The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1
jbcricket

45 win mag 250gr speer GDHP problems

i put together 50 rnds of 45 win mags loaded with 250 gr speer gold dot hollow points and went to shoot them out of my LAR Grizzly and ran into an unexpected problem. When i pull the slide back and release, the first round will chamber and fire but the next round gets stuck and wont chamber all the way, the slide stays open about an 8th inch. These particular bullets have a very wide hollow point but that shouldnt be causing this problem. I thought maybe the bullets werent seated deep enough but that doesnt seem to be the issue either... Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?
Old September 8, 2011, 08:46 PM   #2
bfoosh006

try looking at the case crip on the bullet ( they are to slightly to wide to chamber )... if they aren't cripped enough, that could cause a chambering problem
Old September 10, 2011, 11:56 PM   #3
reticle

Aren't those Gold Dots .452 dia? I think 45 Win Mag is spec'd to 451 dia. Might that be the problem?