The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2022, 04:56 PM   #26
jetinteriorguy

Hmm, good suggestion. Even though I gave everything else a thorough cleaning I never thought of the primer tube. Although I don’t think this is the problem it’s still worth doing. I’m guessing from what I’ve observed the slide is sticking just a little short of picking up a primer. I did clean everything according to Dillons help videos, and adjusted the wire that moves the slide back and forth to put a little more pressure on the slide, also according to Dillons instructional video.
Old August 21, 2022, 09:26 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, do clean the tube. One of the long pipe cleaners used for AR gas tube cleaning and a little alcohol pushed down inside will tell you if it's dirty. If so, pull it off and use a .177 pellet gun cleaning rod and patches for the best effect.

Also, the plastic feed lips on the primer tubes wear out and have to be replaced periodically. They're included in your parts kit, but I don't know if you tried changing yours.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 22, 2022, 05:21 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Yes, do clean the tube. One of the long pipe cleaners used for AR gas tube cleaning and a little alcohol pushed down inside will tell you if it's dirty. If so, pull it off and use a .177 pellet gun cleaning rod and patches for the best effect.

Also, the plastic feed lips on the primer tubes wear out and have to be replaced periodically. They're included in your parts kit, but I don't know if you tried changing yours.
I was planning on using my cleaning kit for my 17HMR to clean the primer tube. As far as the plastic lips go, my primer tube has a brass tip on the end, no plastic. I assumed the plastic tips included in my parts kit are for a newer model 550, as long as the slider comes all the way to the rear it always picks up a primer, but occasionally I find it just not quite going all the way. I did bend the wire activator thingy for a little more pressure which helped tremendously, but I’d say maybe once in every two hundred rounds or so I’m still failing to pick up a primer.
Old August 24, 2022, 04:07 PM   #29
jetinteriorguy

I had a first today. I finally got a few minutes to do some loading and loaded up a quick hundred rounds without a single glitch. Looks like cleaning the primer tube was the final thing to get right. Thanks for the help all.