The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2022, 06:07 PM   #1
dahermit

Labor intensive.

I just cast about 500 of these and have begun to seat the checks on them. I had forgotten how labor intensive making these and getting them checked, sized to lock the checks on, powder coating and sizing them again is. If I did not already have the two RCBS molds, I would just use my plain-base Lee's. But I do like gas checks on bullets for my .38 Supers.
Old January 10, 2022, 09:41 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

They look good.

I came to like the 6-cavity molds because of the time they save casting. All the other steps, though, take as much time regardless of the casting.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 11, 2022, 08:23 AM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
They look good.

I came to like the 6-cavity molds because of the time they save casting. All the other steps, though, take as much time regardless of the casting.
I use two of the RCBS gas check design when I cast... pour one, set it down, pour the other, etc. Those RCBS moulds only come in two cavity design.

However, for most of my other casting of pistol bullets, I use two identical Lee six-cavity moulds, pour one, set it down to cool pour the other, etc.

I have found that the Lee six cavity moulds will eventually (after many thousands), warp and no longer close completely. I consider them as disposable items (Lee six cavity moulds are not all that expensive after all), ordering new when they warp.

There were some stretches' in the past wherein I would shoot 96 rounds (multiple of revolver speed loaders and aluminum loading blocks), seven days a week and needed a lot of bullets.

With plain base, I cast, powder coat, size and shoot them. With gas checked bullets for my .38 Super(s), I would have to seat the check, then size (to lock the check on), shake n' bake powder coat, and size again. If I just seat the check without sizing to crimp it on, the shake part of the powder coating process will sometimes dislodge a check or two.

For the bulk of my (revolver) shooting in the past, I use two Lee 130 grain flat, round nose, plain base six-cavity moulds.

But with the primer shortage, I am shooting more .38 Super inasmuch as I can use small rifle primers (which I happened to have in reserve). If and when the primer cost comes down, I have approximately 7,000 of those Blue powder coated bullets waiting to go.

Addendum: Another step with the cast lead bullets and .38 Super is that I test 100% of my loaded rounds using the "plunk test" with the unmounted barrel's chamber... very small imperfections that cannot be readily seen in the lead and/or powder coating can cause a stoppage. Given that I do 100% testing of the rounds, any stoppage can be attributed to other causes (like magazines, etc.) and not the cast lead rounds themselves. I find that rounds meant for the revolvers do not need 100% fit to chamber inspection.

Last edited by dahermit; January 11, 2022 at 09:06 AM.