The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
ppsi

Getting .223 cases oriented all up or all down

I have 2k + of 223 brass I am reloading. After preparation I am wishing there was a way to get the cases in a bucket or bin with them all in one direction. Any ideas Ar greatly appreciated.
Thwnks
Old January 7, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
lockinload

Easy, put them in strainer used for separating media. Shake the pan and they will stand up on their own. The heavier part of the casing migrates to the bottom. Works like a flip tray for primers.
Old January 10, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
ppsi

I don't own a "media strainer " I use something else to separate the media from cases. It is a round stainless steel strainer used in commercial pool filters and it does not behave the way you suggest. Is there another container I can use to get the cases neck end up?
Old January 10, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Servant

You could try a cat litter box tool (used to get the poop out of the litter box). The slots should be big enough to let the mouth end go in, without being too big to let the brass pass through, and they are cheap at wally-world! (For the record, I don't have a cat, but plan on getting one of these for the reason of separating media from the brass, so am not sure about the size & am sure that they are not a one size deal) Take a piece of brass with you next time you go to the store and see.

Regards,

Jay
Old January 10, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Eazmo

Hire the neighbor kid

I use the 1 gallon ice cream tubs for brass storage and if you hold it at an angle and shake them back and forth they kinda stack up and it's easier to grab by rims or mouths .
Old January 11, 2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Bailey Boat

I don't know if it would work on 223 but I use the plastic bags from the grocery to dump my empty shotshell hulls into at the range. When I get ready to reload them I "bounce" the bag on the bench top and 99% of them orientate themselves base down which makes it easy to grab a handful and place them next to the press ready to go.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
swmike

I just put mine in the case feeder and it takes care of it all

After deprimed/sized/trimmed with one pass through the press I then clean and repeat after changing tool head.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old January 12, 2012, 08:37 AM   #8
3kgt2nv

Quote:
I just put mine in the case feeder and it takes care of it all

amen. case feeders solve all kinds of time consuming tasks when reloading higher volume calibers.
Old January 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Servant

I learned that my 9 year old girl loves to help daddy sort the brass for me. It turned something that was tiresome into a father/daughter activity (no, I don't have a son ).
Old January 12, 2012, 09:40 AM   #10
hounddawg

If you like to tinker this might give you a few ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzft...endscreen&NR=1
Old January 12, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Servant

Hound dog, that was pretty cool! He must be a pipe fitter!
Old January 12, 2012, 12:41 PM   #12
hounddawg

I think he must be related to Rube Goldberg.

I tinkered around for a couple of hours just trying to do the bottom half of that thing and never did get the timing fine tuned for getting a case into the shellplate. After I finish my new honey do list I am going to try it again. The case collator would be the easy part in my opinion and be made out of a microwave turntable motor or for what the OP wants to do even hand turn it.