The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2022, 12:00 AM   #26
Metal god

I like my Lyman universal trimmer . No special shell holders needed , all cases seem to fit just fine . If you know how the RCBS universal priming tool holds cases , the Lyman trimmer is similar but has a second quick adjustment base to lock the case in tight . I'll add that ( at least for me ) the Lyman locks the cases in tight enough to not need the pilots which is good when trimming several thousandths off a neck because the shavings get caught/stuck between the pilot and inside case mouth , making it hard to remove or scratch the insides of the necks .

Do you guys have a link or a pic of the Lee trimmer you all are talking about ? I used a Lee trimmer when I first started and it worked ok at best . My Lyman is light years better so maybe I was using something different .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Unclenick; July 21, 2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old July 28, 2022, 11:07 PM   #27
westernrover

Sorting the brass first will be helpful. I always start with new brass of the same headstamp. After it's been shot and reloaded however many times, I am measuring the case length with calipers to find a length that no more than 1/3 of my cases are shorter than. Cases shorter than my spec, go into the short bucket. Cases that are between my spec and 0.002" over don't get trimmed. They go into the ready-to-expand bucket. Cases that are more than 0.002" over my spec go into the trim bucket. My trim bucket usually ends up with less than 1/3 the total volume of cases.

If trimming case mouths to be uniform in the crimp, it is equally important that they be of consistent length and that they be square. Trimmers that won't trim the case mouth square aren't adding anything but brass chips to your bench. I use a Wilson trimmer with the Q-type case holder.

Brass can be trimmed after it's fire-formed in the chamber, or after resizing. I trim my handgun brass after it's been resized but before the case mouth is expanded. Shooting and resizing rifle brass tends to lengthen it. Shooting and resizing handgun brass tends not to change it much or to shorten it after many reloadings. Eventually, I'll have a lot of brass in the short bucket and I'll reset my spec to three or four thou shorter than what I'm using now and I'll be using all that brass again.
Old July 29, 2022, 11:44 AM   #28
Road_Clam

You guys trim revolver brass ?
Old July 29, 2022, 05:20 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

A lot of folks do it once to get their case lengths, and therefore the amount of crimp from a fixed crimp die position, consistent. But once done, I've never had to repeat it before mouth splits started retiring the brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 29, 2022, 05:41 PM   #30
zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Have experienced revolver cases getting longer in levers when using full power loads. Especially after several firings. One time i mixed them altogether, but trimmed them to match the length of cases fired in the revolvers so crimp would be consistent. Same batch of brass. If possible, easier to keep the brass segregated.

If i was mixing several brands of fired brass, especially range pick ups, would check some for length, and consider trimming them depending on purpose.
Old July 29, 2022, 07:48 PM   #31
ammo.crafter

trimmer

I have an ancient RCBS hand trimmer that I converted to electric using an electric drill.
Old August 3, 2022, 11:01 PM   #32
The Happy kaboomer

In over 50 years of reloading I have never trimmed any pistol/revolver brass.
Old August 5, 2022, 11:09 AM   #33
Metal god

Quote:
In over 50 years of reloading I have never trimmed any pistol/revolver brass.
I trim all my handgun brass once the first time I prep it . I get military once fired and range pickup brass from my local range . I've said this before somewhere and I'll bring it up here . It takes me the same amount of time to measure a piece of brass as it does to trim it . I'd rather just run everything through the trimmer removing the step of measuring them . That way there is zero questions later if there's a feeding issue if the case was to long .

I've never really paid attention to how many in lets say a 1k ct lot actually needs to be trimmed but off the top of my head I'd say more then 20% less the 40% . This is putting them back to trim to length and not to say because I trimmed "some" brass off they were to long to work . Only that 20 to 40% need some brass removed to return them to the trim to length .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 7, 2022, 06:00 AM   #34
Mike / Tx

Back when I started handgun hunting my wife and I went through a lot of ammo in magnum calibers. I shot mainly Winchester brass but also Starline. What I found was for general shooting, untrimmed and mixed cases shot just fine. Most will hold respectable accuracy.

That said, I usually still trim the brass for my hunting loads. I want to remove anything from the mix that might cause a flyer. There are enough errors induced by environmental or human errors. Consistent crimping is just in my routine. Shooting jacketed might let you slide by here and there but I've found that cast really likes to be set at the shoulders of the crimping groove.

For my bottom feeders, if they chamber they get shot. Even for my hunting pistols I just clean em up, load and shoot.
Old August 9, 2022, 11:16 PM   #35
The Happy kaboomer

In handgun brass trimming or not trimming has little to no effect on accuracy.....In fact handgun brass gets SHORTER with repeated firings. You can verify that with your own cases.
Old August 10, 2022, 12:06 AM   #36
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy kaboomer View Post
In handgun brass trimming or not trimming has little to no effect on accuracy.....In fact handgun brass gets SHORTER with repeated firings. You can verify that with your own cases.
Still trying to figure out why anyone would bother.
Old September 4, 2022, 05:10 PM   #37
Mannlicher

If my revolver brass is not way out of spec, I just don’t bother to trim. If I do, I use my ancient RCBS manual trimmer.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 4, 2022, 08:32 PM   #38
RoyceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
I purchased some "once fired" 45 Colt brass and had to because it was too long. I purchased the Lee case trimmers and they made quick accurate work of it. No idea how or why, it came that way.
Old September 9, 2022, 11:40 AM   #39
Mannlicher

I revisited this the other day, and measured a lot of .45 Colt brass. No reason to trim any of it

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 9, 2022, 01:25 PM   #40
gwpercle

The cheapest , easiest , fastest way for me is with a trim die and file .
Run the case up into the die , whatever sticks above the hardened die top ...
you file it off flat with the die . Inside and outside deburr and you done ...
No muss No fuss no measuring and when done everyone is exactly the same length .
Mine is marked Herter's .
Gary
Old September 9, 2022, 10:07 PM   #41
The Happy kaboomer

Never trimmed auto/revolver brass. And never will.......I do on my hunting rifle brass with shoulders......Never or straight walled cases such as 444 Marlin or 45/70.......Been casting, loading and shooting for the last 49 years.