The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2014, 03:50 AM   #26
Rob96

Yeah, quite a few more now. In the fall of 2012 I was out for archery in Schnecksville. While it was still dark I just sat there listening to five different coyotes howling. I would say just about every time I go out I see at least one. Called one in with a distress call and have also called one in by accident while out for spring turkey. So much for my turkey calling skills.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Gunplummer

Wait till you pull a bear in with a turkey call!
Old January 7, 2014, 10:49 PM   #28
imp

Hmmm...

I may have to get aquainted with this. Atleast it could be a good excuse to get in the woods a little more.
Old January 9, 2014, 05:15 PM   #29
Chestnut Forge

DCNR put up $700000 for the bounty. That's based on 28000 coyotes killed. I don't think it has passed yet, and from what I've read the PGC is against it.
Old January 10, 2014, 03:39 AM   #30
Rob96

The way I read it in our local paper it was a done deal.
Old January 10, 2014, 07:11 AM   #31
Chestnut Forge

Any details on how to collect? I just need to know what part of the 'yote I need to keep and who to take them to. In Utah its the head or bottom jaw.
Old March 14, 2014, 09:40 AM   #32
kilotanker22

That's the first I've heard of it but I unfortunately spend the majority of my time on a gas well pad.

We do have some big ones here though! A few years ago I killed a female coyote that tipped the scales at 62 pounds! I sold it to a taxidermist friend who was looking for a pretty yote. For his shop.

She was healthy too. Next time I see him I will get a picture of the mount and post
Old March 15, 2014, 09:03 AM   #33
Gunplummer

There you have it. The bill was passed allocating the cash, but nobody is giving it out. Still a rumor until I see where to get the money.
Old March 16, 2014, 05:55 PM   #34
TimSr

Quote:
The fashion designers just need to make coyote fur coats popular.
That would take care of things in a hurry.
You hit the nail on the head there. The collapse of the US fur trade has created overpopulation problems for several species.
Old March 16, 2014, 08:04 PM   #35
mete

Nice thing about PA and NY coyotes , 20 % have wolf genes, which explains the 70 pounders !!
Old March 16, 2014, 10:11 PM   #36
.45 Vet

I smell a coyote tag coming up.

My thoughts also. I also don't like the state putting taxpayer money into the game commission.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:37 AM   #37
BoogieMan

I have a nice plot in Tioga Cnty, less than a mile from NY.. Years ago we had a fair number of hogs and it was very rare to see or hear a yote. Now its hard to sleep some nights with all the yotes, but no pigs at all. Out of 12 guys hunting 260+- acres last year we pulled 2 dear in a week. The question is, if we blast all the yotes back to earlier numbers will it give a chance for pigs to move back?
Either way I will be looking for yotes on the days im on the property. Bounty or not they are killing the hunting. Deer, grouse, turkey are all getting to be a rare sight.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 21, 2014, 09:11 PM   #38
22-rimfire

Does this mean you can use AR's for coyotes in PA?
Old March 23, 2014, 01:29 AM   #39
stevelyn

So what's worth more in PA, the coyote hide as prepped and sold to a fur-buyer or the bounty from whacking it?

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:55 AM   #40
born2climb

It is almost funny to think the same group of folks can, with the stroke of their mighty pens, declare an animal "endangered", and thereby protected from human endangerment....or declare the same animal a nuisance, and even pay to have it killed. Oh to imagine a life devoid of politicians....
Old March 24, 2014, 04:13 PM   #41
NCummins

You'd get more than $25 for the fur. Trapiing is the most effective way to get rid of yotes. Lots of guys catch 50+ a year.
Old March 26, 2014, 01:24 AM   #42
johnwilliamson062

Is the bounty exclusive to the pelt or can you collect both?
Old March 26, 2014, 06:10 PM   #43
mquail

Quote:
Another possible negative is in something I have read stated that increased hunting pressure leads to increased breeding. Has anyone else heard that, or confirm that it happens?
I've read a couple of papers that said coyote's response to heavy hunting pressure was to increase litter size.

"Litter size significantly increased in the removal area 2 years after the beginning of exploitation.
However, changes in litter size were confounded by changes in the prey base. Litter size was
significantly related to rabbit abundance, while rodent abundance was less of a factor influencing
reproductive effort. Accounting for both changes in prey abundance and coyote density, litter
size was significantly related to total prey abundance/coyote. With increasing prey and reduced
coyote density, mean litter size doubled in the removal area compared to pre-removal levels" http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...dm_wdmconfproc

Last edited by mquail; March 27, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:41 PM   #44
Cowboy_mo

Quote:
With increasing prey and reduced
coyote density, mean litter size doubled in the removal area compared to pre-removal levels"
In reading the paper, it sounded like they studied and area that was hunted hard and then hunting was stopped. Then they observed the return of more coyotes. I also noted from the paper that the increased litter size was linked to an increase in the rabbit population following the removal of the coyotes.

Based on their findings, I suggest that as PA hunters begin lowering the coyote population, they should also increase their rabbit hunting. This will keep both the rabbit and coyote populations in check.
Old March 27, 2014, 07:45 AM   #45
BoogieMan

I havent seen a rabbit on my piece of ground in at least 20 years. But, we have plenty of coyotes. Its not just rabbit. Grouse, turkey, fawn, etc...
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown