The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
dcbuilder

Mossberg 500 - hopefully an easy question

Bought a brand new one about 1.5 years ago. First time firing it today in the country, and I can't load more than 2 shells into the magazine tube. The capacity should be 5. I put the first one in, good. 2nd one, good. 3rd one and I can only move the 2nd one further into the tube about 1/2" and then it's like the tube stops completely. I can load a 3rd shell through the ejection port to make it a 2+1, but it should be a 5+1.

Has anyone run into this trouble before? I want to give it another go tomorrow, and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 13, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
3 gun

Easy one. You still have the plug in the mag. Get your book out, remove the barrel, tip the mag down and shake. The plug will drop out. Be sure you check your laws about rounds loaded restrictions when hunting before you take it to the field.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old July 13, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
oneounceload

sounds like the plug is still in the magazine, which limits you to 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber to comply with fed requirements for migratory birds - just take it out if you're not hunting ducks, geese, doves, etc. governed by that law
Old July 13, 2008, 07:40 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Now tell the feller how to remove it... Take off the barrel nut at mag tube. Slide back action halfway, pull off barrel so it don't fall off. Put in the 2 shells 3rd one will push the dowel towards the hole... you may need to use coathanger/ice pick to guide it out... push on 3rd shell pop out dowel... reverse to put it together... only tighten the nut hand tight (I go ahead and tighten one click more with pliers.)...
Brent
Old July 14, 2008, 08:12 AM   #5
dcbuilder

Thanks for taking the time fellas. That was an easy one! Thanks again for your help!