The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2023, 06:34 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Lubricating shell casings

Has anyone come up with a means of lubricating shell casings as they travel from the collator down the drop tube? I was thinking of cutting a window in the drop tube and spritzing them as the pass by on route to be resized.
Old February 14, 2023, 09:51 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The spray lubes generally require time for their carrier to evaporate before they lubricate well enough. Look up all the claims of cases getting stuck using One Shot and other sprays. Most can be traced to inadequate drying time. Besides, a pre-applied lube should help them slip down the collator tube.

The other possibility is to use a lube that isn't in a carrier. RCBS did that with their Piggyback press, for which they have a lubricating die with pads inside that the case is run through before sizing and decapping. But that needs a press with sizing and decapping at the second station, or else a turret presses rather than a progressive one. That takes some force, though, as the lube is pretty viscous. To do that in a collator tube, you'd need some sort of ram to push cases through it or the weight of a fairly tall column of cases with the lubing done near the bottom. Perhaps not impossible.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2023, 10:25 AM   #3
ADIDAS69

I’ll have a look at the RCBS set up. It might well be worth the effort to run my press with just a lube die and then do my normal reloading process. Presently I’m enjoying the absolute tedium that is filling a 50 space tray with upright cases spritzing them with lube. It’s the hand collating into the tray that is killing me in terms of work flow.
Old February 15, 2023, 10:40 AM   #4
ADIDAS69

I had a look, it should work perfectly since it decaps as well; I’ll simply move the sizing die to the charging station without its decapping pin. I ultrasonicly clean my cases and dry tumble to remove the lube any how before priming charging and projectile. Your info is very much appreciated, thank you!

I do use one shot presently but have used RCBS lube in the past and been pleased but for the rolling cases on the lube pad, takes too long. I shoot about 1K rounds per month so do large batches and have a busy family life so any time I can shave second off the reloading process I do.
Old February 15, 2023, 11:23 AM   #5
Marco Califo

I may be stating the obvious, but, I do not favor doing too much on one press at a time. If we are talking straight walled handgun cases, generally, no lube is needed. If we are talking about bottle-neck rifle cases, I lube, size, and remove lube separately as prep steps, and load only prepped brass. I also prime with hand primers.
Trying to do everything at once increases the probability of anomalies.
When lube is needed, I like Lucas White Lithium Grease, a very thin film applied on a dedicated pad. When sizing 223 I find luring every other case works fine, as some lube stays in the sizing die. WLG seems to reduce the force needed, too.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fix
Old February 16, 2023, 10:31 AM   #6
GE-Minigun

Maybe my reading comprehension is slow today and couldn’t really follow what the OP posted or was asking, with that said. When I’m loading either rifle or pistol, I have a Milk Bone biscuit container (1/2 gallon give or take) I use for lubing. I fill the container by “look” (enough room to shake them), couple pumps of Dillon case lube and shake the cases, dump them into the case feeder and start loading. After loaded they go into dry tumbler for 10-15 minutes to remove lube then into ammo can. My hunting and “precision” rounds are loaded the same way, except they go into ammo boxes, I’m only going for 1 MOA and do not spend any more time trying to get it smaller.
Old February 16, 2023, 09:06 PM   #7
ADIDAS69

Yeah basically I’m trying to stream line the process so I can throw clean cases in the shell collator and just pull handle. I’m a little more precision, presently, with the lubing, I find making the specific effort to get lube the inside of the case neck makes a big difference re dither. Which means putting 50 casing in a plastic reloading tray and then spraying with some One Shot (I’ve tried every other commercial lube and like One Shot best).
Old February 16, 2023, 09:11 PM   #8
ADIDAS69

More importantly GE MINIGUN are you going to get the new M134 variant chambered in 338 Lapua ?
Old February 17, 2023, 08:24 PM   #9
9MMand223only

my opinion, is that Hornady ONE SHOT, case lube is the best on this planet for this. Because you can spray it all liberally, before you put it in bin, and then it dries, basically in under a few minutes.

However, nothing is foolproof to avoid stuck now and then, as there is always exceptions. One must use judgement when you pull the handle, if you feel too much tension, you should immediately stop and eject that one out of there, so it doesn't get stuck.

using One Shot, or Dillon Case lube, nearly eliminates the tension and is probably 99.9% effective.