The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Echolmes

New mossberg 500

I just purchased a mossberg 500 brand new and it seems to be having trouble pulling shells out of the tube. I've heard to need to be a little forceful sometimes to make it pull them out but even that doesn't work all the time. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Also I can't get the tube to screw away from the breach. I know they use loctite from the factory but are there any tricks to removing it.
Old January 1, 2016, 05:50 PM   #2
FITASC

Loctite? On what? The choke tube? No, they don't.

Did you give it a thorough cleaning before using? Are you using the cheapest crap from walmart for ammo?
Are you talking about getting the empties to eject from the barrel or getting new ammo to be released from the magazine tube to go into the chamber?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 1, 2016, 06:14 PM   #3
Echolmes

Cheap ammo shouldn't matter as far as the gun pulling a shell from the feeding tube and puttin it into the barrel but I've shot several different brands and it's happened with all of them. I know the chokes aren't but the feeding tube won't unthread from the gun.
Old January 1, 2016, 06:18 PM   #4
SC4006

If you're talking about extracting spent shells from the chamber, then it very well could be crap ammo as FITASC said. I recently bought a mossberg 590 which I believe has many similarities with the 500, and I had a lot of trouble with Winchester birdshot target loads being very difficult to extract after firing. My 590 has shot everything else just fine so I've come to the conclusion that cheap Winchester shells are just junk.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 1, 2016, 06:25 PM   #5
FITASC

OK, narrowing it down. The "feeding tube" is the magazine. Have you cleaned the gun? (and especially the mag tube?) Sounds like there might be something that is preventing the shell from being released.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 1, 2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Echolmes

It has no trouble extracting from the chamber only from the magazine and I have cleaned it but it did it the first time I shot it right out of the box. The magazine is also what I'm having trouble gettin off the gun. I want to pull the rod out that limits the amount of shells it'll hold.
Old January 1, 2016, 07:05 PM   #7
g.willikers

The best place to apply torque to unwind the mag tube is at the front end, where the barrel attaches.
It's the thickest and most substantial part, the rest of the tube is thin and can be damaged.
They usually come loose using a large padded vice grip at that end with reasonable effort.
Old January 1, 2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Echolmes

Ok thanks for the help guys. Hopefully once it gets a little more broken in the shells will feed a little easier
Old January 1, 2016, 08:19 PM   #9
amd6547

I've never needed to take off the mag tube to get the limiter off.
It's usually a dowel of wood that comes out through the hole at the front of the tube the barrel screws in to.
Old January 1, 2016, 09:37 PM   #10
Echolmes

the barrel is held on by a bolt on mine it's not a cap like some others I've seen. That's why I have to remove the whole tube the take out the dowel
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (207.5 KB, 34 views)
Old January 1, 2016, 11:24 PM   #11
mman

The dowel will come out of that bolt hole if you shake it enough.
Old January 2, 2016, 12:04 AM   #12
Echolmes

Well now I feel like an idiot haha. Thanks for the help
Old January 2, 2016, 01:58 AM   #13
Blindstitch

Barrel down and shake. The easiest plug to install and remove.
Old January 2, 2016, 10:30 AM   #14
g.willikers

You will still want to occasionally remove the mag tube for cleaning and lubing purposes.
The inside surface, spring and follower can all get mighty grimy.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 2, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old January 2, 2016, 04:45 PM   #15
FITASC

And just a tad bit of moisture and you get rust on the inside
Old January 2, 2016, 06:56 PM   #16
amd6547

When I pulled my beat up Mossberg 500 out of a pile of security company riot guns (literally a pile 3 guns deep) at the gunshow and paid $75 for it, I'm sure it had a rough life, many rounds, and little maintainence.

It didn't get much from me but but lots of shooting.

When I did finally remove the mag tube, it was actually pretty clean inside.

My 500 has been in a few configurations...folder, PGO, wood stock, and now, a 12"lop Hogue Buttstock and their forend. I really like the grip of the Hogue forend.
Old February 13, 2016, 06:42 PM   #17
Orion6

Here's a tip for the hard to feed mag tube -

The shell stop can sometimes be bent or a little out of spec. It's one of the two pieces that come out when you take out the trigger group. I had to bend/tweak mine just a little and now it's good to go. A little trial and error should get you where you want to be.

It doesn't take much. Don't overdo it. But I'd bet you a dollar that's the issue.
Old February 14, 2016, 07:01 PM   #18
Economist

My mag tube spring actually siezed up from rust one day at the trap range. It turned my gun into a single-shot for the rest of the line. It was an easy fix, though, I just had to unscrew the mag tube and spray a bunch of rem oil in there to get the dpeing moving again.
Now I will never neglect the inside of the mag tube when I am cleaning.
Old February 15, 2016, 09:38 AM   #19
njr

FYI I just switched my 500 from 20 to 18 inch barrel and magazine. Mossberg dues indeed loctite the threads on the end of magazine. If you'd like to clean it, switch the spring etc. you need to field strip the receiver especially removing plastic parts then GENTLY heat the threaded portion of the magazine for a few minutes to loosen the loctite.

The trickiest parts are putting the bolt and bolt carrier back together and screwing mag, spring and follower back into the receiver.

Opinions on whether you should loctite the threads on the mag are mixed but one gunsmith online did recommend it and I did notice that the mag had worked itself a little loose through recoil after firing 12 rounds of buckshot the other day. The rational is that the loctite also fills in the gaps between the mag tube threads and the grooves in the receiver, preventing the tube from working out or warping etc.

I would give the loctite 24 hours to cure.

Instructionals for the above are available on YouTube.