The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 5, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1
gunner85

Help ID this german revolver

My father inherited this from his dad. We really don't have much info on it other than it has a hair trigger and is single action, and are wondering if you guys can help us out. Here are some pics The underside of the grip says "Germany eig Model E357"

Old November 5, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
PetahW

Strictly a WAG, but the German firm of Weirauch made .357 revolvers (among others) under the Arminus name for F.I.E.,, who sold it as the "Hombre".

Another large German firm that used to export that type into the US was J.P.Sauer & Sohn, who traded under the "Hawes" brand.

I've never seen that type hammer on an import before - it looks like a transfer bar type. Is it ?

Old November 5, 2008, 09:00 PM   #3
SDC

It was built/proofed in 1968, and it also be a revolver built for EIG by Herbert Schmidt; if you take off the grips, there's likely a name or symbol showing the true manufacturer.
Old November 5, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Eig was an importer of inexpensive firearms in the 1950's and 1960's. I am not sure who made that revolver, but IIRC the frame was cast zinc and the gun had a very short life expectancy. From the trigger position, it appears that either the hammer or the trigger is broken, which would explain the too light trigger pull. IMHO, the gun is dangerous in that condition, but I know of no source for parts, or whether parts from any other single action revolver might fit. In all honesty, I don't think the gun is worth repairing. Those guns sold in $39 price range and generally bring only about $100-150 today in working condition.

Jim
Old November 6, 2008, 05:02 PM   #5
gunner85

Thanks for the input so far guys. I took the grips off and found stamped on the frame "Herbert Schmidt model 121"

Jim, the above pic was taken with the hammer at half cocked, i'm not sure if that matters though. I have found a site that sells parts for the hawes model large, and small frame revolvers. When i get time, i'm going to take it apart and see what can be done about the trigger pull. The slide ejector is also broke, I'd like to replace that if possible as well.

Petahw, I'm somewhat revolver illiterate, so I'm not sure what you mean by bar transfer hammer, hopefully this pic will help you out?

Last edited by gunner85; November 6, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old November 6, 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
PetahW

Thanks for the "down the throat" pic !

I certainly can see no transfer bar - a part raised by the trigger pull, at the time of hammer release, that sets between the recess in the hammer face (as seen from the side) and the firing pin - thereby providing a concussion connection for firing a cartridge at that particular time only.

Without it in place, the forward nose (on the hammer face's top) rests against the frame above the firing pin, with no FP strike by the hammer possible (when it's fully down).

It seems like that revolver has a transfer bar-type hammer, but no transfer bar (It's usually visible in a pic angle like the last series you posted) - curious.

Old November 6, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, that gun did not have a transfer bar. They use a frame mounted firing pin and the way it is installed necessitates the cut-away hammer. If you look at the picture, you see how far the firing pin is from the breech face. That firing pin housing (cup) is fragile and if the hammer struck it, it would be destroyed. The hammer is cut away so it strikes only the firing pin, and then the top of the hammer impacts the frame before it can hit the firing pin housing.

Jim
Old November 7, 2008, 01:50 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

I doubt Hawes parts will fit your gun. Hawes and Schmidt were at opposite ends of the quality spectrum. Hawes firearms were good guns.
Old November 11, 2008, 03:28 AM   #9
ignatz01

looking to ID a rifle- foreign

Hi! Looking to ID an old rifle I found with bayonet - quite long with thick bolt and small clip - there is a crown with a B under it in several places- has bayonet that locks in 1/4 turn. There is a no. 1875 on it - I will try to add an attachment picture - any info is appreciated. bob (ignatz01)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifle1.jpg (34.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg rifle2.jpg (32.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg rifle3.jpg (48.9 KB, 68 views)
Old November 11, 2008, 09:03 AM   #10
SDC

Ignatz, your rifle is a Dutch Beaumont-Vitali rifle, made for the Netherlands in the 1880s. These were designed by a Dutchman, Beaumont, who added a box magazine designed by the Italian Vitali, to produce this combination. The rifle's mainspring is located inside the large bolt handle, and they're known to be prone to breakage. The round it fired was known as the 11mm Dutch Remington, or 11.3x45mm. They were replaced by Mannlicher rifles before the turn of the century, and you sometimes see them converted to single-shot shotguns, but still with the 4-round magazine in place.
Old November 11, 2008, 10:46 AM   #11
Hawg

That gun has a steel frame as did most magnum imports. You can see the alloy parts have turned gray. The hammer notch or the top leg of the trigger where it engages the hammer is worn is why it has a hair trigger. These parts in imports are pretty soft, especially the triggers. You can take a file and reshape the trigger leg to fit the hammer notch and/or deepen the hammer notch. This is just a temporary fix as it will wear again. It might be possible to "fit" a trigger off another brand into it but I doubt you'll ever find a hammer to match it if that's the problem.