The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Georgian

Wilson 870 extension problem

I recently purchased a Wilson +1 extension kit for a 1980s vintage 870 Express (standard 4 shot mag tube).

Upon receiving the kit, I immediately installed the provided follower, spring, and extension. I then attempted to load five Estate brand 00 buck shells, but could only fit four shells in the mag tube.

I then tried a mixture of Federal FC 00 buck and Federal 7 1/2 bird load but still could not get five shells as advertised.

The Estate shells are similar to Academy Monarch brand 00 buck in construction, and measure a hair over 2 5/8, while the above Federal shells were both slightly shorter.

I have searched the net high and low and found several other reports of the same problem, but no clear solution. I've read it might be the spring length, Wilson follower, or both.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Old December 6, 2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Screwball

Did it have the black retainer to hold the OEM spring inside the tube?
Old December 7, 2023, 04:26 AM   #3
Georgian

My 870 I'd of the pre-mag dimple variety. The retainer is of the old style spring cup.

God Bless
Old December 8, 2023, 09:48 PM   #4
Lurch37

I would remove the mag tube spring and the follower, screw the extension back on and carefully see if a shell will slide all the way to the end/into the extension. Is the provided spring shorter or longer than your original one? Is the provided follower shorter or longer than your original?

In the review section on the Wilson site, a guy states that his 1978 pre dimple 870 won't accept 5 shells with the supplied follower. When he uses his original follower he can get 5 shells in.

Last edited by Lurch37; December 8, 2023 at 09:56 PM.
Old December 9, 2023, 09:53 AM   #5
rc

What vintage is your 870? It does sound like a dimple problem. I have heard of guys using the right size socket to iron them out or drilling away the dimple. I have not used either method personally. My 870 express came with the 2 shot extension installed and fits 6. It can be converted back to a standard shotgun with a longer barrel and regular end cap and was never dimpled.
Old December 9, 2023, 11:02 AM   #6
Georgian

I've very familiar with dimple mag tubes, as I own a new 870 Fieldmaster. This old early 870 Express did not have them. They were shipped with a magazine spring cup to hold the mag spring in place when you removed the mag cap.

After some tinkering last night, I was able to determine the culprit is in fact the Wilson Combat tailed follower. I have used one for years in this very same 870. Despite how visible and high quality it mag be, it simply restricts how much room you have for shells inside the extension. I tried using a factory Remington follower, and can easily fit 5 shells in the tube now. I have since placed an order for several S&J cup style followers.

God Bless
Old December 10, 2023, 12:43 AM   #7
rc

Glad you figured it out.