The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2016, 03:08 PM   #26
g.willikers

In a pinch, an airgun will definitely keep ya' in enough snakes, birds, chubby chipmunks and small yappy dogs to stay well fed.
And just plain ole' enough shooting to not even miss .22 rimfires.
Old November 13, 2016, 06:41 PM   #27
NavyVet1959

I have recently started doing some tests with a .22 power load (nail gun blank) loaded behind a 55gr cast bullet using the Lee .225 Bator mold. I can get the power loads for a lot cheaper than .22LR ammo these days and in fact, I can get them for even cheaper than just *primers* for centerfire reloads. The #1 (gray) loads seem to be about the equivalent of standard velocity .22LR. The #2 (brown) loads seem to be about like the hyper velocity .22LR, maybe a bit more. This works better with a break-action (or even bolt-action) than it does with a semi-auto. Pure lead bullets will resize as you push them into the rifling without too much difficulty, but bullets case from pure clip-on wheelweights or even 50:50 WW:Pb are often difficult to fully chamber.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old November 13, 2016, 11:17 PM   #28
5whiskey

Quote:
(I have 8 lbs. of the powder and 1,000 lbs of lead and mebbe 3K small primers). To say I'm gonna run out of supplies and should buy an air gun is silly...
No it isn't... You have enough lead to last a good while, enough powder for 7200 loads, and enough primers for 3k. I don't even shoot very often, but I will burn through at least 3k rounds in a year between the kids and I. That's a very light year, its probably closer to 5k a year normally. So you have a couple a years worth of supply with powder. A year being stingy with the primers. Maybe 5 years worth of lead if you stretch it out. This is just my shooting habit. I know there are people here who shoot way more.

I've long wanted a PCP air rifle, probably a Sam Yang in .357. My brothers FIL had one, and he and I can pick off 20oz bottle tops at 25 yards with it using a patched OO buckshot ball. Energy is around 160 ft-lbs. Alas, to get set up you can drop 1k at a minimum.