The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
hoji

Good Rifle Brass Prices?

What is a reasonable price for once fired, uncleaned, primer still in, .308 Win,30.06 and 30-30-Win brass?

I am just getting into reloading and was wondering what to offer for it.

Thanks.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
castnblast

free...you can pick that up at most gun ranges. 90% of the guys shooting factory stuff will give it to you if you ask em.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
castnblast

you can get never fired brass for around $25.00 or so for 100.
Old March 11, 2008, 08:03 PM   #4
hoji

I know I can pick it up for free but my work schedule is 10 days on 4 days off. There is a kid that works at the range and he is picking up all the brass and currently seperating the steel from the brass {aluminium is seperated as well} to take to the recyclers. I told him if he seperated these calibers, I would buy them from him.

I just have no idea what to offer.
Old March 11, 2008, 09:05 PM   #5
mrawesome22

Quote:
you can get never fired brass for around $25.00 or so for 100.
If it were in stock.

Did you notice the only .308Win brass in stock was nickel? Reminds me of quite a few posts about which reloaders preferred.
Old March 12, 2008, 02:00 AM   #6
Grandpa Shooter

If you are the same guy who asked the same question on THR, the answer is the same here. What it is worth is what you are willing to pay for it. It can go for as little as .11 up to .20 (or higher). If you are buying it by the pound you need to find out what the local scrapper is paying for it. If you don't have to do anything other than hand over some money to the kid, and don't have to pay shipping, or go the the PO to pick it up, then it should be worth more to you. He is the one doing the work.
Old March 12, 2008, 04:51 AM   #7
hoji

For those who actually gave a number, thanks. For the people who answered with some little nugget of wisdom...................... if you can not be helpful be quiet.
Old March 12, 2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Halwg

You know you used to be able to find brass at the range as someone here stated, but with brass prices as high as they are now there is not an empty, reloadable, piece of brass to be found at any of the 3 ranges I shoot at.

While I was shooting last Saturday a guy showed up and actually went through all the trash cans collecting brass. I talked to him for a while and he collects it, cleans it and separates it by caliber and then resells it.