The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 22, 2024, 06:42 AM   #1
BarryLee

Georgia: Sales Tax Holiday for Gun Purchases

A group of lawmakers in Georgia are proposing a Bill to create a Sales Tax Holiday for purchases of guns, ammunition and accessories. This holiday would run for 11 days in October. Well, I have no idea if this might pass, but can't think of any real negative if it does.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...20each%20year.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 23, 2024, 11:36 AM   #2
jmr40

GA has a huge budget surplus. Business has been good for the last few years. They have done several tax holidays for various purposes over the last few years. They suspended the gas tax twice in the last year for 3 months each time and still sent every taxpayer an extra $400 tax refund the last 2 years.

There is no reason they can't afford to do it, but I'd think it more likely to pass as part of a broader tax holiday when everything is tax free for a few days. I don't see it passing as a stand-alone holiday. But then I could be wrong.

Winston Churchill