The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2017, 02:30 AM   #1
jski

S&W Governor? Gimmick or Good Idea?

Just finished watching a Hickok45 video on the S&W Governor. Hickok admits at first he dismissed it as yet another gimmick. But as the video proceeds you can tell he really like this puppy.

And in another of his walk-in-the-woods videos, he's REALLY enjoying the Governor.

Any opinions regarding this pup?
Old January 10, 2017, 02:54 AM   #2
TruthTellers

It's better than the Judge, I think we can all safely say that

There's two ways to look at the Governor: the first is you look at it solely as a shotgun revolver, and in that it works well if you shoot at something under 15 yards away.

The other way to look at it is as a standard revolver and to that, I don't know how it works because all I've read is it's not accurate, which is likely truth. Firstly, the free bore in the cylinder is huge with this revolver and I don't know if that length of travel the bullet has to take decreases accuracy or not. I would think that the bullet would be corrected by the forcing cone to straighten out the way it's supposed to, but IDK.

One thing I can tell you is that I severely doubt that the gun has any sort of chamber throat on the chambers because it's designed to shoot .410 shotshells. For .45 Colt or ACP to work, their needs to be good chamber throats.

Then there's the rifling in the bore, which I would imagine is along the same lines as the Judge, which is to decrease spin of the shot as much as possible, yet try to impart spin on a bullet.

The barrel itself is technically considered a snub barrel because it's under 3 inches long. That means there's not going to be good velocity with most ammo and hollow points susceptible to not expanding.

I'm on the fence with the Governor and have been for a long time. I decided that it wasn't worth me buying over a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP given that I can load the .45 Colt with two .45 balls or #8 birdshot and use the same way, not to mention be very accurate with .45 Colt, including the Ruger only .45 Colt stuff that would make the Governor resign from office.
Old January 10, 2017, 03:06 AM   #3
kozak6

Massive gimmick.

Unless you absolutely need a snake pistol, you would be better off with a conventional revolver for every remaining purpose.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Targa

I really like the Governor. I picked one up for my dad as a father's day gift that he uses for a nightstand gun. I have know idea how accurate it will be at extended ranges but with .45lc it is minute of man all day long at 25yards. We ran some Winchester PDX1 home defense .410 shells through it and those really let you know your alive when you pull the trigger, alot of fun . I have not had a chance to try out .45acp's yet.
Fit and finish is very good.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:09 AM   #5
BubbaBlades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSiyt8XmOg

Most of the negative posts concerning the Governor come from people that have never shot one. These guns are accurate out to 25 yards with .45 ACP or .45 Colt. Numerous videos show more than required penetration in gel blocks using triple OOO buck.

My video shows the accuracy of the OOO Buck load delivering 24 rounds into a fist-size group in under 4 seconds. The target is at 7 yards (the size of a large room).

Mark
Old January 10, 2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I'm going to give you the same answer I gave you on the other forum where you posted this question.

Just about the dumbest and most useless pistol S&W has ever made. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. A couple of years ago we raffled one off at my club. I paid $5 for a couple of tickets, just to benefit the club. If I had won I would have sold it for a profit.
Old January 10, 2017, 11:12 AM   #7
shootbrownelk

I have a Judge that was given to me as a gift from my daughter & son-in-law. I like it, and it's deadly on Rattlesnakes/Grouse and Rabbits. That's what I use it for, and it's fun.
Old January 10, 2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Nathan

Driftwood, i can +1 that. Huge size, huge weight, big recoil to get decent defensive loads. Naw, make mine a 40 or 45!
Old January 10, 2017, 12:22 PM   #9
roashooter

Quote:
Just about the dumbest and most useless pistol S&W has ever made. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me.
I agree with Driftwood..
Old January 10, 2017, 12:28 PM   #10
mavracer

Quote:
Driftwood, i can +1 that. Huge size, huge weight, big recoil to get decent defensive loads. Naw, make mine a 40 or 45!
Big +2 I'd much rather have my 21ozCharter Bulldog and a few CCI shot capsules.

I had a 45 colt 410 contender barrel and without the choke it was marginally more effective than 44 or 45 shotshells.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 10, 2017, 07:31 PM   #11
Bourbon Fan

I think it's a gimmick. My friend has a judge that I've shot a few times. I consider it a novelty gun that is sorta/kinda fun to shoot, but doesn't accomplish any particular task particularly well. I mean, if I wanted to shoot 410 shells, why not just use a shotgun? (A 20/12g shotgun at that).If I want to shoot conventional bullets, why would I choose a big, doofy gun like the judge? I'd just buy and use a 'real' pistol.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:28 PM   #12
dajowi

Had a Judge. They had the worse grips ever. The .410 shells expanded and the hulls got stuck in the chambers...constantly. It was both novel and not accurate with .45's. The Judge had a 6" barrel so I imagine that the 3" was less accurate. I sold it for a Redhawk .44. No comparison.
Old January 10, 2017, 11:39 PM   #13
stolivar

You know he is asking about the governor

If you have never shot it why are you giving us your opinions... you are just wasting everyone's time. I had no problems with accuracy with 45 act or long colt at 25 yards. Second I had great accuracy out of federal 000 buck out of it. At 10 yards 30 feet I could keep all the pellets in a 5 inch circle.

Steve
Old January 10, 2017, 11:47 PM   #14
FNS-40

Never shot one but would gladly take one to sit next to my other gimmick gun (desert eagle.50ae)
Old January 10, 2017, 11:59 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
S&W Governor? Gimmick or Good Idea?
You're several years late! It all started with the Taurus Judge, and Taurus hate in general. Had S&W not copied the Judge, and been the first major manufacturer with the 45/410 revolver it would have been deemed the greatest self defence inovation since smokeless powder!
Quote:
It's better than the Judge, I think we can all safely say that
You unsafely said that! No we all can't or won't say that.
My Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly has been excellent. Surprisingly accurate with both 45 Colt, and 410 buckshot. At 10 or so feet it patern density with #8 shot is plenty good to ruin any slithery critter's day. With Federal Personal Defense Handgun 000 buckshot holding into a 3" circle @ 10 yards, and 45 Colt Winchester PDX1 shooting closer to 2" it could be a car jacker's nightmare. The purposes for which I have put my PD Poly at the ready for.
Besides, it's a lot of fun to just blow stuff up with at the range.
The Smith may be finished nicer, and have the "approved" name, but it doesn't do anything better for twice the money as the Judge.
The concept, yes usefull for certain purposes. The gun, yes, if you just must have ghe S&W logo, and have $$$ to pay for it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2017, 01:41 AM   #16
bamaranger

some

It's a love hate thing with the Judge/Governor and what ever other office they decide to label the next one. How about the Court Clerk, or the Bailiff, and let's not forget the Probation Officer!

They do nothing for me, and I"m with other comments regards real pistols or a genuine .410 shotgun. But......

I've been in several shops where the staff says they sell like hotcakes. Somebody must be buying them.
Old January 11, 2017, 07:00 AM   #17
fourbore

I appreciate the question. I know I have looked at these and wondered about it. I am not so cynical about these revolvers. Probably not for me. I dont know, never say never.

If I had more disposable income I might buy one. It would not be for 45L, just as a 410. I think there is a lot of appeal to play around with one. The majority of my firearms are for some type of fun or sport, its not all dead serious stuff. It is a hobby.

The ammo companies now load special revolver/buck loads in 2 1/2 410. That means these kind of guns are popular and there is special ammo for them.

I sleep fine at night, many are not so lucky and a big blaster like that might instill some confidence and that is 99% of what a home defense gun is about.
Old January 11, 2017, 07:41 AM   #18
fourbore

Just thinking, it is ironic that Taurus has based a big part of their business copying S&W models and ideas and now we have S&W copying Taurus!
Old January 11, 2017, 07:55 AM   #19
Lohman446

A lot of you are giving Taurus far too much credit in regards to the ingenuity department. The Thunder 5 predated the Judge by a large margin.
Old January 11, 2017, 07:58 AM   #20
Hal

Quote:
You're several years late! It all started with the Taurus Judge, and Taurus hate in general. Had S&W not copied the Judge, and been the first major manufacturer with the 45/410 revolver it would have been deemed the greatest self defence inovation since smokeless powder!
Taurus copied the design from the Thunder Five, made from 1992 through 1998 - so it wasn't just a flash in the pan type of thing, the Thunder Five was made for a good 6 years.
Old January 11, 2017, 08:00 AM   #21
shootbrownelk

Not surprised at all that S&W copied the Taurus Judge, seeing as how many Taurus has sold since they introduced it. S&W just wants a slice of that pie. To answer that question about just using a shotgun instead, I find it cumbersome to pack both my 30.06 and a shotgun while Elk hunting. The Judge comes in handy for the Blue & Ruffed grouse I encounter while pursuing Elk and Deer or the Rattlesnakes I see while Antelope hunting.
Old January 11, 2017, 09:26 AM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
If you have never shot it why are you giving us your opinions... you are just wasting everyone's time.
I don't need to have shot one to know it is the dumbest revolver to come down the pike in a long time. As I said, we raffled one off at my club. Just picking it up and pointing it told me I had no interest whatsoever in acquiring one.
Old January 11, 2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Targa

Exactly why I take opinions with a grain of salt and try things for myself, a number of people that give their opinions..good or bad.. about something do not have first hand experience with that something.
Old January 11, 2017, 10:27 AM   #24
shootbrownelk

Opinions are like bowel evacuation holes, everybody has one. Some folks just think their opinions are the only correct ones...they consider themselves experts on everything.....yawn.
Old January 11, 2017, 11:01 AM   #25
BearBrimstone

I personally see it as more of a gimmick, but thats not to say I wouldn't want one. Its on my list of future guns to purchase mainly as a fun range gun.