The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 9, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
DelcoDave

HELP me pick out an AR

I am interested in getting an AR style rifle in .223. I have been overwhelmed by the choices. My priorities are in order of importance as follows, Reliability, Accuracy, and price. With price I am looking for the best BANG! for my buck without sacrificing quality.
Old August 9, 2010, 09:44 AM   #2
thesheepdog

What is your purpsose for the rifle (HD/SD, hunting, plinking, target?)
Old August 9, 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
dsa1115

Check out the Rock River AR's. I like mine.
Old August 9, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
5RWill

Best bang for the buck in my opinion as I've stated before in a recent thread is bcm without a doubt. Completely mil spec and quality and finnish is unmatched. They sell complete built rifles now. You could build one for around 900-1000+.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #5
DelcoDave

My purpose

I am interested for target shooting/ pinking fun
Old August 9, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6
hooligan1

Find yourself an old Colt!!
Old August 9, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
XD Gunner

Quote:
I am interested in getting an AR style rifle in .223. I have been overwhelmed by the choices. My priorities are in order of importance as follows, Reliability, Accuracy, and price. With price I am looking for the best BANG! for my buck without sacrificing quality.
I built mine from a Doublestar Lower and a Upper kit from an online dealer. I have about $650.00 in the entire gun, including a Troy Industries Fixed Rear Sight, and 3 Magazines. Heavy Profile Barrel, midlength gas system, fixed A2 front sight, 4 position Carbine Stock. I haven't cleaned it, at all, or lubed it, at all, since I put it together. It's on 1500+ rounds without so much as having to use the forward assist. I am not going to clean or lube it until it malfunctions.

Reliable? Yes. Cheap? Yes. Fun with quality parts? Absolutely. I have zero complaints!

Did I mention it's a tack driver? Yeah. Tennis Balls at 100 yards sitting. Golf balls from a rest. The thing amazed me every time I take it out.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old August 9, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
RT

Get a BCM lower and modify to your liking
Purchase BCM upper of your choice
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
Add BCM BCG, sights and handguards of your choice
Assemble
Enjoy
Old August 9, 2010, 01:35 PM   #9
thesheepdog

Building an AR is like making a sandwich, put on it what you like.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:26 PM   #10
demigod

Quote:
Best bang for the buck in my opinion as I've stated before in a recent thread is bcm without a doubt.
No question. You can get whatever config you want from BCM too. BCM is competetively priced without any of the manufacturing short cuts that so many companies get away with.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11
tcox4freedom

Thanks for this thread.

I thought I had my mind set on a couple of used Stags or Double Stars. But, then I started hearing about the new piston AR's. (Now I'm confused again.)

Can some of you experienced guys give me a few Pros & Cons on piston vs gas ARs?
Old August 9, 2010, 03:23 PM   #12
thesheepdog

Quote:
Can some of you experienced guys give me a few Pros & Cons on piston vs gas ARs?
The DI system will be less of a headache than the Piston. The only advantage the Piston has over the DI is for suppressor use. Other than that, you will find that the DI system is just as reliable, just runs a bit more dirty than a piston. The DI still holds the accuracy adavntage, unless you get a POF piston upper, which has the same accuracy as a DI system, and costs 3 times more.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:28 PM   #13
MK11

With the current deals on S&W, I think that's the best bang for the buck, even over a build (once the deals end, that may not be the case).

My FT is noticeably more accurate than my Colt.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:23 PM   #14
Hoskins

Rock River Arms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00429.jpg (165.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00430.jpg (163.3 KB, 70 views)
Old August 9, 2010, 09:07 PM   #15
briang2ad

I feel your pain. There ARE SOOOOOOOOO many choices. Its really too many, and every argument you'll hear is apples/oranges unless it is for some SPECIFIC purpose. I just got one ordered for my son, and we went S&W - why? I've heard good things all over, and their CS is the best in the gun business.

(ANd... SMith will send you a check for $100 right now if you buy one!)

But, at a shop today I picked up a Stag - beautifully finished, solid, very nice trigger.
Then, you'll have a bunch of folks jump in and tell you to build.

Then you'll get a bunch of arguments on milspec dimensions.

Then the mall ninja stuff to add.

It is an industry within itself. I think it is a great time now because of the expiration of the communist clintonban, then the dear leader coming on. ARs flew off the shelves. I had a buddy who ordered one, waited 7 months, and when he picked it up, a guy offered him over twice what he paid. That was about a year ago. Now there is a glut. Good time for buyers.

Maybe a better question is, "what should I avoid?"

Last edited by briang2ad; August 9, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:06 PM   #16
5RWill

Thing is once you get settled on what brand you want, then you have to figure out how you wanna customize it, which there are more ways to do that . As for brands as others have stated i've also heard great things about S&W. The reason i will go with BCM more than likely for the rest of my life is because of price/performance. I haven't read up on S&W, but as i posted the chart on the other thread about which AR to get. Out of bcm, colt, noveske, and LMT. BCM beats every single one of them in Price/performance. And Completely and i mean to every single military spec. I put it above colt because of warranty, if you look BCM and colt are tied until it gets to warranty. BCM is lifetime. I'm going to post the link for you to read instead of posting the charts again they take up alot of the thread.
http://www.03designgroup.com/reviews...ower-receivers

Last edited by 5RWill; August 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 10, 2010, 07:34 AM   #17
briang2ad

Blockops: That's a nice chart. But, I'm such a novice I don't know that it is helpful to the average buyer. If you need to know the merits of a straight pin vs. tapered, why not build your own??? For the entry level, as long as you can change the furniture, use the mags, do a trigger job, etc., what difference does all this make? How about RRA and STAG? Does lifetime warranty include giving you a shipping label so you return from your doorstep on their dime?

Again, I think there are a TON of options out there, and it SEEMS there are plenty of good choices UNDER $1000 now which are good quality guns - and that is a good thing.

I think the best question is, what should I avoid?
Old August 10, 2010, 07:46 AM   #18
gotigers

S&W's are very good and they are priced even better now.
Daniel Defense
BCM would be my next choice.

There are very nice AR's but you will pay for them. What is your budget?
Old August 10, 2010, 08:13 AM   #19
thesheepdog

Daniel Defense are good. I own one.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:25 AM   #20
XD Gunner

Quote:
Then, you'll have a bunch of folks jump in and tell you to build.
What happened to me. I wanted a S&W, but ended up building. I'm glad I did. Was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot about the AR while I was putting it together. Good times.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old August 10, 2010, 09:38 AM   #21
briang2ad

Quote:
What happened to me. I wanted a S&W, but ended up building.
XDgunner: What did you end up spending on the build?

I just figure also what a lifetime warranty is worth. I mean if you can build TOTAL for $500 and end up with a reliable and accurate gun - that's great.

It is time consuming enough JUST to look at options for guns, then for sights, then for accessories, etc.
Old August 10, 2010, 10:11 AM   #22
zombieslayer

I own 2 Smith&Wesson PISTON AR's. Imo- they suck. I'd rather have a pair of CMMG bargain-bin rifles. Mine went back to Smith. They were there quite a while. They came back and function better, but not perfect. I'm going to put another 500 rounds through them and start looking for evidence of carrier tilt. The only info I did get out of s&w is that they had a bunch of bad uppers. Turns out they subcontract most of the work for the various assemblies and then throw them together in Mass. My chambers were out of spec, had to be machined, and not just polished. As an owner of 2 piston AR's, I'd say avoid the headache and get a DI gun. Just my experience.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:24 AM   #23
5RWill

BCM would be my first choice. As for a "good" AR. There are tons of choices. I'm honestly not 100% positive what to stay away from, except for olympic arms. Of the ones i've seen they've all malfunctioned
Old August 10, 2010, 12:07 PM   #24
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I'm honestly not 100% positive what to stay away from, except for olympic arms. Of the ones i've seen they've all malfunctioned
That's another internet myth. Fifteen years ago Olympic made a econo AR that was a a jam'o'matic. They have never lost that reputation. They have been making a fine rifle for a long time.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:18 PM   #25
zombieslayer

My girlfriend's dad has an Olympic rifle. It functions way better than my Smiths, has a better trigger, and even a nicer finish.

Tags
.223 , ar-15