The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 23, 2008, 03:00 AM   #1
lostitinak

Looking for information on a Mossberg 495b

I recently acquired a shotgun and am trying to find out more information about it. From the markings I know that it is a Mossberg New Haven Model 495b Full Choke. What I don't know is the production year or any other information about it. I am taking inventory of what we have for insurance purposes and can't find any information on the approximate value of the gun. Can anyone help or know where I can find the information?

I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old October 23, 2008, 07:26 AM   #2
rantingredneck

Contact Vic Havlin at www.havlinsales.com.
Old October 23, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
RJay

Per the Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values. Introduced 1964, Discontinued 1965. Value in excellent condition, 80 to 90 dollars. Prior to 1968 serial numbers were not required by law on shotguns and rifles. Mossberg did not use serial numbers on their less expensive firearms
Old October 23, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
lostitinak

There is a serial number, is there a resource where I can plug that in and find out more about the gun?
Old October 23, 2008, 11:45 PM   #5
RJay

It was made for one year, a serial number will not tell you who owned it before you or where it's been. The factory might be able to tell where it retailed it to ( store ) but, I doubt even that. What type of information are you looking for? Are you looking on technical details on the shotgun? or it's past history .