The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 19, 2010, 08:58 PM   #51
spaniel

G23 and Taurus 85 in the fingerprint safe under the bed...the Glock for me and I acquired the Taurus for my wife after an attempted break-in that made me realize that if I went for the kid's room I left my wife alone unprotected.

I've never been the type to stomach a loaded weapon in the house not locked up, it only takes one slip-up to land you in prison and with a lifetime of regret. The safe opens in under 2sec, if I don't have that much time to get to the gun I probably shouldn't be going for it.
Old March 21, 2010, 03:35 PM   #52
Hard Ball

Under my temperpedic pillow
Old March 26, 2010, 11:46 AM   #53
Jamesaritchie

Having a solid bedroom door with a deadbolt helps, as long as your kids are old enough to walk to the door and knock. It keeps kids from wandering in, it means a bad guy can't just walk in, either, and it means you actually have time to wake up and get the groggy out before you have to make the decision of using the weapon.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:44 PM   #54
Cooter Brown

Something to consider

For those of you who don't have children, please consider (however rare) when a friend or family member VISITS WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!! I have a 2 year old, so this is not an issue for me as I have an electronic safe, Moss is stored high, etc. But I have nephews (8&7) who visit. They get into everything as all kids do. I once realize after a full day of visitors and their kids that I had left my loaded 357 in my nightstand. My heart almost fell out of my pooper as I booked it to my bedroom to prevent a tragedy.
Old April 4, 2010, 11:13 AM   #55
joshe1024

I keep my sig 245 in my night stand with 2 extra clips, knife and flashlight. Got a gun digest magazine in there too in case of a drawn out stand-off. I also keep the single shot ten in the closet with a box of OObuck thats about 6 ft. further away than the pistol. If an incident was to occur lock bedroom door go into master-bath lock that door. hallway like entrance into bathroom so if BG was that ambitious they wouldn't have anywhere to go not much aiming required if it came down to that. Wife and myself have always tried to plan ahead for any possible situation.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:28 PM   #56
ATW525

A V-Line Hide-Away next to the bed holds both of my Glocks. A V-Line rifle case on the wall next to the door holds the long gun and is set for the same combination as the Hide-Away.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:07 PM   #57
david58

357 revolver in pushbutton "feel" safe on wife's side of bed, my 1911 in the safe on my side of the bed. Not always, but we usually have the safes open when we hit the hay.
Old April 18, 2010, 06:37 PM   #58
Garybock

Where do you keep handgun at night

No kids in house. The 2 Smith & Wesson 340s are on night stand's on either side of bed. My S&W 686 is in my range bag under my night stand. Shotguns in bedroom closet and in corner of family room.
Old April 19, 2010, 02:54 PM   #59
camsdaddy

I just realized Im guilty of a lot of nights. I leave my M38 in my pants pocket. My pants are either left next to the bed or in the bedroom. I have other weapons withing 10 or so feet. My issue I just thought of is if someone is looking for money they will look for a wallet, wallets are in pockets. I figure if Im not allerted then they will also find a firearm which they may use to find other valubles.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:27 PM   #60
SmithWesson357

The best place is somewhere you can easily access it but wouldn't be visible to an intruder. The best way is to mount a holster behind your headboard or something similar.
Old April 20, 2010, 12:17 PM   #61
Abraxxas

I do something similar to that stated by SmithWesson357, I have a small nightstand next to my bed and the following works quite nicely. Around the bottom edge of the top shelf is a small overhang/trim piece or "skirt" that creates a recess under the top shelf that you can reach up "into" from the side but cant see unless you kneel on the floor and look up under it. I took some short countersunk screws and ran them through a soft holster to hold it flat under the top shelf without the screws protruding through the top. I laid in bed, reached my hand under the table top in the most natural position holding my gun and marked it's rotation in relation to the table top. After I found the most natural position to draw from bed, I screwed it in place... I can draw or reholster the gun easily by feel, great for dark and have a Surefire next to my alarm clock. No kids in the house, one 1911 is always there.
Old April 20, 2010, 12:27 PM   #62
(BH)

I usually sleep (or rather, wait with one eye open) with my Desert Eagle in a thigh rig under my ghillie suit.

Some call me the Dream Warrior.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old April 22, 2010, 04:55 PM   #63
BitterTait

In a top-open night stand. I added a latch and a combination lock to keep prying fingers out, but used short screws so that in the event of an emergency, I can force it open with minimal effort. Not the optimal, but total cost was about $15, and it lets me both sleep at night and leave the house worry free.

If I wasn't a poor student, I'd have some sort of pushbutton combination safe. No kids here, none likely to come, but having a cousin who shot himself in the head while fooling around with his parents gun kinda makes me think that safe storage is a good idea.
Old April 22, 2010, 06:52 PM   #64
publius

Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster, Gerber guardian on left ankle. SPAS next to the bed.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:42 PM   #65
IZZY

I use a wad of chewing gum to secure it to my forehead.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:18 PM   #66
EnoughGUN

this brings a question to mind. I keep my .45 in a finger combo safe in my closet which a few feet from the bed. Is it a better idea to have it right next to the bed? I figured since my place is pretty hard to enter that I would hear anyone coming in and have time to get up, lock my door and open the safe.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:19 PM   #67
FireForged

In the night stand ready to go......
Old April 26, 2010, 08:21 PM   #68
wilkup

Quote:
Coltman 77:
We also have a 110 lb. Airedale, Angus.
That is the BIGGEST Airdale I've ever heard of... by like at least 50 lbs!!! What do you feed that dog/ is he/she a purebred?

As for me, I am guilty of being a bit "unsafe" in most peoples' eyes because I too sleep with a loaded gun (not one in the chamber though) under my pillow and a couple loaded mags in the night stand next to my bed. I am actually doing to be purchasing a Blackhawk Serpa Quick Disconnect Kit that I will mount on the backside of my headboard upside down in the most comfortable position to remove it from loaded with a full mag and one in the pipe.

Glock 17 19+1 rounds and extra 33 round mag with LaserMax and Surefire X300 weapon light
Old April 27, 2010, 07:09 PM   #69
Peptobismol9

20 gauge between bed and nightstand. Revolver on nightstand, not usually loaded, and ammo for 20 gauge next to it. Along with that a hatchet, 3 combat knives, a spoon, phone, and 4 heavy ammo cans to swing. Straight across the room there is 3 rifles and hhundreds more knives and rounds of ammo varying from 7.62 nagant to 20mm explosive. Bayonettes, meat cleavers, swords, machetes, slingblades, sickles, daggers, 2 of those funny spiked knuckle dusters and 3 other normal knuckle dusters. 4 Throwing stars in the walls hold up some hats and a display of civil war musket balls. Aside from that tons of parts for my sks and such. So the short answer, now that I realize I am probally a complete lunatic, is everywhere. FOR THE APOCALYPSE!!!
Old April 27, 2010, 07:25 PM   #70
rickyjames

"That is the BIGGEST Airdale I've ever heard of... by like at least 50 lbs!!! What do you feed that dog/ is he/she a purebred?"

big airedales are not unusual. i have two 100 pounders myself from the ouachita kennels. they are as purebred as any show airedale, airedale history is loaded with "larger types". if you think a standard type airedale is good (and they are) then look into larger type airedales can do so much more.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:26 PM   #71
Miketodd04

I keep my daily cc sw40ve in the bottom of the nightstand loaded with one in the pipe, next to it is the flashlight and another mag. 20g pump in the closet with shells on the shelf. the .38 snubby is in my underwear drawer where my wife has practiced getting it if need be. I have an 8 month old and when he starts crawling and walking I will be investing in a safe with the push buttons, I really like those.
Old April 28, 2010, 01:08 AM   #72
Wuchak

I think an electronic safe is the best bet (they all have key backup) but if you don't trust them one of the Hide-a-gun picture frames or clocks might be a good choice. Just hang it near the bed. You can get them from Amazon, Sportsman's guide, etc. They keep the gun out of sight and when it comes to children there is the added advantage of them being too high on the wall for the kids to reach. You can get them sized just for a handgun and a larger size with room for a flashlight and extra magazines. Here's a good price on the larger sized one. A lot of 2 for $40 http://countryside.myshopify.com/pro...me-12-00-2-lot

Just make sure the kiddies aren't home when you hang it and never let them see you touch it so it doesn't attract their curiosity.

If you're somewhat handy you can make your own frame with parts from the hardware store. You could even make it recessed into the wall near the bed.

Last edited by Wuchak; April 28, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:51 PM   #73
skinsman

I realize how politically incorrect this post will be, and how some people will possibly be offended, but after reading all this…… I was left without little choice but to toss in my two cents. I sleep with my sig 229 .40 next to me on the night stand, I also have a loaded 12 gauge in the closet with 4 buck, 3 in. mag. I have kids…. I have a gun safe. The safe is meant for thieves, not the kids. MY children have been taught from DAY ONE to respect, and operate (age appropriate of course) and do not handle my firearms without permission. On a side note, they also have NEVER been allowed into my bed room. Its my one little space in the world, after all, I do pay the bills. Something I think that has gotten lost in todays society. Teach your children well. I grew up around guns of all kinds at all times, NEVER was there an issue in my house. When I was 12, I kept my own guns, 3 at that time, in my own closet, in my own room, WITH my own ammo. Never a problem. However “OLD SCHOOL” this may be, and regardless of what laws are out there, I will never change my belief in teach the children instead of fortify against them. I have 3 kids, 11, 9, 6. To date, they follow all rules surrounding the guns in the house hold.
Old April 29, 2010, 02:01 PM   #74
alberich

No kids and me behind bulletproof strongdoor, so I really don't expect a sudden home invasion, but if you have a really small baby, why not to have your gun in condition 3 (mag in but round not chambered), and pistol closed in your nightstand but unlocked.
Many unexperienced people have problems to move a slide so I suppose the baby would be pretty safe?
Old April 30, 2010, 11:40 PM   #75
psychohellbilly666

I have a sig p226 9mm with an extra mag on the nightstand unholstered and a 12 gauge slug barreled mossberg loaded with 00 buck in two door wardrobe . Also bedroom is upstairs and has a dead bolt with 2 light sleeping dogs (sheltie mix and corgi mix) in the bedroom with us. So the theory is the dogs will alert us. The BG has to break the bedroom door open. That should give enough time for me to arm the wife with the sig and me to grab the shotgun.