The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Bass Man

.204 Split necks

I reloaded some .204 ruger and I lost 5 cases to split necks. I lost a couple without lubing the necks (neck sizing) and then lost 3 more after I started lubing the necks. It was only the third time I had sized them. Is this common in this caliber?
Old March 2, 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
4sarge

Not .204 brass but I can relate an experience. I had a new batch of Winchester 22-250 brass that I sized then loaded at 10% under max then split the necks after firing. Tried a different powder with a light load and split those too. Contacted winchester, and they replaced the brass after I pulled the bullets and primers. Winchester didn't give me any verification that the brass was bad.
Old March 2, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
WIN71

Dilemma

I don't think I've heard of that problem in any caliber in particular. I'm on the third reloading, neck sizing only on a batch of 204's consisting of 50 cases and have yet to have a split neck. I've used them to work up loads and have used several powders, bullets and primers.
Old March 3, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
somerled

It sounds as if you have some cases that weren't properly annealed during manufacture. You can anneal them yourself. I've posted a link that might help.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
Old March 5, 2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Ifishsum

What brand of brass? I've loaded quite a few .204s and the only neck splitting problem I had was with Winchester brass. I think some of the early manufacture cases were not annealed properly.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Sevens

I can't help with the caliber, but I'd agree that it sounds like they missed the annealing process. What I did want to say was that Winchester will stand behind their components-- I sent back a couple pieces of new brass that were ill-formed from a bag of new brass and though they never offered any explanation, they were very quick to send me a $10 certificate toward any Winchester branded ammo.
Old March 6, 2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Bass Man

Yes it is Winchester that I have. It is about 2 years old. When I got it there wasn't much choice.