The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 30, 2024, 10:09 PM   #1
1972RedNeck

Rockite Stock

Worked over my Savage Axis 22-250 stock. Drilled and epoxied an 8" long 5/16" bolt through the grip into the stock. Filled all the voids in the action area with epoxy. Filled the for end with Rockite. Filled the stock completely with Rockite.

Added just shy of 2 pounds of weight. Stock is now rigid. For end is still more flexible than I like but better than it was.

Went from solid MOA to .8ish MOA with the cheapest ammo I could find on ammo seek. The added weight makes it so I can now stay on target between shots.

$10 well spent. Brought the total cost of the rifle up to $290. Couldn't be happier.
Old April 1, 2024, 10:59 AM   #2
taylorce1

Do you only shoot it from a bench? I've seen this done a couple of times. I've also seen where people epoxy aluminum or carbon fiber arrow shafts in the forend. I think I'd try the arrow shafts before I tried Rockite, just because I'd use a .22-250 for a calling rifle more than a bench gun.
Old April 1, 2024, 01:17 PM   #3
1972RedNeck

It will probably never see a bench - just the flatbed of my pickup for shooting varmints and beer bottles. I wish I would have added a piece of 5/16" ready bolt to the for end as well, but I don't think it would have affected accuracy as long as the for end stays free floated.

I wanted the extra weight to reduce recoil so I could watch the bullet hit.
Old April 1, 2024, 04:11 PM   #4
jmr40

It does what you want it to do and you like it. That's all that matters.

But going to .8 MOA from 1 MOA wouldn't be worth 2lbs to me. I used to have a link saved that showed some testing done by one of the long range target shooting websites a few years ago.

They did some testing with rifles that shot 1 MOA, .75 MOA, .5 MOA and .3 MOA. The target was a 10" steel plate at 700 yards.

As said, I no longer have the link, so these numbers are approximations based on memory. Not swearing this is exact. But they determined there just wasn't that much difference.

The 1 MOA rifle hit the target roughly 85% of the time, the .3 MOA rifle was roughly 95%. The .75 MOA and .5MOA rifles were somewhere between 85% and 95%.

That mirrors my experience. From field shooting positions a 1 MOA rifle is about as accurate as a .5 MOA or better rifle. You just can't hold either rifle well enough to take advantage of more than about 1 MOA.

On a dedicated benchrest rifle in a competition where a slight edge in long range accuracy matters; it matters. But for me, no.

Winston Churchill
Old April 1, 2024, 05:04 PM   #5
LAH

I can see where 2 lb would really help.
Old April 1, 2024, 05:12 PM   #6
georgehwbush

1972RedNeck: happy for you. and i agree totally. i love those axis rifles, the most bang for the buck i have ever found.

i even use pennys for targets at 100yds for my 223 axis.

ya just gotta love accuracy for cheep, ya just gotta!
Old April 1, 2024, 08:23 PM   #7
1972RedNeck

Quote:
ya just gotta love accuracy for cheep, ya just gotta!
Pretty sure it's just a marketing ploy. I've got 3 or 4 more Axis rifles on my want list now...