The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Red_Eagle

Remington 12 ga. hulls

I have bunch of Remington heavy sport load hulls. What do the powder companies call these in thier load data? Is that what Alliant is calling remington SP, or are they refering to high brass? I also have a few Nitro 27 hulls. They were "hanicap"dram. Do these have a different base wad than the normal Nitro 27's? Never loaded shotshells before.
Old June 21, 2007, 07:45 AM   #2
cdoc42

Cut one lengthwise and look more closely at the base wad.

The Remington RXP hulls are like Winchester AA; Remington SP have a different base wad and require Remington (in my experience) wads.

I don't know what the hulls you mentioned look like compared to these two, so I would cut them open and compare.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:16 PM   #3
WCW

The first thing you need to do is get yourself some good reference manuals, such as the Lyman shotshell manual or maybe The Handbook of Shotshell Reloading. Both have good illustrations so you can cut open one of the hulls you wish to use and see exactly what hull you have. The hulls you have are probably of the unibody style, as Remington uses these hulls for a lot of hunting loads and promotional rounds. High and low brass mean nothing in shotshell identification or usage.

If you have a large supply of these hulls, and plan on using or acquiring more of this style of hull, you are on the right track. It is far easier and much cheaper to lay in a supply of powder and wads for a specific type of hull. I use two style of hulls for all my shotshell reloading, and the same powder and wad in each. The only difference is color, and that is a quick reference for me as to what type of load they contain. ie. all trap and skeet loads are in Winchester AA hulls.

Enjoy the reloading.
Old June 23, 2007, 03:41 PM   #4
amamnn

Remington is wholeheartedly into making reloadable hulls. They have a very good customer service/tech department.