not immediately(DIT) unless the neck or vertabra were hit. The power of the .44, even in a carbine with it's much higher velocity does, in my opinion, dwindle quickly when game size or type increases. I've seen several comments on wild boar, and it's good performance on them. I'll agree, but only to a point. But a boar of over 250lbs is a pretty tough animal and with it's vitals well protectected by it's thick protective shield of cartiledge is another deal, in my opinion.

Not trying to P*e in anyone's cornflakes here, simply not wanting anyone undergunned and possibly facing danger due to that. I love my Marlin .44 and it's a potent and handy gun, simply not an elephant slayer, grizzly gun nor the safest thing to shoot a close range LARGE wild male boar with. Again, simply my opinion.