The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Risasi

Lead Free Primers?

Anybody have any experience finding these as a component? If so how was their experience with accuracy and reliability? I'm specifically looking for indoor range use in SP and LP primers.

It seems like there ought to be something by now. There was a blip on the radar in the late 2000's on multiple websites. Reports of reliability issues and limited shelf life due to hygroscopic properties, it's like they are gone. Lame duck product?

I read PMC and Tula used to make them, and also CCI, but their websites aren't turning up any product pages.

I searched on Midway and Brownells, but it only seems to be loaded leade free ammunition that I find.
Old August 20, 2016, 11:53 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Midway and Brownell's et al are usually talking about lead free bullets.
Old August 20, 2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Ocraknife

I found these:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fio...fo/965445SMZP/

-Jimro
Old August 22, 2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Risasi

Thank you! Much appreciated. Not too bad, about four cents a primer.
Old August 22, 2016, 12:23 PM   #5
BigJimP

Are you shooting at ranges that require "non toxic" primers..??

I have not seen NT primers for sale.../ although I still pick up some brass once in a while labeled NT ( mostly FED or WIN )...in 9mm or .45 acp.

( my local indoor ranges ...have good ventilation systems, so I'm not too worried about NT primers )...and they do require jacketed or plated bullets, to cut down on the smoke.
Old August 22, 2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Risasi

Most people around here shoot outdoors, but it can be 40 minute to 1 1/2 hour trip to an outdoor range or somewhere safe to shoot.

Alright, full disclosure:

I'm experimenting with these. Sometimes I teach people new to firearms when they ask for help. I'm looking at reduced loads that are also lead free for training purposes. Just rudimentary safety and familiarization when showing someone new to firearms the ropes. (Quite a few the past four years...)

And to answer the direct question, there are about three indoor ranges around town. While much more convenient, the two I have direct experience with do have air quality precautions in place, but I've still caught a whiff of burned propellant and had tried firing some cast lead at one range and the smoke from the lube sort of curls around and lingers too. Now I avoid shooting cast there...and others I see doing it too.

Actually I'd prefer to avoid those ranges if I can, so this would allow me to have a training round which could safely be used on someone's acreage (even in a garage) where they might not otherwise be able to fire a full power cartridge safely. I guess chalk it up to having another tool in the toolbox.