The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2014, 01:53 AM   #26
Andy Blozinski

That was kind of my thought. It makes even more sense to have both.
Old February 16, 2014, 03:12 PM   #27
NCummins

I like my TLR-1. The spot light beam is 6-8" at inside distances and my groups land consistently within that circle. So I can identify the threat, as well as use the beam as an aiming device.
Old February 16, 2014, 04:12 PM   #28
shortwave

My preference in a light is detached from the gun. Hand held in weak side hand, high and a bit forward as to not light up my body. Also want a bright, stout bodied light that can be used as a weapon as well.

Far as a laser goes, I like them but only the type that has the on/off button in the grip. Such as the Crimson Trace styles for many revolvers. And no, they absolutely should never replace practicing with irons.

But FWIW, in the ideal world, I will be hunkered in the bedroom with a shotgun aimed at the door and there will only be ambient light. No real need for a light when someone is kicking in the locked BD door and they have been warned that LE has been called and that I have a gun.

Last edited by shortwave; February 16, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old February 17, 2014, 02:58 PM   #29
g.willikers

This past Sunday, there was an interesting conversation on this very subject at
the handgunworld.com podcast radio show.
Here's the introduction preceding the podcast.

"A very large number of citizens who defend their life with a gun, do so in low light or night time conditions. Yet, due to range availability, most people practice and train in daylight. It’s a completely different world, shooting at night and incorporating a flashlight or weapon mounted light while shooting. It’s also tough to identify your target. This episode is about using lights, night sights, red dot optics and more, in low light and night time shooting."

http://www.handgunworld.com/
Old February 17, 2014, 09:08 PM   #30
shortwave

Lengthy but very good info g.willikers
Old February 17, 2014, 09:15 PM   #31
DannyB1954

My house is never so dark that I can not see at night. Small automatic night lights are cheap to run in dark areas.

An old saying is tracer bullets work both ways. I don't wish to give an intruder a target.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:53 PM   #32
power5

If I hear an intruder and have time, my plan is to get my family into the closest room I can. Lock the door and call the cops. If I hear footsteps outside my door, I will announce to them my intentions. I will ask for a name and reason for being in my house and if I do not get a satisfactory answer I will fire upon anyone that opens the door. This is if I am awoken in the middle the night. Any other time of the day I will have enough lights in my house. I do have a flashlight in my bedside though.

If I do not have time I can grab my flashlight and be able to find my family members without having to point my gun where there is no threat.

My house is old and creaky. No way into my house without making noise. Trust me I have tried. Windows are all old wood. Front and back door are very tight and require a bump to open. Entire first floor has creaky hardwood. Stair way door at the bottom of my steps from the bedroom has to be pulled shut very hard like its on a spring. Anyone unfamiliar will without a doubt make lots of noise when they turn the knob and it springs open. I can hardly do it without making some noise. So unless they are ninjas I should hear them at some point. I am less than 10 seconds from awake to weapon in hand and ready. I have pets and have been woken up from them going up and down the stairs. Why is it that pets wait till you are asleep to start their partying?

Also, my children leave out the "home alone" toy booby traps as well.
Old February 19, 2014, 12:35 AM   #33
boondocker385

you are talking both equipment and tactics...they need to work together. we use lights on our weapons, you have to have tactics to match.
Old February 19, 2014, 01:08 AM   #34
Brotherbadger

While i don't personally use a rail mounted light, i don't see a problem with one. Lasers I'm not a fan of, but lights i see no problem with.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 28, 2014, 09:19 AM   #35
rodfac

Derbel, offered some very good advice. I'd add this, Marine MP's (my #2 son is one) are taught to expect 50% casualties in clearing houses during urban warfare training. I don't think my searching the house then confronting a burglar at bad breath distance is in my best interest. For that reason, our bedroom door is locked, giving us add'l time to respond and call the police, and short of obvious 'dog knocked over a chair' we don't come downstairs to investigate.

We have a lab, who's a light sleeper...and defensive about 'her' house. Her job #1 is warning us. She's vary serious about it! In over 50 years of home and apartment living as an adult, I've called the police once...and that was when we arrived home to find the front door on our farm house open...no problem, wind and my inexpert lock up were the cause, and we made a new friend in the county officer who responded, he's now a regular on my improvised outdoor range set-up here on the farm.

That said, the bedside guns sport a laser on my wife's J-frame, and a TLR-1 flashlight on my Sig. Here's Derbel's very good advice....Best Regards, Rod

Quote:
AVOID using it to search (i.e., hunt the burglar) whenever possible.

LE and military work in teams. They also have training and experience.

Training with a partner in low-light, using something as simple as a single-shot Airsoft pistol, will show you the vulnerabilities of searching with a flashlight.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.