The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 29, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Big Caliber

Which bedding compound?

Perusing my Brownell's catalog I find a ton of different TYPES of compounds, from Acraglas to Acraglas Gel to Steel Bed to Devcon to Glasbed. Liquids, putties, mix, no-mix, AGHHHHHH! All I want to do is bed a Savage 110fp to a laninate stock I got from Sharp Shooter Supply. I called them and they said I should only use a minimal amount of compound. But which compound? I welcome your input and recomendations. Also, do I just bed the action? or the lug? or a fraction of the barrel? or some or all of the above? Thanks ahead o' time.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Scorch

I still like and use AgraGlas. It is easier to use, more forgiving, and hardens up as hard as you could possibly want it if you mix it even close to right. It oozes, leaks, drips, smears, and all those other things, but it is the best. I have used AgraGlas Gel, Micro-Bed, SteelBed, and a variety of other bedding compounds and epoxies, but the original AgraGlas is still the best.

As for how much to bed:
* Mask off the front and sides of the recoil lug with 2 or 3 layers of masking tape, leaving the rear of it exposed. Coat the entire action and screws with release agent. Bed it then remove the tape, it will have the appropriate clearance.
* You want to have the action screw approximately in the middle of the bedded area, so bed approximately 1 inch up the barrel and 1 inch behind the screw. Before you do, coat everything with release agent.
* Also coat the rear of the action with release agent and put an area of bedding compound under the rear of the action where the rear action screw attaches.
* Did I mention to make sure you coat everything with release compound?
Old May 30, 2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Clemson

I use Acraglas for crack repair and skim coating. I use Acraglas Gel for bedding. The gel is somewhat easier to keep in one place prior to seating the barreled action in the stock. It is also easier to mix (1:1 vs 4:1). Either will do what you want to do.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 30, 2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Ifishsum

I have used the Acraglas Gel and the Miles Gilbert Bedrock, both with good success. The Bedrock is substantially cheaper IIRC and comes with an additive so you can change the consistency of the mix before you apply it.

How much I bed depends somewhat on the action type, but usually I bed the recoil lug area and the first 1.5-2 inches of the barrel (floating the barrel) and the rear action area at the spot where it bears on the wood. On a Savage you want the tang to float as well, you're bedding the action right behind the trigger where the screw is and I often remove a little material under the tang and do the dollar bill test there as well.
Old May 30, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Big Caliber

Well, thank you for the input. I shall proceed slowly, and with release agent.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Most people use the Acraglass Gel because it doesn't run out like the thinner standard types do.

For a release agent, many use Johnson's Paste Wax.
Apply a generous coat with a brush and DON'T wipe it off.
This is actually a better release agent, and it's easier to remove.
Simply rinse off with paint thinner.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:01 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Shoot it first, then buy an Acraglas gel kit, if and only if it doesn't shoot well as is.
Follow the directions on the box. Bed the receiver and under the chamber area of the barrel only. The recoil lug will be done as part of this.