The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 29, 2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Orthodox Jews Open Carry AR15s in New York

After a string of attacks on Orthodox Jews and synagogues in NYC, several men in Rockland County, New York open carried AR15s. I’m not quite sure how that squares with Cuomo’s SAFE Act; but good on them for asserting their rights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking9...95543982886912
Old December 29, 2019, 09:08 PM   #2
American Man

Hopefully they won't get in trouble for the 30rd mags when the rest of the state goes back to not caring next week.
Old December 29, 2019, 10:28 PM   #3
jonnyc

Kol HaKavod!
As an IDF vet, an American concealed-carrier for about 30 years, and a self-described gun nut...I salute those guys. I dare the NY govt. to prosecute them for self-defense. I only hope they're smart about flaunting and brandishing.
I've changed a few minds at my PA synagogue, but still full of uncomprehending cheek-turners. I simply do not understand their philosophy.
Old December 30, 2019, 06:38 AM   #4
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Man View Post
Hopefully they won't get in trouble for the 30rd mags when the rest of the state goes back to not caring next week.
Those aren't 30 round .223 magazines, those are 9 round .450 Bushmaster magazines
Old December 30, 2019, 08:23 AM   #5
USNRet93

Certainly not the first time a politically active group who were threatened took up arms to publicly protect themselves.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 30, 2019, 08:59 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

It's a picture with a story made up around it. The gun descriptions aren't accurate and there's no evidence that this is what the pic is all about. What actual news channel was it on? It's something created to excite certain groups. You can figure out who or why?
Old December 30, 2019, 11:01 AM   #7
jonnyc

"It's a picture with a story made up around it. The gun descriptions aren't accurate and there's no evidence that this is what the pic is all about. What actual news channel was it on? It's something created to excite certain groups. You can figure out who or why?"

Not sure which pic you're referring to, or even what your point is. Are you trying to make some "political" statement???
Old December 30, 2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Pahoo

Coming to your local Neighborhoods

EXCELLENT !!!
About 10-yrs. ago we went to Israel and right off, noticed the high level of security. There was a soldier on just about every corner of the street and all carrying Full-Auto weapons. Have to admit that I did feel more secured there that some streets, in Chicago. I grew up in the Iowa Quad-Cities area and lately we have had at least two stabbing and shootings per week. It's becoming common place in areas where I grew up …….

Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2019, 12:26 PM   #9
peterg7

Must’ve got special dispensation from the Pope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 30, 2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest
It's a picture with a story made up around it.
Well, it is certainly worth keeping in mind that this is easy enough to do on Twitter and we want to be careful of confirmation bias when seeing social media that supports the Second Amendment.

Quote:
The gun descriptions aren't accurate and there's no evidence that this is what the pic is all about.
The Twitter post describes them as “rifles” and I described them as AR15s. Both of those descriptions are accurate. The people in the background are wearing yarmulke and Orthodox Jewish clothing. One of the men has a magazine that’s flush with the AR magwell. Another has one of those ban-state abomination grip/stocks. The traffic signs indicate the location is in the United States somewhere although there is no latitude/longitude in the metadata.

So we do have evidence and so far, none of the evidence we have contradicts the tweet.
Old December 30, 2019, 09:05 PM   #11
jonnyc

"About 10-yrs. ago we went to Israel and right off, noticed the high level of security. There was a soldier on just about every corner of the street and all carrying Full-Auto weapons."

Gotta admit, all the time I lived in Israel I generally felt safer than walking the streets of Boston, NYC, or Philly. However I should point out that all those soldiers you saw on street corners were probably just on their way between base and home, not on any kind of security detail.
One of my weirdest experiences was stopping at a bank on the way home from a 2 week training exercise. About 5 minutes into the "serpentine line" I realized I was in a bank, with a loaded M16A1, and nobody gave it a 2nd thought. Got a quick shiver and didn't think about it again.
Old December 30, 2019, 10:09 PM   #12
603Country

Went to Caracas for business, back in the early 80’s. Just before I got there, they started a coup. Got out of my cab at the hotel to find that most folks I saw had sub machine guns. It did not comfort me. Got back in the cab and went back to the airport.
Old January 1, 2020, 12:02 PM   #13
mikejonestkd

link to article : https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news...os-photos.html