The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2023, 05:21 PM   #1
editingrv

Hornady LNL shell plate stuck & ram won't raise

My bench has been offline for a few years and finally getting things back in order.

When I tried to cycle the LNL arm, the ram only raises perhaps a 1/2" before coming to a hard stop. Visually I can't see what's preventing the ram from moving further. Not using any force. So I unscrewed the shell plate and found it wouldn't come off the sub plate. Won't move at all. My recollection is it should simply lift off the sub plate.

Attached are a couple pics. The overhead shot - I can't remember if the key on the drive hub should be visible.

Also need advice on what might be preventing the ram from raising less than an inch, if it's not associated with the shell plate issue.

Expecting this to be some stupid operator error thing. I left the hobby so long I'm going to work things back up like a total noob. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (734.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg plate2.jpg (834.4 KB, 47 views)
Old February 12, 2023, 05:34 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum. Please head over to the General forum area and use the sticky thread at the top to introduce yourself.

I don't have that press, but you could look for a YouTube video on teardown and reassembly. It sounds like a linkage hanging up somewhere. Of course, if you really get desperate, you can always swallow your pride and call Hornady. They will know immediately what it is. 800-338-3220
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 12, 2023, 11:21 PM   #3
CD1

Check the pawls underneath the ram. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, I neanderthalled it, and broke a pawl.

In my case I'd be able to load a few rounds, then the machine would lock up. I'd have to remove the bolt holding the shell plate on, then wrestle a bit to get the plate off. You may have to move the ram while you wrestle the plate off.

Also, if nothing else works, you should be able to depress one of the pawls to get the plate to turn (and the ram to move). I had to lay on the floor to do it, but you can reach them, and they rest on springs, so you can push them in. You might need a flashlight and a you'll definitely need a screwdriver or something to push them in with.

I never figured out what the problem was on mine since I broke the pawl. I installed a new one, played with the timing a bit, and it's all working fine now.

You should be able to see the key through the slot in the shell plate. It has to be lined up in that slot to turn.

[IMG]20230212_221536 by s s, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old February 13, 2023, 11:13 AM   #4
burrhead

Oops, nevermind

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; February 13, 2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old February 13, 2023, 04:54 PM   #5
editingrv

Called Hornady, fantastic support! They suggested hitting the shell plate hole with Break Free, they suspected it had rusted after the lengthy downtime.

Sure enough, 5 minutes later it popped off with minimal prying. I'll rub it down with scotchbrite and back in business.
Old February 13, 2023, 05:12 PM   #6
CD1

Yeah, their customer service is top notch. Glad you're back in action.
Old February 13, 2023, 05:35 PM   #7
gwpercle

Clean and lube ... who would have guessed that would help ...
steel parts sitting for years ...I guess it should have been obvious but I'm glade Hornady thought about it and the break free did the trick ... I just love easy fixes that work and stories with a happy ending ... Awesome !
Now get back to reloading
Gary
Old February 15, 2023, 05:42 PM   #8
THEWELSHM

Back out the Paul's and retire?

Thewelshm