The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Bill DeShivs

Best Manual?

I'm about to start reloading.
What is the most comprehensive all around reloading manual?
Thanks.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Lyman !
Old January 9, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Don P

ABC of reloading Edition #7. and Lee" new 2nd Edition All new data in an easy to read format. I did purchase the latest ABC of reloading Edition #10 and was not impressed at all with it. Just my opinion on the books. Lee's book give you 158 pages loaded with much good reading from the introduction to reloading to muzzle loaders.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
I'm about to start reloading.
What is the most comprehensive all around reloading manual?
There are three which are considered classics:

- Lyman's (48th and/or 49th editions)
- Sierra
- Speer

You can't go wrong with any of the above, but Lyman is easily #1 to start -- and one you will constantly refer back to over many, many years.

(postscript: Bill, Almost 6,000 posts... and just starting to reload?)
Old January 9, 2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

There is no "best" of anything.

Lyman #49 is the one I recommend. Its beginning chapters not only tell you how to reload, they also tell you what to buy to get started.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 9, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
compglock17

I have both they Lyman(49) and the Lee manuals. If you are using strictly Lee products, the Lee manual is tailored to their products and makes things easier, IMO. The Lyman is GREAT for an all around reference.
Old January 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
David Wile

Hey Bill,

I use a half dozen or more different brand manuals, and I have been using the many editions of those manuals that I have collected over 50 years. I would recommend all the manuals mentioned above; they all have something of value for reloaders.

When talking about a "first" manual for new reloaders, however, I would easily state that if I could only have one manual in my possession, it would be one of the later editions of the Lyman manual for all the reasons mentioned above.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Another Lyman vote. Some of their load data is a little wonky though when compared to other sources.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #9
rclark

Lyman is good if you shoot mostly lead. Next goto, for me, is Hornady. Then Speer. Lee is last, but still have it as a reference. All have good info... Never hurts to have several manuals (and editions of same manuals) around. I have not bought a Sierra manual so no comment on it. I shoot 99% revolver BTW.... Rifle shooters may have a 'different' perspective.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
jimbob86

I've got a half dozen .... I like my Speer #13 ..... most concise, I think.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Hook686

I use two handgun powders, Unique and 2400. I use 1 rifle powder, 3031. I find the Lyman manual the most useful, though I have looked through the Speer and the Hornady. I use the Alliant and Hodgdon web sites more than the latter two manuals, but they are comforting to have on my bookshelf.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #12
jag2

All the manuals serve two functions, some education and handy tips about reloading, and load data. They all tend to hype their own products (why wouldn't they). Lyman seems slanted towards lead, fine if you want to get into casting or just plan to shoot lead almost exclusively, Lee discusses their products, Hornady and Sierra tend to show more of their lines of bullets than others. They are all helpful in their own way for education purposes. When it comes to load data I think the overall winner is Lee because the are just compiling data from the other manuals, they don't do their own testing. They have a good selection to choose from for most calibers in an easy to use format that will satisfy most reloaders. Again, if there is a specific caliber that is not mainstream or if you plan to cast and load a lot of lead, then some other manual may serve you better. Reloading education is an ongoing process, you don't need all the manuals to get started but I think you'll find as the years go by you will end up with several of them.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:29 PM   #13
mumbo719

Lyman 49th and Lee 2nd edition.

Not at all happy with the Hornady 8th edition.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:47 PM   #14
serf 'rett

Lyman - top of the heap.
Speer is close behind but limited in bullets listed (theirs).
Lee has different viewpoint and shameless self promoting that makes for interesting reading.

But what do I know with my foray into reloading being so recent.
Old January 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Jim243

Lyman 49th

Jim
Old January 9, 2012, 05:57 PM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
Not at all happy with the Hornady 8th edition

Why, pray tell?
Old January 9, 2012, 06:24 PM   #17
roachcore

I like the Lyman 49th and the Lee 2nd

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old January 9, 2012, 06:56 PM   #18
GTOne

I have the Lyman#49, Lee Second and Speer#14.

Reading through the Speer now as I just got that one delivered a couple days ago. It has lots of interesting info on ballistics and firing tables and all the nice charts that I will never care to try to understand, most likely.

This is from a new reloader guy's perspective. They all do have some interesting reading, they all do have information that the other two do not cover, whether it be pertinent is subjective and up to the user.

Each one spends plenty of print tooting their own horns.

The easiest load data to dechipher is probably the Lee. I like that I know the usable volume of a cartridge and how much of that room a given powder will use up, the Lyman is nice and has loads of info, interesting info on powder there too.

I'm not really impressed with the coverage of load data for the books, it is a little spotty. The powder manufacturer sites seem to do as well or better, and probably more recent. Places like here, THR, Brian Enos' reloading forum area are filled with load data or at least many folks willing to give a decent and safe idea where to start, along with favorite 'recipes'.

I enjoy reading in general and they are all worth having, I think.
Pick up the booklets from the powder manufactuers too, those are free from Grafs or wherever when you order supplies.
When the net is down and you have no power you can still reference data from books.
Old January 10, 2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Thanks!
Old January 10, 2012, 12:18 AM   #20
dacaur

the best manual is the same one that tells you what the best gun is, what the best bullet is, the best powder, and the best way to vote.....
Old January 10, 2012, 01:23 AM   #21
80viking

Next to a Lyman reloading manual, Pet Loads by Ken Waters is a must have.
Old January 11, 2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

I understand.
For those that didn't understand, I'll rephrase the question (though it appears to have been answered.)

My experience with reloading consists of using Lee Loaders in the 1970s. I recently bought a press and am looking for a good, general loading manual for a beginner. My primary purpose for reloading is saving money on practice ammunition. I will be loading: .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .45 ACP. .38/.357,
maybe 9mm, .303 British, .223, maybe 7.62 X 39.
At this point, I'm not looking to build precise target loads
Old January 11, 2012, 06:38 PM   #23
rebs

I have the Lyman 45th edition and am wondering if I need a newer edition ?
The powders I am working with are unique, bullseye and 2400, all of which I have had a long time. Should I continue to use my data from the 45 edition or when I buy new powder do I need new data on the powders since Alliant has taken over ?
Old January 11, 2012, 07:23 PM   #24
overkill0084

I'll chime in with the obligatory Lyman 49th. If you only have one to start, this is it. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good add if you intend to play with cast bullets. I also have the Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition. Additionally, don't forget to download the free data from the powder manufacturers. Also, the caliber specific Loadbooks might be worth a look as well, they compile data from everywhere.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 11, 2012, 07:30 PM   #25
rtpzwms

see post 21 +1