The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2015, 01:15 PM   #1
postmaster

Sabot slugs question

Grandson bought me Sabot Accutip Slugs. It says use only in rifled barrel. My shotgun is smooth bore. Will it hurt to shoot them?
Old December 28, 2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Not going to hurt anything, but you will prob not get great accuracy out of the smooth bore.

I Would NOT shoot em thru a choke tighter then modified
Old December 28, 2015, 01:29 PM   #3
postmaster

Thanks for that i'm just going to blow up milk jugs lol
Old December 28, 2015, 01:40 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

You'll have to be very close to those milk jugs. Won't damage anything, but you'll be lucky to hit anything either. If a sabotted tank gun round means anything to you, they sort of the same idea.
Old December 28, 2015, 01:57 PM   #5
amd6547

Years ago, I shot some Remington sabot slugs in a Mossberg 500 with the 24" smoothbore slugster barrel.
I got good accuracy at 50yds, about the same as Foster slugs.
Old December 28, 2015, 03:35 PM   #6
g.willikers

The lack of sights on smooth bore barrels probably has a large effect on how accurate a sabot round can be.
They are designed for rifled barrels with rifle type sights.
Old December 28, 2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Nathan

They probably cost him $3 per shot. If he or a friend has a rifled slug gun, that would be a better use of them.

Slugs for a smooth bore are like $.75 to $1 a shot.
Old December 28, 2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Quote:
The lack of sights on smooth bore barrels probably has a large effect on how accurate a sabot round can be.
Both my Benelli and my Moss 590 have Ghost ring sights and are smooth bore but wont shoot sabot slugs as well as Foster styles.
Old December 28, 2015, 11:12 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
They are designed for rifled barrels with rifle type sights.
Sights have nothing to do with it; the rifled barrel has everything to do with it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 29, 2015, 01:44 AM   #10
stagpanther

Sabot slugs meant for rifled bores need the twist in order to stabilize the slug in flight. What you'll likely get is erratic POI with key-holing of your target. Don't think it will hurt the gun though.
Old December 29, 2015, 07:10 AM   #11
postmaster

Thanks everyone, since you mention they are $3 a slug, I'll trade them in my local store for a box of turkey loads.
Old December 29, 2015, 07:23 AM   #12
Nathan

That is typical. Usually, $13 - $20 for a box of 5.

You have a store that will take ammo on trade??
Old December 29, 2015, 03:24 PM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
I'll trade them in my local store for a box of turkey loads.
Have NEVER seen any store take ammo back for any reason - trade or otherwise. WAY too much liability.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 30, 2015, 09:48 AM   #14
g.willikers

Sabot slugs in smooth barrels test by Boxotruth

No need to guess, here's a test of sabots and smooth bores:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...-bore-barrels/
Old December 30, 2015, 09:59 AM   #15
TimSr

Quote:
Have NEVER seen any store take ammo back for any reason - trade or otherwise.
Same here.

Shoot 'em. No harm will come. They may be less accurrate than foster slugs, (may not be). You might have to bring in your milk jugs from the 100 yard line, at 25 yards you won't notice the difference.
Old December 30, 2015, 10:21 AM   #16
SARuger

One of my local stores will trade rimfire only but nothing that could be re-loads.

If they(your store) won't trade you, trade with someone that has a rifled barrel.

If you get the rifled slugs for your smooth bore you will be better off. For blowing up water jugs, 00 buck is fun
Old December 30, 2015, 11:11 AM   #17
stagpanther

Basically--what that article is saying is sabots for rifled bores will shoot erratically and keyhole when fired through a smoothbore. I have confirmed this with dozens of tries with all kinds of sabot slugs.

The interesting part of the article is that using Brenneke style rifled lead slugs intended for smooth bores appear to fire very well out of rifled bores. Since they are generally cheaper than the modern sabot slugs made specifically for rifled bores that's something to consider--though I suspect there is a bore-fouling price to pay.
Old December 31, 2015, 09:57 AM   #18
postmaster

They didn't take them back, so I shot a couple at milk jugs. I hit both from about 35 yds with my ghost ring sights. They pack a punch for sure.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:00 PM   #19
Gunplummer

I used to live on the border of a shotgun area and knew quite a few guys that used shotguns for deer. A couple of them used lead slugs to sight in a new scope on a rifled bore. They said it got them close and was a lot cheaper than starting out with sabots. Notice the big difference with the scope?
Old January 1, 2016, 01:38 PM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
I used to live on the border of a shotgun area and knew quite a few guys that used shotguns for deer. A couple of them used lead slugs to sight in a new scope on a rifled bore. They said it got them close and was a lot cheaper than starting out with sabots. Notice the big difference with the scope?
I can see that--but even at 50 yds most hunting rifled bore sabots I have used will impact quite a ways off from other brand slugs, so I might do this to get on paper but wouldn't count on it for final sighting accuracy at 100 yds.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Virginian

After shooting rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel one had best clean out the rifling before shooting sabots if they expect accuracy. Worse than lead bullets in hot handgun loads.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:48 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
After shooting rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel one had best clean out the rifling before shooting sabots if they expect accuracy. Worse than lead bullets in hot handgun loads.
Agreed--that's why I said there's a price to pay and I personally am not willing to unnecessarily wear my bore with a bunch of lead cleaning
Old January 25, 2016, 06:42 PM   #23
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Aahh! Slugs for Plinking

Lol,just brought back some"fond"memories! Hope your ok and thanks for sharing.