The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
praetorian97

5.7 x 28

Anyone reloading 5.7 x 28 ammo?

(typicall found in the P90 or FN 5.7)

Curious what you have the cost per round down to.
Old December 2, 2011, 06:55 AM   #2
darkgael

I have been reloading the little round for about five or six years. I am probably not the best person for comparison since most of what I use for this round has been in my stock for years and costs me very little or was given to me and cost me nothing.
For plinking, I load 45 gr. SPs or 55 gr. FMJs - I have thousands, bought years ago - on top of a number of different propellants - from Unique to True Blue to HS-6. I have had brass accumulated for years so I don't consider it as a cost.
So...the costs for me are primers (even there...I am using primers that were given to me) and six or seven grains of powder.....1/1000th the cost of a pound....about 2.5 cents. Replacement cost of primers is about three cents. The bullets were about five cents each (maybe less, I don't remember) So....just over ten cents a round (but really less...).
Pete
Old December 2, 2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Ike666

I've been accumulating brass for my 5.7 (FN FiveseveN pistole) for about two year now, but I've been hesitant to take the plunge. Most of the brass is from once-fired FN plinker ammunition (bought bulk from Cabelas).

My concern is the brass preparation. I've heard so many variations on the purpose of the lacquer coating that I've put off starting the reloading process. I like bright shiny brass for reloading and even after running the 5.7 brass though an ultrasonic cleaner it looks just like it did when it was ejected. How important is preserving the lacquer and how many reloads does it hold up to?

I've actually filled out the order form twice for the shell plate for my 550 from Elite and then chickened out at the last minute.

So, I'd be real interested in hearing about people's experiences with brass prep for the 5.7 pistol or the AR57. I'd consider getting the upper if I could bulk reload this ammo.

Last edited by Ike666; December 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old December 2, 2011, 06:55 PM   #4
sigcurious

this might help

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Your post got me curious as I'm currently getting into reloading and a Five Seven(grumbles something about not being able to own a ps90 where I live) is high on my list of wants. Seems to be a nice treasure trove of info about loading 5.7x28
Old December 2, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
praetorian97

The ammo cost is the main reason I havent bought one yet.

Trying to keep up 40 S&W/45 ACP/ .223 stocks are bleeding me dry.

Definitely think a 5.7 is the ultimate sidearm. I want a p90 but the civ models are ugly with the extended barrel.

If you dont mind me asking. Where do you live that they are banned?
Old December 2, 2011, 09:46 PM   #6
sigcurious

California, but at least I can get a five seven Now where did I put that extra thousand dollars? lol but hopefully by springtime I'll have enough disposable income saved to get one.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Ike666

I've been tracking the fiveseven forum since I got the pistol and it has been helpful. Reading the reloading information is what got me to the edge of taking the plunge.

But, I haven't been lurking there for a while and I've come to have more confidence in the advice I get on this forum.

The explanation that I got for the need for the lacquer on the brass is that it slightly delays the slide recoil after ignition and this is essential to correct operation of the firing cycle in the 5.7 pistol. Then others said that no, it was to make sure the ammunition moved smoothly in the horizontal 50-round magazines for the PS90 or AR57.

In the final analysis, I don't suppose that it matters much that the brass looks dirty as long as it sized and trimmed correctly. In that case I need to get off the dime and start making some cartridges.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
praetorian97

Hey sig sorry to hear that. Better find a 10 round mag for it too.
Old December 3, 2011, 06:44 AM   #9
darkgael

Quote:
ow important is preserving the lacquer and how many reloads does it hold up to?
The coated case is, yes, an element in the delayed blowback system. I have not heard the other idea (but I stopped reading through the fiveseven forum after they had a server crash and all the old - preload book data was lost. Not their fault, just very frustrating.)
Some people manage to get quite a few (?) firings before the coating is compromised. I find that I can get about five or six, depending on how hot I have loaded the round.
The bigger issue is that the shoulder of the 5.7 moves a lot upon firing. The movement is easily noticeable when holding a fired case next to an unfired case. The shoulder blows forward. Consequently, it must be set back. Normal settings on my Rockchucker will not set the shoulder back far enough. The press must be set to "overcam". Simply, that means that the sizing die is turned in to the raised ram as tightly as possible, the cam is lowered and the die is turned in slightly more, so that when a case is being sized, there is contact a bit before the handle has completed to stoke and it must be pushed that bit more to finish (just taking all the slack out of the press/die system).
This effect of this is that the neck/shoulder gets work hardened and becomes prone to splitting. With other cases, annealing would be appropriate....the 5.7 has that coating. I retire the cases after five firings.
There probably is a way to do this more simply (some other shooters do get more loading from their cases) and that info may be at the FiveSeven form. I just have not pursued it.
Pete