The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2022, 12:29 AM   #26
Metal god

I think 1.5" 10 shot group at 100yds with iron sights is really good . If that's still with the 55gr FMJ that's excellent and would likely mean match bullets and a scope would shoot sub moa no problem .

As far as the brass . I don't see the issues you are having When I said my velocities were not as good as my bolt guns , I'm talking some ES can be in the 50fps area . That's nowhere near 5% . I anneal after the 4th or 5th firing and I don't split the neck . I also have literally thousands of cases so by the time I get 4 or 5 firings ..... well lets just say many of my lots don't have that many firings yet so maybe I would . I could shoot 20k rounds and none of my cases would have more then 3 firings if I fired every one before starting the next loads . Yes I anneal but really not that often because of the quantity of brass I have .

Same thing goes for my velocities . Once I've done some preliminary testing with a single lot of brass . I don't keep sending rounds through a chrono . This means I may be getting the same spreads as you through out the entire lot . Maybe I should do some random testing from time to time and see if I'm still at the same SD/ES I had when first tested .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 6, 2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old August 6, 2022, 01:07 AM   #27
tangolima

It is with 77gr speer varmint bullets. Not match bullets as I am cheap. Heavier bullet is one of the accurizing methods that work. The best group I have with 55gr bullet is 2".

The group I shot this afternoon is 1.2" R50 and 1.6" R95. 10 shots at moderate fast speed, including one flyer that I failed to call. Assuming my ability to group with iron sight is 1", the rifle is capable of 0.7". With scope, I expect less than 1".

MV variation was +/- 2% before tightening brass weight spread. I managed to control it under +/- 1%. It is still ES of 60fps.

-TL

PS. We are still in lean years, so I conserve. Usually I load up 20 rounds. 3 rounds for verifying zero (mostly windage). Then I will fire 10 rounds "for effect". The last 7 rounds are for play. Firing at steel targets or clay pigeons.

Last edited by tangolima; August 6, 2022 at 01:38 AM.
Old August 8, 2022, 09:21 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

If you have access to a lab balance or at least to a scale with 0.01-grain resolution, try sorting your primers by weight, too. The Courtneys reported this making a difference. Be sure your primers a seated firmly. Ideally, if you took the depth of the primer pocket and subtracted the height of your primer before seating, you would subtract 0.003" from the result to see how far below flush with the case head your seated primer should be. This guarantees 0.003" compression of the anvil into the priming pellet (aka, setting the bridge or reconsolidation), which Naval Ordnance found to be about ideal. Failure to get consistent reconsolidation can lead to small differences in ignition time which can create fliers by giving any motion in the barrel different amounts of time to shift the muzzle position.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 8, 2022, 06:00 PM   #29
tangolima

Unclenick. Thanks. I haven't thought of sorting the primers. It may not be practical with the equipment I have though. My electronic scale can doing 1mg or 0.015gr, so the reading is dithering by 0.02gr.

I probably will stop here. 1.5" group is my target. It is already tighter than the 2" standard I set for milsurps, considering that it is a modern military rifle. I am happy.

The neck split is unexpected. I think the brass for small caliber is actually overworked.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old August 9, 2022, 11:21 AM   #30
Average Joe

I use a lot of LC brass, works just fine.