The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2023, 12:31 AM   #26
bamaranger

deburr tool

I use an RCBS case mouth tool as made by Belding & Mull from many years back. I bought an adapter from Sinclair that accepts the case mouth tool and allows it to be chucked up in a portable 3/8" drill. Bump the primer pocket with the coned end of the tool and the crimp roll is cut off.
Old November 3, 2023, 09:37 PM   #27
Marco Califo

I mounted the unit and processed 100. Not trying for speed yet. I used three 1/4" carriage bolts through a piece of scrap 2x6. The mounting Nuts are affixed to the underside. I will relocate the pair, as there is clearance for the bolts and nuts on top. The single hole has a clearance issue with the case adapter bushing (or case locator rod if not using an adapter).
The first picture shows the 9mm adapter. Since I have identical cases, I set case adjustment once. I am culling the few that are not the 97 year.
The second photo shows the Small Primer nub in the swaged position. I found that a bit of Lithium Grease on the nub and linkages reduced the effort to cycle considerably. First 10 were "sticky".
Third picture is swaged Primer pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231103_191648.jpg (947.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20231103_191333.jpg (443.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20231103_190956.jpg (525.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 3, 2023 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Fix, add
Old November 4, 2023, 10:28 AM   #28
Metal god

So what do you think so far ? I’ve never done 9mm on my Dillon but would think my fat fingers and those small cases in that tool might be an issue .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2023, 10:52 AM   #29
Marco Califo

I like it. It is adjustable and stays. The adapter for 9mm is a big help in positioning the case and supporting the case and providing a solid anvil to push against. I have processed cases with bent case case mouths (not sized), the adapter makes them round again and they do not stick. It has leverage and is powerful. I wrecked one case that got off center. As it is I can use it in front of the TV, which was a goal.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 4, 2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old November 4, 2023, 11:51 AM   #30
Metal god

Yeah it is powerful, I learned quickly that a misaligned case will destroy the primer pocket .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2023, 02:17 PM   #31
Marco Califo

Picture 1 is damage from off-center case. These are easy to prevent: if RAM Arm has resistance when vertical, then something is wrong. I try again, the good resistance is closer to the horizontal position of RAM Arm. I like to feel that hard stop, at the end of the stroke to indicate success. The RAM Arm is below the unit at that point, which is why it has to be mounted on the end for proper clearance.
Picture 2 is current couch side, work on my lap, set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231104_120400.jpg (202.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20231104_120529.jpg (746.8 KB, 15 views)