The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2022, 11:46 AM   #26
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Throat erosion, if caught early enough, is relatively easy to mitigate with the Tubbs system to extend barrel life. I know some .308 gas gun guys who use the Tubbs system every 3K and get 15K out of their barrels.
What accuracy do they get after 15,000 rounds?

Who are they?
Old July 31, 2022, 06:22 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Tubb himself claims match accuracy is maintained that long. Guys were experimenting with very shallow throat angles (Harold Vaughn, for one) of 0.75° for a time and claimed it was good for accuracy, and it appears to me from Tubb's cutaway photos, that the Throat Maintenance System may turn a worn throat into one resembling those shallow angle throats. Tubb says he does get other match shooters to test his stuff, but I don't recall who may have tested his Final Finish and Throat Maintenance Systems, if I ever knew. He may mention names in some of his YouTube videos.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 31, 2022, 06:39 PM   #28
hounddawg

I have used the Tubb System to break in a barrel, makes for a quick 10 round breakin. Never used it for restoring one, I may have to try it this fall on a .223 that is getting long in the tooth, err throat