The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1
MLeake

Shooting in Long Beach Federal Building

In a bizarre incident, an ICE agent opened fire on and wounded another ICE agent. A third agent shot and killed the shooter.

Without meaning to make light of a tragedy, I am curious to see whether the antis try to make any use of the incident, or instead try to pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not sure if they'd get more mileage out of "even trained professional LEOs can't be trusted" than they'd take in damage for showing that sometimes, even trained professional LEOs can't be trusted...

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/16...h-federal.html
Old February 17, 2012, 02:49 AM   #2
TheGoldenState

Last I heard was a ICE agent was in dispute with his superior, and reacted by opening fire (victim 1). A second ICE agent intervened and was also shot (victim 2). One of the two, or both, victim ICE agents returned fire killing the ICE agent suspect. Victim 2 is "stable" at hospital.

Crazy story, indeed. I've never heard anything like it. Talk about hating your boss.
Old February 17, 2012, 02:53 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Strange...

But, this statement supports TheGoldenState's comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City Star
Martinez characterized the incident as a case of workplace violence involving two federal agents. He says one agent fired several rounds at another agent, wounding him. At that point, another agent intervened and additional rounds were fired, resulting in the death of the shooter.
(Emphasis mine.)
Old February 17, 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Well, I guess it's time to take all the guns away from law enforcement agents...

Every agency my brother has ever worked for (3 different ones) required extensive psychological testing. We've all got a breaking point but shooting a colleague/boss in the office, even if he is a jerk? I wonder if there were any subtle signs from the shooter before he lost it? I suspect that there will be some ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to this from the ICE administration. Maybe a "check-your-guns-at-the-door" policy?
Old February 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Interesting. Tag.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
ltc444

Not a new problem among Federal Law Enforcement Agencies.

There was a similiar incident in the New Orleans ATF Office in the mid 70s. Two agents had long standing issues with each other and proceeded to shoot it out in the office.

Never heard what the outcome of this High Noon encounter was. ATF hushed it up pretty good.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Off topic; FBI...

This is a bit off topic, but a few years ago I saw a PBS special where a FBI special agent who had a major dispute with another FBI special agent over racial issues wound up working with the exact same FBI agent in the Chicago IL field office!
This to me showed some gross mismanagement by the DoJ & the upper level of the FBI.

CNN had a interesting item in recent years too where a ATF special agent explained many of the problems in that federal LE agency.

I looked into working for the INS & later ICE in the mid 2000s with the VRA(veteran's re-adjustment act) program but could not meet a few of the vision & medical requirements.
This is a big shock to see sworn LE agents were involved. An armed, off duty ICE agent was also shot & killed by the violent prisoner who escaped from the Atlanta GA court building. The veteran ICE agent was fixing his truck and got shot by the spree killer/prison inmate.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
teeroux

Quote:
Not a new problem among Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
Well lets just say a case where Officer 1 and his wife work for X agency and Officer 2 of same X agency has an affair with Officer 1's wife and their mariage ends. Its not right but I can see how bullets could fly. Especially if Officer 2 is Officer 1's supervisor. It does happen.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:48 AM   #9
medalguy

I always hate to hear of anyone injured in a shooting of any kind, but this one really kinda blows away the theory long promoted by so many antis that only the police are properly trained in handling of firearms and ordinary citizens should not be entrusted to have them.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:09 AM   #10
vranasaurus

Not too long ago a Soldier killed his supervisor who was counseling him for being over weight.
Old February 18, 2012, 05:20 AM   #11
mete

Have you all forgotten "going postal" ? Much of this type of problem is casued by managers not taking care of problems in the early stages .Another cause is creating a hostile environment.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:30 AM   #12
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Ah, but Postal workers are not trained, expected or allowed to carry weapons at work or in their official capacity. You assume that if the "government" gives someone the power to carry a weapon legally and use it to enforce the law against the rest of us peons, he won't open up on his buddies. :roll eyes:

I suspect this is one of those cases where the antis will just ignore it. They want the law to have firearms. They don't want us to have firearms. This doesn't prove anything for them. It may, in fact, hurt their case that "we" can't be trusted and only LEOs should be armed. It demonstrates that people are people, no matter how much trust you place in them. That kind of common sense is antithetical to gun control.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
alloy

FOX crawl listed the event as an arguement over a employee review or evaluation, with the surviving supervisor suffering 6 bullet wounds.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:15 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Individuals snap. Ones in high stress jobs are more likely to. Its a known (and usually publically ignored) fact of life. Psych evals and counciling only work part of the time. And then only when the individual recognizes a problem and wants help.

Trained professionals screw up all the time. Even they are, after all, human. And, outside of the training, no better or worse than you or I. But the public perception is that having the training, and a badge of some sort makes them infallible. It certainly doesn't, but that's a different issue, or is it?

IIRC, in nearly 80 years the only crime committed with a legally owned full auto firearm was done by a police officer who owned it.

Our entertainment industry if full of stories about cops/govt agents gone bad, not entirely without some basis in reality. In this case, it seems to be an individual snapped (bad review from supervisor?) and went for his gun. Think what might have been the result if he had flipped out on the street, instead of in the Fed bldg, with other armed agents close by to stop him.
Old February 18, 2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Rembrandt

Agreed that people handle pressure differently, obviously screening helps but isn't always fool proof.

Jake on season 3 of Top Shot showed how people with extraordinary training and accomplishments sometimes don't have "basic people skills" when interacting with colleagues or other competitors. Here's a former Navy Seal that couldn't play well with the others and flipped out...packed his bag and went home because of the pressure of failing. Now he coaches football mentoring to youngsters....go figure.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:29 PM   #16
trex1310

Quote:
Crazy story, indeed. I've never heard anything like it. Talk about hating your boss.
You must not of heard of the Post Office.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old February 18, 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
youngunz4life

Quote:
Crazy story, indeed. I've never heard anything like it
It happened at another agency(during 1990's, possibly later decade) prompting metal detectors after the event. It also happened not too long ago in the Army. I know the second example isn't the same, but it had a lot of similarities.
Old February 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It happened at another agency(during 1990's, possibly later decade) prompting metal detectors after the event.
There is a perfect example of a knee jerk reaction. Metal detectors make us so much safer!

Armed Federal Agent. Either bypasses the detectors or gets a pass with his badge, like every other officially armed on duty person.

I think, by now, don't all major Fed office buildings have detectors? Of course, in this case, it would have made no difference at all.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #19
rburch

Not making light of a tragic situation, but I find it really interesting how a case of workplace violence ends with the shooter dead, and one victim wounded. Just because someone else in the building was armed.

Update I read last night, said another Agent rushed in when the shooting started. He wrestled with the shooter trying to take the gun away from him, but then at some point in the struggle he drew his own weapon and used it to stop the attack.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:14 AM   #20
MTT TL

I know of two majors who drew down on each other on the basketball court in Iraq. They had never gotten along and things were getting high stress. No one was hurt but they sent them to Kuwait to drive buses and count Milvans for a year. (as well getting an "I love you not" letter from the CG in their file).

People flip out under high stress even ones who are supposed to be highly trained. I have seen this other times as well.

This is the fourth LEO shot in California by other LEOs this year.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:34 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
This is the fourth LEO shot in California by other LEOs this year.
And it isn't even the end of February!

I haven't been following the news real close, so this many is a shock.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:43 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

NBC's Homicide, DC Metro, lethal force incidents...

Another point I wanted to make in this topic is that not all violent crimes occur in LE offices or areas just by cops/special agents.
A armed gang member ran directly into a large squad room and opened fire on several on duty detectives and crime witnesses. This was in Washington DC in the early 1990s. The same incident was re-enacted in a scene for the police drama Homicide in the late 1990s.
A more recent LE shooting took place in Detroit MI, where a armed nut-case fired directly at uniformed, on duty Detroit police officers in a lobby area.

Spree shootings or "suicide by cop" events are going up nationwide.
FBI data shows that the overall # of sworn LE officers killed by firearms increased 12%.

ClydeFrog