The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
nefprotector

Saiga 12ga Semiauto

Anybody here own a Saiga 12 semiauto? I am very much interested. Can anyone thell me the Pros and Cons of this shotgun? It will be used as a fun gun and converation piece thats about it. lol!
Old July 16, 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Technosavant

Got one. I've converted it to the regular AK pistol grip/stock- it's an easy process; maybe 2 hours of actual work and somewhere between $100-250 worth of cost, depending on parts (and how you choose to refinish the receiver).

Pros:
1) It might well be the most evil looking shotgun currently available without resorting to stuff covered under the National Firearms Act.
2) It's a very soft shooter.
3) It is as "tactical" as you get.
4) It's fun.

Cons:
1) It's really a crappy sporting shotgun due to the rifle type sights. You'll end up with a shotgun that's fun to play with and definitely a conversation piece, but not really all that great for actual use.
2) Reloading the thing isn't as easy as you'd think.
3) Quality control is hit or miss. Most of the issues center around the number of gas ports- there may be as many as four, most seem to have three and that's fine (mine has three), some have only one or two (problem).

It seems like there's a bunch around right now at decent prices; I think a shipment may have just come in. However, don't expect to pick one up and have it be an acceptable skeet/trap/sporting clays gun, bird gun, and home defense shotgun. It can do the third without a problem. The first two will be iffy.
Old July 19, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
The Great Mahoo

I picked one up a few years ago. Admittedly, it was a throw-back to my days spent playing video games; I always had a soft-spot for auto-shotguns in them.

Anyway, its an interesting gun, though overly long due to the nature of the receiver, IMO. I've been meaning to do a pistol-grip and folding stock conversion on it for about 3 or 4 years now, but still keep putting it off. I just can't justify putting more money into the gun that I don't really use. Even as a sporter, it gets lots of attention and always brings out some comments from those who see or hear about it.

Over,I like it, but it just sits in the safe. I probably wouldn't buy one now, unless I came across one that was already converted or was at a heck of a deal.

I think Technosavant summed it up pretty well. I'll add a few things, though.

Mags do seem to be more readily available these days, but I still have but the 1 4 rounder it came with. I think 12 is as large as I've seen, usually for ~75$ range at local gun shows. I have heard mags need to be custom fitted with a little filing to fit your receiver. As I have never bothered to buy one, I can't speak on the matter.

I've also heard of instances of rim-lock using the shells in the stacked magazine. I've never had any hang with mine, though.
Old July 19, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
rjrivero

PDF Instructions?

Does anyone have a Saiga 12 instruction booklet in PDF they could link me to? I'm seeing more and more Saiga 12's at 3 gun shoots and am REAL interested in keeping up with the Jones' so to speak.
Old July 19, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Jimbo-Indy

I have my son's Saiga 12 that was modified by Tromix (son past away in Dec. '08). Has been modified with new trigger group, reworked metering, side folding stock, shortened barrel with welded flash supresser/door breacher and a few other things I forget. Right on the edge of legal. An amazing gun. Fast cycling and mild recoil. With a stack of 10 round magazines, it's a blast (pardon the pun) at the range or for home defense. There are a few custom guys that do internal mods that really clean up the action. Prices are still OK but sometimes mods can exceed the price of the gun. Great fun and becoming a "cult" thing.
Old July 19, 2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Technosavant

Quote:
I have heard mags need to be custom fitted with a little filing to fit your receiver. As I have never bothered to buy one, I can't speak on the matter.
This is true.

I can't vouch for all mags, but I do believe most do need modification (at least, the ones direct from Izmash do). Basically, you file down the hump on the top of the tab that locks into the mag catch. They come sized a bit large so they won't lock in; you need to take that hump down a bit. The one that comes with the gun is already fit properly, so you can use that as a basic guide to see what needs chopping.

Basically, it is about a minute with a file until it locks in securely without excessive force. Not a big deal, but can be a surprise for the unwary.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:10 PM   #7
jmorris

They look and feel typical AK, not very good relative to almost every other shotgun made. That being said they are great for 3-gun and mine have run 100% with several different brands of mags.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:22 AM   #8
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Does anyone have a Saiga 12 instruction booklet in PDF they could link me to? I'm seeing more and more Saiga 12's at 3 gun shoots and am REAL interested in keeping up with the Jones' so to speak.
Ah, rjrivero, your Google-fu is weak today...

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/Saiga.pdf

Simply right-click and "save-as" to download a copy or click to view in browser.