The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Beezer

Newb who needs help with accessories

I've inherited a Remington 700, along with a few other guns. As I look around, there are so many choices for accessories, specifically gun cases and scopes. I'm not sure where to start.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • A good hunting scope for the Remington 700 (nothing fancy and expensive since I'm relatively new)
  • A few hard cases that can be locked and can possibly fit more than one gun (don't want a gun safe or cabinet...yet)

First, where is a good place to learn about the differences in scopes and gun cases?

Second, what are the recommendations of the folks here? What scopes do y'all use? What gun cases do y'all have?

Any help is appreciated!
Old November 8, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Carne Frio

It would help to know what caliber the rifle is.
Also, what do you intend to do with it ?
Old November 8, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Beezer

Rifle is a 30-06. I plan on using it for deer hunting and maybe some target shooting (mostly if I'm goofing off with friends).
Old November 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
wogpotter

1. Don't make the classic mistake of getting a "cheap" scope. I guarantee you you'll regret it.

2. If you look at what you want to use it for you'll probably end up with either s 3~9X40, or a 2~8X34 scope as that covers 99% of most hunting & shooting needs.

3. Look online at places like Cabela's, Dicks, & Gander mountain catalogs for the types of gun cases available.

4. Please don't store guns in the cases, that is not what they are designed for & some people have had rust damage caused by doing so. Cases are mainly for transporting guns.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 8, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
wncchester

Deer hunting where, deep woods or the western plains; that matters too!

In any case, for a general purpose scope on an excellant "all around" rifle I suspect you would be well served with a 2-7x32 scope from the Bushnell Elite line, or Burris or Redfield or a low end Luepold. High magnifications is a liabilty in wooded areas and few casual or new hunters will gain a thing by magnifications above about 6x even on long shots with the .30-06. A 32mm objective lens is plenty large; big, fat front ends are a PITA in the woods and they only provide a theroritical light advantage for a very few minutes at dawn and dusk - maybe five minutes? But stay away from scopes in blister packs at Walmart, they often have fair optics but have weak internals; you don't want a failure to hold zero when you're hunting! (And avoid those god-awful "see-throgh" mounts.)

Some folk tout the most expensive glass as if "lesser" scopes are useless - that's obviously not true! More costly glass requires excellant eyes to even see a difference and then it matters only when staring through the scope for much longer than a hunter typically does. In some 55 years of deer hunting I don't think I've ever glassed a shooting deer longer than maybe 10 seconds before firing, usually it's only 1-2 seconds! I don't need a $300+ scope for that and my dead deer never know the difference!
Old November 9, 2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Been there

The cheapest, decent scope is the Vortex Diamondback, another inexpensive offering worth considering is the Redfield Revolution.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Beezer

Quote:
4. Please don't store guns in the cases, that is not what they are designed for & some people have had rust damage caused by doing so. Cases are mainly for transporting guns.
Wogpotter: considering I don't want to go the gun safe or gun cabinet route at this point, do you have any other suggestions for lockable storage of rifles and shotguns? Outside of a lockable hard case, I don't know of any other way to store them.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer
Here's what I'm looking for:

A good hunting scope for the Remington 700 (nothing fancy and expensive since I'm relatively new)
It's already been mentioned, but I'll go ahead and say it again, for emphasis:

Don't scrimp on optics.

Forget bargain basement Chinese scopes. They'll cause you endless headaches, both literally and figuratively. Plan on spending about $200 and up for good glass. You have a nice rifle that needs a good sight to let it shine. There are lots of options in that price range; Weaver, Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell Elite or Legend series, Burris, and more. And another point: be sure to get good quality mounting rings.

Enjoy!
Old November 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
wogpotter

You can buy lots of different shaped "hooks" (more like forks) from places like Home Despot, or Lowes. Screw one that best suits your needs into a SOLID part of the wall & use a bicycle lock to secure the rifle to it by passing through the trigger guard.
Put the gun in a silicone treated gun sock & attach it to the wall like this & you're secure for about $15.00!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10
redneck

I have a flambeau brand rifle case that has an additive in the foam liner that is supposed to prevent rust. Its sturdy enough for a plastic case, would keep children out if locked. I have never left a gun in it for more than a few days but rust was never an issue and I think it cost me about $20.

Take the gun out periodically and give it a wipedown and you will be fine with a case. Safe's are prone to rusting too depending on where you put them. Guns just require periodic maintenance.

As far as scopes, I avoid the really cheap stuff. I have been very happy with the redfield revolution (this line is usa made, I don't know if the imported revenge line is as good), burris fullfield II, and Bushnell Elite series scopes. I find 3-9x40 size range to be the most versatile and usually the most economical.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #11
gk1

If storing in a case with foam lining, put the rifle in an anti-rust bag (Zcorr is one brand) or silicone-impregnated "sock".
Old November 10, 2013, 04:12 PM   #12
SSA

Soft cases are lockable. At least most of them are, probably all. You can use a padlock to lock the zipper closed. Get one with a cordura shell, or something that looks like it will breathe, and keep your gun oiled.
The best deal on a scope that I know of is the Nitrex TR1 at Natchezss on line. It's a discontinued model. The 3-9x40 was $300 in the 2009 Cabela's catalog.
The Burris 2-7X35 is another choice.
There are lots of deals and discounts this time of year.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:59 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Good general gun related sites....

Here are a few sites to check,
www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.midwayusa.com www.brownells.com www.jgsales.com
Old November 12, 2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

When it comes to scopes:

Check out camera land of NY http://www.cameralandny.com/

Start by clicking on the Demo tab at the top. These folks handle many of the well known brands and some you may not recognize like Minox.

After buying Minox binos from them in 2010. I purchased one of their scopes in 3 x 9 x 40 and found it to be equal or better quality than my Nikon or my Leupold scopes.

The "Demo" products have been on display at trade shows or in their shop.

I believe Cameraland is a contributor on this board and they are great people to work with.