The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #26
Water-Man

M&P or Glock.
Old June 23, 2013, 04:54 PM   #27
jmr40

I like Glock, M&P better than XD. But already having an XD in another caliber would influence my decision. Keeping everything the same can be a good thing.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

between the sub compact glock and the sub compact springfield, both in 45, my vote goes to springfield.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Do the wadcutters offer any advantage over a hollowpoint? And in states where HPs may be a legal problem, would Federals Guard Dog 'shrouded' HPs be, in your opinion, a satisfactory defensive round? I have no preconceptions, as I've never shot lead from my guns, nor have I had a chance to shoot Federals product.
smokiniron, they do not. The only load that I use for practice or training purposes are handloads that are at least as powerful as any factory load I might use for carry. My 200 gr SWC loads in .45 ACP are strictly for plinking and because they cut such nice round holes in a target. I just thought I should mention that XD pistols will not reliably feed them, whereas the XDm was designed specifically so that you can use LSWC bullets. My SR45 functions without a hitch regardless of the load used, but like the XDm, the center feed rail is inclined toward the breechface to keep rounds in the mag. from interfering from the round being ejected. I love the XDm, but IMO, the Ruger SR9/40/45 are the best striker-fired polymer framed pistols available and I get a sense of pride from them being manufactured in Prescott, AZ USA.

Also, if I lived in NJ, I would probably load my SR45 with the Federal EFMJ.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:38 PM   #30
haliwa04

Re: Which .45acp Xdm or Glock or??????

Here's and updated list of possible and as much as it pains me to do this, there are a couple Blocks on the list.
1)xdm .45 compact
2)shield .40(found a few in gunshops locally)
3)Glock 30/36
4)xd45 compact(probably the least "compact")
5)Glock 27/23 I think those are the compact .40s

Now, here's the criteria:
1)must be concealable for hot weather within reason(I dress around my piece)
2)must be dead nuts reliable
3) I'd like to use it occasionally for competition(uspsa maybe once a month), so it has to be accurate and be able to take the beatings
4)has to have aftermarket support as I'm a tinkerer and everything can be improved
Old June 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Tactical Jackalope

Since I don't see any 9mm's on that list.

I'd say the Sheild in .40 or the Glock 30 then Glock 23.
Old June 27, 2013, 04:22 PM   #32
haliwa04

Well, after much fumbling with every gun in every shop in 40 miles, I grabbed a shield in .40 and of course some douche grabbed the last box of .40fmj before I could finish my paperwork. That's OK though, because I saved enough $$$$ buying new that I can stop a few places on the way home and build a stash.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Which .45acp Xdm or Glock or??????

Ah darn. So you didn't get the shield then? But you're planning to, right? Awesome choice.

Quick question and sorry if its already been answered. Why not 9mm?
Old June 27, 2013, 06:38 PM   #34
Wreck-n-Crew

I have to go with the XD. My second choice is something other than you mentioned and my third would be the Glock.

Either one of your choices are reliable and accurate and will serve you well.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:54 PM   #35
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Ah darn. So you didn't get the shield then? But you're planning to, right? Awesome choice.

Quick question and sorry if its already been answered. Why not 9mm?
I did get a shield in .40. I didn't get 9mm because I kind of got bored with shooting it. I trust 9mm to stop anyone, hell I'm sure .22 would be enough for the common attacker to give up. I wanted something between 9mm and .45 to compromise with my woman. Picture Tim the Toolman Taylor with guns. What does he want? More POWER!!! What does Jill want? Something she's comfy shooting. The woman takes care of the babies while I'm working and I can't carry in the office. So, she'll have a nice little cannon should someone try to mug her.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:55 PM   #36
ClydeFrog

Smith & Wesson M&P .45acp compact....

I got a NIB Smith and Wesson .45acp compact last week.
The striker fired M&P compact is robust, easy to maintain & service, has many after market parts & accessories, and offers decent marksmanship.
It fit my left hand M&P SERPA holster too.
I plan to use MagSafe SWAT .45acp for home defense & maybe Hornady Critical Duty 220gr +P for vehicle carry/concealed carry.

ClydeFrog
Old June 28, 2013, 12:15 PM   #37
haliwa04

Getting ready for the ride home

Posing with the other kids

PS: I picked the 10/22 up this morning, $170 barely used with the BSA Classic, which is getting replaced as soon as funds allow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372439715061.jpg (146.8 KB, 36 views)
Old June 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

Nice! Very very nice. Congrats, really good BUG or for those who CCW pocket pistols. One of the best IMO.

I would have gotten 9mm. But it's whatever makes YOU happy.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:11 PM   #39
Bart Noir

Quote:
What does Jill want? Something she's comfy shooting.
And you got her a midget .40?

Let us know how the first range session turns out. For me, the .40 baby Glock was too lively and flipped the muzzle up too much. And then there is the high pressure blast, with incomplete burning of powder in such a short barrel.

That small means a 9mm to me. Until I bought the .45 XDs, that is. It is surprisingly controllable.

Bart Noir
Old June 28, 2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade. But I second Bart Noir, the smaller the gun the more the recoil. Especially in .40.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #41
Kevin_d77

I third that. The Shield 9 is more than comfortable for my wife to shoot. I now own one as well. Shot a buddy's 40, it was not a ton of fun. It was definitely shoot able but the recoil was substantially greater and it is a small pistol with thin grips.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:06 PM   #42
EveryCaliber

Quote:
I'd definitely go with the Glock 30sf, 30s, or 36. In that order.
^^^ I second Constantine's comment!

All things considered, I think the XDS 45 seems like an excellent design... except for that darn grip safety.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:56 PM   #43
haliwa04

This guns mine, but she will shoot it. As a matter of fact, she's a better shot with it than I am. Of course we only went through 50 rounds today before the storm started rolling in. She said it wasn't bad at all, this coming from someone that disliked 5 rounds from an xds in .45 and 1 mag of .380 from a bodyguard. She's shot my 1911 more than I thought she would. I think next up for me will be an m&p40c and fs. After getting $800 worth of guns for about $600 in two days, she's on board. Better/bigger storage, her ccp, and more guns.

Oh Yea, I almost, almost got a Glock 36, but the shield fit the need a little better. I've never shot a Glock, although I fondled every model and gen I could find. Including a raced out Glock 20, it was well over 1k and ugly as sin, but was cool. Mrs Haliwa said the only Glock she would even consider was one of the .40s, can't remember which one though. And I was almost sold on a 20c for a woods gun, but the price of plinking ammo made me sneeze(allergic to ridiculous). None of the shops(and we went to quite a few) had a compact xdm, in any caliber. I did find a 9mm xds, and that was pretty high on the final list simply for the size and the fact that I still love the XD line. Got a little while before another gun comes.

Last edited by haliwa04; June 28, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:08 PM   #44
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryCaliber View Post
^^^ I second Constantine's comment!

All things considered, I think the XDS 45 seems like an excellent design... except for that darn grip safety.
I take it you don't like 1911's? Its a safety yes, but is it something you have to think about? No. It makes sure you have the gun in your hand correctly and I've never had a problem XD or 1911 grip safety.

Tags
.45acp , concealed , glock , springfield