The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1
steelrat

Scales

Has anyone here used the Cabelas XT 1500 Digital Scale? I'm still brand new at reloading but think there's something wrong with this scale. First it won't hold zero all the time. It also seems to be showing different weights, for example I put a 125gn bullet on this scale, pulled it off and put it back on a bunch of times. I got the same reading about half the time, the other half the weight was plus or minus .4gn and one time it showed plus .5gn. Is this normal? Or is something wrong? I would lean on the scale having issues, but wanted to know what everyone else is using to decide to take it back and get the same thing, or some thing else. Thanks.
Old February 14, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2
sasquatch

scale

When my electronic scale weirded out on me, I changed the 9-volt battery. Presto !!
Old February 14, 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
steelrat

This one plugs in or runs off of a 9volt, I haven't tried it with a battery yet.
Old February 14, 2007, 11:56 AM   #4
ECLIPSE45ACP

go old school, beams scales are better, less chance for error.
Old February 14, 2007, 12:44 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I have a different brand scale but you might want to try this, mine is an inexpensive Pact that I bought at Cabela's. My scale is supposed to have a 5 minute warm up period. After it warms up I calibrate it and then check it with a bullet and it seems to be fine.
Rusty
Old February 14, 2007, 02:30 PM   #6
snuffy

Get some of these check weights. That's the ONLY way to know IF your scale is calibrated properly. They work for any scale. The 2 brass weights in the pic are the calibration weights for my pact/RCBS powder pro electronic scale.

I got them here;
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=212586

Drafts/air movement from a furnace vent will wreck havoc with any scale. Electronic scales a sensitive to line voltage surges, from motors or other appliances starting or stopping in the house. Also it is said that florescent lights will affect the scales. Mine goes nuts when I use my hole shooter drill motor near it. The commutator type motor throws a spark signal that must interfere with the workings of the scale.

That said, I've had my scale for ten years. It's worked just fine for all that time. At first, I checked it against my Ohaus ballance beam, I gave the Ohaus away a couple years ago! I've paired it up with a pact dispensor 3 years ago, that too works very well.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 14, 2007, 04:05 PM   #7
CrustyFN

Quote:
Drafts/air movement from a furnace vent will wreck havoc with any scale.
Great point snuffy. That reminded me about one time I was weighing on the scale and I was close enough that my breathing was affecting the measurement. Must have been heavy breathing from the excitement from reloading.
Rusty
Old February 14, 2007, 06:37 PM   #8
cheygriz

I'll second Snuffy here!! The check weights are MANDATORY!

I also prefer the beam balance to the digital. I have both, abnd seldom use the digital. Brand name doesn't matter on the beam balance as long as it is manufactured by Ohaus scale co.