The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
deadheader

Colt 1851 .36 Navy

Hi.
Im looking to buy replicas of Wild Bill Hickok's cap-and-ball Colt 1851 .36 Navy Model pistols. does anyone know companys that sell them? In case you dont know his pistols were silver-plated with ivory handles. I have a large budget and would like to get a pair of pistols as close to his as posible minuse the engravments.

Thank you.
Old November 24, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Erich

Welcome to the forums. You may get a better response if you post this in the black powder section of the forum.

Uberti and Pietta are highly regarded manufacturers of 1851 replicas. You are no doubt aware that you're not going to find any genuine ivory on any modern replicas.

You might consider picking up this book for additional historical detail on the pistols in question: http://www.amazon.com/Percussion-Pis.../dp/0595357962
Old November 24, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Moving the thread is FAR better than having another one posted...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 24, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Erich

Well, of course it is! It would be too much to expect that kind of service, though . . . anywhere but here!
Old November 24, 2009, 09:18 PM   #5
deadheader

thank you for the help and sorry for posting in the wrong thread
Old November 24, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6
mykeal

Pietta makes (or made at one time) a nickel plated 1851 Navy with fake ivory grips. The Pietta web site still shows it. Dixie Gun Works used to sell them, but they're not on the Dixie web site any more.
Old November 25, 2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

A tiny bit of additional info

I visited the DGW store a coupla months ago. They told me that if I was looking for something I should call them up. They have a lot of stock they don't list in the catalogue or the website. When he said that he pointed at a display case with a bunch of revolvers. I don't know if he did that because he knew that revolvers is all I care about or because he had something specific in mind.

I would not be surprised if others are in the same situation. For Winchester Sutler you have to do that because sometimes I think even they don't know what they have. I needed a Euroarms cylinder one time and called them up. The response was, "I think I got two of them in the barn. Lemme check and call you back." He did and sold me one with nipples installed for 35 bucks.

VTI (Can't remember his name.) seems to be thrilled to work with customers on the phone. If you go to them with a decent idea of what you need they can fine tune it. Really nice to work with.

Deer Creek is the same way and maybe more so.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:03 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

It shouldn't be to difficult to locate a pair of nickle plated Pietta's, real Ivory grips well be more difficult. Faux Ivory is easily obtainable and much more affordable. That well make a nice brace of revolvers.

Duck Bill, a nick name he did not care for, encouraged the name "Wild Bill" is one of the more colorful characters from the American west. Truly a tortured man that met an early death.
Old November 25, 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Malamute

If you have a "large budget", why not go ahead and get them engraved to match. Assuming the budget is decent, you can get the second Gen Colts to start with. They will hold their value, even with some quality rework done on the finish.

Here's a pair of Hickoks pistols in the Cody museum.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 27, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

The American Historical Foundation introduced a WB Hickok model in 2008. Limited to 500 ea. They aint cheap at $1995.

http://www.ahffirearms.com/products/HICKOKREVOLVER.asp

They also made one back in 1989 that was limited to 500 - I believe it was $1995 at the time also.

The current edition is, I believe made from a Pietta - at least the grip profile is Pietta; and the 1989 edition was made from a Uberti 1851 Navy.

The 1989 editions show up on the gun auction sites from time to time - been over a year since I've seen one though.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 27, 2009, 11:08 PM   #11
ClemBert

My poor man's version. $219 from Cabelas.

Old November 29, 2009, 08:03 AM   #12
olmontanaboy

Here's mine

Old November 29, 2009, 12:42 PM   #13
scrat

The poor mans version De Blued and polished out would look just like one. Here is my 1851 de blued and polished out.

Old November 29, 2009, 04:33 PM   #14
bubba15301

gob to the sportsmansguide website they have them there
Old November 30, 2009, 04:59 PM   #15
OLDPUPPYMAX

Uberti a nice weapon.

I have an 1858 Uberti New Army (Colt Replica) and it is a very nice weapon. The Possible Shop site offers the Navy you're looking for and a number of Uberti weapons. ($275 for the Navy.) Mine is high quality and shoots dead straight--straighter than my Glocks! I've never owned a Pietta.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:43 PM   #16
zeestyle

Want one... ?

I have one of those for sale. A Uberti by the American Historical Foundation. Limited run of 500. Unfired. In case. Let me know if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hickokrevolver.jpg (121.0 KB, 107 views)