The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2024, 10:13 AM   #1
SqueezeCocker

How much is cost a primary focus when purchasing a new handgun?

How big a factor does cost play in the purchase decision of a new handgun?
I get emails from many of the big online retailers that list their monthly sales leaders and the vast majority of the guns listed are ones that I'd consider lower tier.
Old March 27, 2024, 10:46 AM   #2
stuckinthe60s

it should be the last thing you concern yourself with.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 27, 2024, 10:50 AM   #3
TunnelRat

How much is cost a primary focus when purchasing a new handgun?

For me it’s not a major factor, but I can acknowledge that’s a luxury not everyone can enjoy. There are people with limited incomes that still want to defend themselves, go hunting, enjoy the shooting sports, etc. There are price points I won’t go below and some firearms I would advise people avoid and try to save for longer. I do think there are a number of reliable pistols across a range of prices these days.
Old March 27, 2024, 11:01 AM   #4
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
I agree with you, but judging from the list of top sellers from Buds Gun Shop and other large retailers, low cost is the only thing buyers are focusing on and the majority of their top selling guns are absolute junk.
Old March 27, 2024, 11:19 AM   #5
bac1023

I’m fortunate enough at this point in my career that’ it’s not really a concern.

Problem is I spoil myself and then I don’t like shooting “ordinary” guns.
Old March 27, 2024, 11:40 AM   #6
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I’m fortunate enough at this point in my career that’ it’s not really a concern.

Problem is I spoil myself and then I don’t like shooting “ordinary” guns.
Yes. I'm an unapologetic gun snob.
Old March 27, 2024, 11:57 AM   #7
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeCocker View Post
I agree with you, but judging from the list of top sellers from Buds Gun Shop and other large retailers, low cost is the only thing buyers are focusing on and the majority of their top selling guns are absolute junk.
So I just looked at Bud’s top sellers and other than the Heritage Bar Keep and the Diamondback AR, I don’t really see a lot of junk there. S&W, Beretta, Sig, Henry, Taurus G3, what’s wrong with those? There are lots of good firearms being made that are economical too.
Old March 27, 2024, 12:37 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
How big a factor does cost play in the purchase decision of a new handgun?
How much does cost play a factor in the purchase of ANYTHING you buy??

Quote:
judging from the list of top sellers from Buds Gun Shop and other large retailers, low cost is the only thing buyers are focusing on and the majority of their top selling guns are absolute junk.
How is this different from the majority of the rest of things people buy?

Almost universally, by the numbers, people are going to buy cheap more often, even if it is junk, if its junk that works, its going to sell, and keep selling.

Everyone has a different point at which they feel they are getting acceptable value for their money.
Old March 27, 2024, 12:51 PM   #9
jar

Quality is why I bought the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth hand gun from Tisas.
Old March 27, 2024, 01:47 PM   #10
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Quality is why I bought the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth hand gun from Tisas.
Tisas also in Bud’s top sellers. I don’t own one yet but wouldn’t hesitate if there was a model I was after. I have two RIA 1911’s. Both are great pistols, accurate and no malfunctions of any kind. One of them only cost $350.
Old March 27, 2024, 02:53 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

Sig sure has it dialed in on the MAPP/MSRP on a P365/P365XL at 500-600 dollars. Probably the number 1 selling gun for multiple years running
Old March 27, 2024, 04:28 PM   #12
Electrod47

I only buy what I can afford.......
Old March 27, 2024, 04:48 PM   #13
Recycled bullet

For me, the price of the ammunition is a greater encouragement or deterrent than the cost of the gun.

In the first week that I had it, I shot my Ruger Blackhawk three separate times. If I was shooting Factory ammunition I would have exceeded the cost of the gun just on ammunition cost.

In my case reloading causes me to buy guns because the cost of the ammunition is already amortized. Doesn't have to make sense :-)
Old March 27, 2024, 04:52 PM   #14
sigarms228

For self defense handguns/firearms and tires on family cars, cost is not a primary consideration.

That said it does not mean I am looking only at higher end firearms as there are plenty of reasonably, IMHO, priced quality firearms such as Glocks, HKs, SIG P series hammer fired pistols, HK, CZ, Beretta, Smith and Wesson, and Walther ULM manufactured.
Old March 27, 2024, 05:32 PM   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Yes. I'm an unapologetic gun snob.
Well you have some competition in that case. Those no bigger gun snob on these boards than I.
Old March 27, 2024, 06:52 PM   #16
Shodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
Unless you're someone who needs a gun ASAP.

I get what you're saying in the context of this post though.
Old March 27, 2024, 08:29 PM   #17
Nathan

Commercial quality is the measure of perceived ablility of a product to exceed a customers expectations. Well, this is usually achieved by appealing to a broad group of customers, lowering their expectations of your product, delivering a product better than these lowered expectations.

Manufacturing Quality is the measure of a process’s ability to deliver the same product over and over. This can be tied to meeting a specification or drawing set, but that adds tuning to the equation….which actually hurts quality.

Frankly, Quality is not what sells Tisas. What sell Tisas is the ability to deliver a generally functional device with the cheapest compilation of materials and processes.

A company like Dan Wesson has done an excellent job at meeting both definitions of Quality. In a time when most companies sold their sole to the MIM gods, DW doubled down and developed their drawing set to require zero fitting after assembly and still fit as tight as a custom gun. This was done by developing machining, drawings , etc to make usable parts as machined. Good on them!
Old March 27, 2024, 08:43 PM   #18
GeauxTide

Price, in the absence of value, is not a consideration.
Old March 27, 2024, 09:42 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

Like him or not, and i personally do...Bac in this very thread wrote the literal internet book on 1911s. Well worth reading.

Best resourse from someone who will write you back who isnt named wilson, tripp, ben, etc.

Too, there just arent flawed design platforms. Db9, discontinued kimber Solo...but other than those, they all function okay with variation. You just cant really buy a non starter at any level right now.
Old March 27, 2024, 10:21 PM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
For me, the price of the ammunition is a greater encouragement or deterrent than the cost of the gun.
This applies to higher-end shotguns as well. The cost of ammo and targets will FAR surpass the price of even the most expensive shotguns. One of my Brownings ( a nice entry/mid-level gun) has almost 350K rounds through it. I started shooting shotguns at targets 40 years ago and have fired closer to 800K through all of them over that time. Even using old pricing, targets and ammo would be rough;y 50 cents, that would mean $400K all in; even with new Berettas, total cost is under $25K for the guns. So, the price of the gun is negligible over time if you like to shoot
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2024, 11:23 PM   #21
Mike P. Wagner

If I can afford a gun, price is not very important - if I can’t afford a gun I don’t buy it. :-)

No one will never be impressed with the guns I own - and that’s just fine with me.

I own two pistols, and both of them shoot better than I can shoot them. If I get to the point where one of the firearms limits on my accuracy and other shooting skills, I will feel the need to move to a more expensive weapon. I am pretty sure that’s not going to happen in this lifetime.

One of my weapons is an Armalite AR-24C, a Sarsilmaz CZ 75 clone that Armalite imported in the early 2000s. I paid $399 for it brand new, if I recall. Price was definitely a factor - I had one kid in college, and my goal - achieved - was to put my two kids through the college of their choice with no debt for them or for me.

When I retired, I bought an FN FiveSeven as sort of a retirement gift to myself. I like the firearm, though I have thought of selling it because 5.7x25 ammo is expensive.

I have thought of picking up another 9mm - either CZ 75 from CZ, or a Baretta PX4 because I find the rotary action interesting.
Old March 28, 2024, 01:09 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Old guy here, just can't work up any concern about what NEW pistols cost. Haven't seen anything new in the last couple decades that I wanted, or thought was worth the asking price. Particularly in the duty class pistol market.

If your bills are paid, lights kept on, roof over your head, kids have enough to eat and shoes when needed, what you spend your money on is your business.

The first pistol I bought was a Browning BDA .45, at retail, $369 and the store threw in two boxes of ammo. I've still got it, and it still works great. At the time it was not a bargain gun, but I've had it for 44 years and its in perfect condition (with a bit of finish wear) so I consider it money well spent.

Don't know what that equals in today's dollars but gas was about $1 a gallon at the time.

From my point of view, even a couple hundred dollars difference in the price today doesn't amount to much several decades later....
Old March 28, 2024, 05:54 AM   #23
Jim Watson

I'm in that boat, too.
I can't afford everything that Bac has, but I could afford any one thing that Bac has. I just no longer have the itchy trigger finger and don't think a new gun would improve my shooting.
Old March 28, 2024, 06:40 AM   #24
PzGren

Price was always less important than the perceived competitive advantage that I had hoped for. Since I used to shoot thousands of centerfire rounds each month for years, the purchasing price was the smallest part in the cost of a gun.

Even the same with rimfire. I had bought a pre-owned S&W 22A to use as an understudy to a Glock when my sons were in their early teens. The gun was $125 about 24 years ago and we put over 110,000 rounds through it when the .22 l.r. 550 round bulk pack was $7.97 and WWB 9mm were also $7.97/100.
Old March 28, 2024, 07:59 AM   #25
44caliberkid

You can also spend $3000 for a gun that doesn’t work or shoot well.