The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2002, 08:51 PM   #1
sprayandpray

Remington Model 11/Browning A-5 Query

How does the Remington Model 11/Browning A-5 compare with modern semi-automatic shotguns?

Thanks.
Old September 12, 2002, 09:05 PM   #2
BAD_KARMA

They don't compare with modern shotguns. They are far superior to any gun you can buy today. Machined steel crafted with fit and finish. They set the standard for reliability that is only now being equaled. They recoil harder than a gas gun but lighter than a pump. In thousands of rounds the only problems I have ever seen are when an extractor rips though a rim and when they mis-feed and you get a shell stuck between the bolt and the feeder.

Keep in mind the following things when using these guns.

1. push down very hard on the barrel when tightening the mag cap screw. make sure the barrel extension is flush or recessed with the face of the reciver. This will keep the forarm from cracking.

2. after you oil the mag tube take a clean rag and wipe it all off. These guns need FRICTION to operate properly.

3. Find a manual and make sure to read it so you know how to set the friction rings for hi/low brass shells. This is the most common problem with these guns, loose forarms are the second.
Old September 13, 2002, 04:47 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An outstanding design by JMB, well made and durable as heck.

A decade ago and more, I received a 12 gauge 11, a family gun with Polychoke. New rings and springs ran less than $20 and a gunsmith friend did a complete teardown, clean and lube. He called it the pkg a 10K round rebuild. He also showed me how to set the rings.

Unfortunately, I was less than happy with the way I shot it. A relative has it now.
Old September 13, 2002, 09:59 AM   #4
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Auto5 is superior, in actual use, to the Remington 11. Minor differences which add up -- for MY taste (loading gate is difference, for instance). The guns have to be held firmly for them to cycle but proved reliable. Kick more than gas-operated shotguns but less than Benelli/Beretta recoil-operated models. Probably less accurate with slugs than fixed-barrel designs.
Old September 15, 2002, 03:36 PM   #5
sfoo

The A5 pushbutton lever can be swapped into a Model 11. Or the model 11 one could be machined or ground down so as to match the A5 part, ie, the lifter can be moved without having to push the button. Also, older A5's were not made that way. Just curious what else is different Oleg? And yes I just got a model 11. Very nice shotgun.