The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1
redfox44

Loading the .204?

I just picked up my second .204 (Savage Model 10 Predator in snow camo) and just love shooting this caliber.

I have my CZ American sigted in with the 32gr vmax, and the Savage 40 gr vmax. both shooting good groups.

I want to do what I did with my .270 and load it down to a very accurate cartridge but hoping to get some input on where to start.

I am considering the 40gr Hornady VMax, or the Sierra .39 gr Blitzking because I will be doing a lot of fox and coyote hunting with them.

Any suggestions on where to start loading this would be appreciated.
I usually use CCI primers, are they fine for this small of a caliber?

Thanks
Old December 13, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Qtiphky

I have a CZ 527 American as well. I have used the following loads for the Hornady 40 gr Vmax. Each shot well out of my gun. Accur 2520 25.8 grns with CCI Small Rifle Primers (extremely windy day shot 1.08 at 100 yrds); Varget 26grns CCI small rifle (shot .76 @ 100). I love this gun and so does my 12 year old. Low recoil and noise, but we haven't had a chance to test it on any 'yotes yet. Does a spectacular job on milk jugs filled with water and that's what make a 12 year old happy and want to keep shooting!