The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 13, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
KellyTTE

AAR: Magpul Dynamics - Dynamic and Advanced Dynamic Carbine (1 of 2)

Magpul Dynamics Instructors (left to right) Steve Fisher and Chris Costa

THE CLASS

Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life. ~Henry L. Doherty

I find that like many subjects, the more that you think that you know about a subject the more you realize you still have a lot to learn. So for me, its a constant challenge to seek out instruction that furthers my education and understanding of self defense and specifically the use of a a firearm in a self defense role. When I learned that Magpul Dynamics was holding a class in Pueblo, Colorado I was very excited at the chance to attend. Unfortunately, the class filled up before I was able to reserve a spot. However, because of the high demand, Magpul Dynamics added a another class that would run consecutively after the first class. I was able to secure a seat in the second class at the last minute with the assistance of Travis Haley, the President of Magpul Dynamics and Jill Reynolds, their administrative coordinator.

The class was held at the Pueblo West Sportsmans Association (PWSA), a large range facility just northwest of the City of Pueblo. I knew this would be a challenging environment, since the PWSA range is a good example of high altitude desert. Its a fine facility, which in many ways captures the very essence of a dry, hot, dusty battle field. The heat and talcum fine dust, coupled with unpredictable weather can take their toll on personnel as well as their weapons and gear. We would be shooting the entire three days on the PWSA 100yd range.

The Magpul Dynamics website says that the Dynamic Carbine course will cover:

Proper choice and placement of gear
Different optics and accessories
Effective shooting stance
Proper weapon grip
Recoil control
Sight alignment
Sight picture using iron sights and electronic optics
Trigger control
Speed reloads
Tactical reloads
Possible malfunctions of the rifle
Strong and weak hand shooting while both stationary and on the move
Different shooting positions
Choosing the proper position for the task

This is an understatement, heck, possibly one of the biggest of the decade. You'll learn all of that and a heck of a lot more (to say the least) in the three days that you'll be on the range.

DAY: 1

We all arrived at PWSA range right before 8am on Tuesday, September 7 and drove up to the 100yd range with the class host, Jeff Carpenter. The Weather was actually pretty decent, temps were in the low eighties with a clear sky. Once everyone was situated, we were introduced to our instructors, Chris Costa and Steve Fisher and they gave us a bit of their backgrounds and briefly covered what they hoped to teach us over the next three days. After that, they went into safety and range rules and what they expected from us.

A couple of small things that we didn't cover in that initial briefing kind of surprised me. First, was we didn't do a group introduction. Now I'm not saying that we should have a big group hug, but I personally feel more comfortable when I know at least the name and maybe a bit of background on the guy shooting next to me. I think that this small ritual helps build trust among shooters. Second, we didn't have an emergency planning session (who does what in the event of an injury or accident). Not every company does this, but I've always felt this was something that helps instill confidence in a group of people that will be shooting together over a period of time.

After the initial meeting, we went downrange and set up targets. Once we'd finished that, we kitted up and came back up to the firing line. Steve and Chris started us out with demonstrations of grip, stance and recoil management. They were very consistent in their verbiage and their live fire demonstrations showed both the application of and effectiveness of the techniques. I'm not going to go into minute detail of what they said or expected, there are simply some things that are best learned directly from the knowledge source.

Magpul Dynamics Instructor Steve Fisher demonstrating stance and grip with a live fire drill

After learning how they wanted us to handle and 'drive' the weapon, we moved into the "Balance of Speed and Accuracy" (BSA) Drill. What this drill does is give you an (increasing) round count at a given distance with a given level of accuracy. Example, you might be required initially to shoot two rounds accurately in two second at five yards. Then three rounds in the same distance/time constraints, then four and so forth. Then You would perform the drill at ten yards, then twenty five and further and further out. What Magpul Dynamics wants to do is to push you past your comfort zone to a point of failure. This causes you to concentrate and improve on your foundation skills. These are things like your stance, your grip, your trigger control. When you're at eighty five yards and you have to put three rounds in a eight inch circle in under four seconds while moving from standing to kneeling (or prone), your fundamentals have to be honed to a very, very sharp point.

Your author shooting the BSA at fifty yards from the dynamic kneeling position (photo credit: Steve Fisher)

After spending the morning working on the various facets of what we'd learned, we broke for lunch and then after lunch came back and began to work on keeping the carbine up in running in a fight. Just like any living, breathing creature, a weapon needs to be fed (ammo) to keep running. So Steve and Chris took us through drills covering tactical reloads and then later emergency reloads. A couple of things happened during this particular part of the day. First I found out a loose strap from my suspenders was severely hindering my speed (emergency) reloads. Although I planned out my load bearing equipment very carefully to maximize my learning experience, all it took was one small detail to bring everything to a griding halt. I want to spend the time in class learning to fight, not fighting my gear.

Anyhow, this one loose strap was in the way when I reached down to grab a fresh magazine and it was in the way when I went to stow a partial magazine. Needless to say, it was quickly duct taped out of the way. The second thing that really began to shine was my tactical reloads. I'm a big believer in topping off a weapon when you have a chance but my manipulations have always been rough. Using the Magpul Dynamics method I was able to really smooth out that particular manipulation to a high polish.

Your author caught in the moment, diagnosing an empty weapon (photo credit: Steve Fisher)

About this time we had our first weapon failure, a Stag left handed rifle went down with a trigger that began to double on trigger reset. After looking the weapon over it came to light that the rifle had a fire control group that had a 'trigger job' preformed. Once I got the actual trigger out, it was readily apparent what had happened. In the end, I quickly installed a spare (unmolested) two stage trigger that the shooter had and the weapon was back up and running(footnote 1). By the end of the first day we'd covered a lot of ground, including stance, grip, workspace (how/where to consistently address and manipulate the weapon), the BSA drill, tactical reloads, emergency reloads, and positions (dynamic kneeling and prone).

DAY: 2

We started off day two by repeating the safety brief and then began a short competition called the 'dollar shoot'. A hard shooting Lakewood, Colorado cop took that one with ease (BOTH DAYS!!! &@^#$). I had the distinct pleasure of shooting next to this gent for all three days. If something goes down on the west side of Denver, I hope this cop gets the callout. He exemplified a warrior that "gets it". Hell, I'm not even sore over losing my money to him.. Much.. Twice.. Weather was much less predictable this time. Clouds rolled in and the sky started spitting but it never really turned bad, mostly just humid and cloudy.

Said officer shooting on the move
Old September 13, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
KellyTTE

After the dollar shoot, we shot the BSA Drill back to eighty five yards and then regrouped on the ten yard line to learn about malfunctions and how to clear them. One of the best things I took away from this particular block of instruction was using the weapons trigger to diagnose what the issue with the weapon was. In a moment of 'duh' on my part it became clear that if you know your weapon well enough you can use a 'click' (failure to fire) or a 'mush/dead trigger' to immediately determine which diagnosis routine to start. Again, I strongly encourage you to seek out Magpul Dynamics to learn these effective mental tools. They might just save your life.

Chris explaining how a brass can get wedged into the bolt carrier group

Even great gear can fail IF YOU DON'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

We also spent some time this morning working on advanced positions such as 'urban prone' and 'supine' to make sure that people understood how to keep the weapon up and running in the even of falling, or when needing to make the most out of unusual cover (vehicles, etc) or micro terrain. Chris and Steve used extensive movement drills to get us from various prone, to kneeling to standing, all with differing round counts to keep us thinking while we moved.

Steve Fisher getting into urban prone

At this point it came to light that two Air Force Security Forces ERT (SWAT) Airmen were having significant problems with frangible ammo that was double feeding in their issue M4s. A switch to PMAGs from USGI mags helped some, but a quick tear down at lunch resulted my replacing both their extractors and extractor spring assemblies (all from Bravo Company) and a lube job for both rifles. After that they reportedly ran fine. Never assume that just because guys are cops, or Air Force, that they're not shooters. It was a tremendous honor to shoot with these Airmen. They were both hard shooters and kept their minds in the fight even when things weren't going go their way. One of the points that Chris made several times is that it isn't how you act when your weapon is running, its how you act when your weapon isn't running that matters.

Your author with the US Air Force - Security Forces - ERT members

At this point we took a well deserved lunch and afterwards came back to an afternoon that was basically a condensed version of Magpul Dynamics Pistol. Much like the rifle, Chris and Steve covered stance, grip, recoil management, reloading and other manipulation issues. Having this solid base of instruction made integrating the pistol as a secondary weapon to your rifle a snap. We also had another 'custom trigger' fail, this one going full auto during the transition drills *groan*.

Steve Fisher demonstrating pistol recoil management

Steve Fisher demonstrating with a class member
Old September 13, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
KellyTTE

We closed out the day shooting a competition that uses an extensively modified 'El Presidenté' that made use of rifle, and then transitioning to pistol. I shot reasonably well, but I TOTALLY flubbed my round count. Again, even when you're tired and sore, your mind has to be in the gunfighting game. A subtle lesson indeed.

One of the Air Force ERT Airmen shooting the competition

DAY: 3

This was the day when everything came together. We started out with another dollar shoot, then proceeded into the BSA drill. At each step, we integrating what we'd learned before. If your weapons malfunctioned, you either transitioned to your pistol or you fixed it. If your weapon ran low/dry, you fed it. Each step built upon all the steps that came before. At this point we started to add movement. Simple turning to face threats, then reflexive turns, then off-line movement, then shooting on the move. There are many of the tools needed to help turn the student into a lethal, mobile fighter when a critical incident happens. You have to move, because A) your going to do it instinctively anyhow, and B) you don't want to stand there stupidly while taking fire. Be hard to hit while making your hits was the point that was being driven home repeatedly. When it came to learning points, Chris and Steve made their teaching hits over and over.

Preparing to turn and fire (photo credit: Steve Fisher)

Putting rounds downrange after turning (photo credit: Steve Fisher)

We finished the day with an extensive movement drill involving four shooting points with multiple targets at each point. You had to sprint to a shooting point, engage each target with a number of rounds, then sprint to the next point to engage the next series of targets. Again, keeping yourself in the fight, while being safe, keeping everything fed and making sure you were putting hits on target was the whole point of the exercise. Sometimes you had to wait for a shooter to finish engaing his targets before you could move to the next shooting point, this meant being aware and safe.

Air Force SF-ERT Airmen shooting the final drill as a team

Air Force SF-ERT Airmen shooting the final drill as Chris joins in
Old September 13, 2010, 12:20 PM   #4
KellyTTE

EPILOGUE:

After the final drill we debriefed and talked a bit about what we'd learned and certificates were handed out. After that we brassed up the range. To give you an idea of what we picked up, there were nineteen shooter who shot about twenty two hundred rounds of pistol and rifle ammo. That's about forty two thousand pieces of brass when you add in the brass from Chris and Steve. Lotta time crawling, but it was worth it.

Chris and Steve passing out certificates

Brass call from hell

In the end, I had a few thoughts and impressions. I got the distinct impression that Chris and Steve were really tired (6 days of teaching plus travel time, altitude change and desert conditions). They were still enthusiastic and energetic, but there were times where things felt somewhat 'glossed over'. Despite this, I still learned a lot of neat things. The BSA drill really pushes you to excel, the diagnostics and left handed manipulations were also very valuable. Despite any small bumps I can enthusiastically recommend the Magpul Dynamics carbine courses to people looking to expand their weapon skill sets.

MANY THANKS TO:

Jill Reynolds and Travis Haley at Magpul Dynamics
Paul Buffoni at Bravo Company USA
LTC David Liwanag(ret)
Troy Storch of Midwest Industries
Wes Davis at SpecOps Brand
Mark, James and everyone else at LaRue Tactical
The Bowers Tactical crew
My OIC, NCOIC, CIC and ACIC and all the CST members

GEAR USED:

3rd Gen Glock 17L
TLR-3 Weapons Light
Bladetech OWB Belt Holster
SpecOps Brand Riggers Belt
SpecOps Brand Patrol Sling
SpecOps Brand Suspenders
ITW Fast Mags
Coyote Tactical Trauma Kit
Ice Tactical's Training Log

Written by Kelly H.

FOOTNOTE 1: Most AR15 trigger jobs fail in short order. This is due to the fact that most "gunsmiths" will use mechanical means like a dremel tool, instead of honing stones, to perform the trigger modification. The reason for this is to reduce the time and cost with performing the trigger modification. The problem is that this generally takes too much material off and/or creates an inconsistent engagement surface. This in turn exposes the softer steel under the trigger's case hardened surface which leads to premature wear CREATING AN UNSAFE WEAPON. Good rule to guide you: If the trigger job is less than two hundred dollars and takes the "gunsmith" less than a day, avoid it. Stay safe guys.

All information is the intellectual property and copyright of TTELLC.net
Old September 14, 2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Great AAR. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Statureman

Awesome write up. Someday hope to go to one of their classes. in the meantime I have to buy an AR :-)
Old September 22, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
MisterWhite

Thanks for the write up!

I've been itching to take one of those classes.
Old September 23, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8
KellyTTE

Sure thing guys. Glad you enjoyed it, great class.
Old September 23, 2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent review!

I had no idea that Steve was running around with the guys at Magpul these days.
Old September 23, 2010, 02:35 PM   #10
mcintosh

Being from Michigan, and having taken a few classes with Steve, I was sad to hear that we had lost him to the Big Leagues. But I am really happy to hear that he's doing well. It looks like that class was a blast!