The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Deaf Smith

It was a Bark and stormy night...

Well last night one of our little Chihuahuas got real excited and started barking in the house.

So I looked up from the PC and walked to the office door to see what was wrong. Well 'D' was pretty excited so I got one of the ROSCOES from its hiding place. Yes a Service Six Ruger, 4 inch barrel, with Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWHPs. Potent business that roscoe is.

Slowly walking through the house, room to room, pie’ing all the way, till I came upon ‘D’.

Pondering the commotion I quickly spied the culprit. My wife’s purse had slipped down into the Chihuahua's food bowl. Ah, so that was the answer was simple. Meanwhile my wife was in the shower, oblivious to what was happening.

I corrected the problem and the commotion died down.

Now the lesson: If my only house defense gun was in the bed room, on the other side of the house from the office and near where the Chihuahuas where excited, how would I have been able to investigate with some assurance I could deal with any intruders? Think about this. Plenty of inexpensive handguns made out there from such as Bersa or Taurus, or even a older Ruger Security Six! Plenty of places to secure such, even in small lockable safes.

Deaf
Old September 21, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
jhenry

Well Deaf, the Chihuahua was there wasn't it? Why salt the house with pistolas when you have one of those antisocial buzzsaws around
Old September 21, 2010, 07:16 PM   #3
MonsterB

Quote:
Well Deaf, the Chihuahua was there wasn't it? Why salt the house with pistolas when you have one of those antisocial buzzsaws around

Thats funny And true...seeing how those dogs bark every 10 seconds or so, it must get awfull boring casing the house that often...I would have shot the pocketbook just for a little excitement, and the fact that the missus couldnt use the credit cards for a couple days
Old September 21, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

Guys, our two don't bark much. Now when people are over, even the children (they are both grown and BOTH are getting married soon), they bark until we calm them down.

But normaly they don't bark at all except.... when something is wrong. Yes we have a burglar alarm, but these two are the best alarms money can buy (and boy did these two cost!) They don't smell like most dogs and the poop in the yard is very small and I've never tracked it in!

And as I write this the 'other pistol' a Speed Six .38, 2 3/4 barrel, with the same BB ammo, is by the mouse. It has a Ruger made DAO hammer and Secret Service stocks. Yes I have my carry Glock 26 but these Rugers are mighty handy when you are no where near the 26.

They are good company on a dark and stomy night.

Deaf
Old September 22, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
nefprotector

Problem with those lil dogs are that they bark at anything.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Now the lesson: If my only house defense gun was in the bed room, on the other side of the house from the office and near where the Chihuahuas where excited, how would I have been able to investigate with some assurance I could deal with any intruders?
Now you know why many of us carry in the house.
Old September 24, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
markj

Quote:
Now the lesson: If my only house defense gun was in the bed room, on the other side of the house from the office and near where the Chihuahuas where excited, how would I have been able to investigate with some assurance I could deal with any intruders?

or lock the door?

or dont live in the city?
Old September 24, 2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

+1 Amen!

Even a little NAA .22LR will give you a chance to grab your "real" gun, especially if you have one or two throughout the home.

Quote:
Stevie-Ray
Old September 24, 2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Might also seed your house with things like saps or ASP clubs. Maybe even here and there a can of pepper spray.

Yes even thouse who can have guns in the house can still secret a few such items around just in case. This is true especially for those with lots of small children (theirs or their friends kids!)

Deaf