The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2010, 02:03 PM   #26
langenc

Ronbert- no need for the redface. He uses Charmin just like us. He also had several state troopers there, id bet.
Old January 8, 2010, 05:43 PM   #27
El Paso Joe

Twice - First time when I was seventeen and living in Iran (it was a long time ago). I was out with a large collection of wannabe juvenile delinquents - self included - and had a pistol stuck in my waist band. We got rounded up by security in one of the hotels and ushered into a room downstairs. One of the youngster's dads was influential and bailed us before we were searched.

Second time when I was in the Navy at NAB Coronado. There was a random vehicle search at the gate and I was selected. They found a couple of pistols. We could go to Vietnam and have guns but not here. Fortunately, one of the guys at the base security office was someone I had know in Spec Warfare Group. He arranged a locker at the main gate for me to keep my guns in and nothing more was said about it.

In both instances I was very lucky - and pretty dumb...
Old January 8, 2010, 06:45 PM   #28
tarheel34

Since I retired, I try to make "loop" trips when I go out shopping, to the firing range, etc. Often, I would like to go onto the nearby military base to do a little shopping and it's almost within spitting distance of the range I go to. Unfortunately, I can never include a base stop with any trips. That always has to be a "go there...come back home" run, costing me time and gas money needlessly. Admittedly, I could go to the base and several other stops WITHOUT carrying but I refuse to do that.

Retired USAF
NRA Member
Old January 8, 2010, 08:53 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

One time as I approached the Soo Locks, and realized it was a government installation where firearms were verboten. I had a long run back to the truck to lock it up as the family waited.

Mostly I was PO'd at the government nonsense.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:57 PM   #30
Darsh

Only when I get invited to the bar on $1 beer night!
Old January 8, 2010, 10:46 PM   #31
Nnobby45

No, not one time in 15 yrs.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:11 PM   #32
Rich Miranda

Quote:
Have you ever wished you were NOT carrying?
Generally, no, but there was one odd instance.

I was visiting with a friend who had picked me up in his car. We went out to lunch and hung out for a while. I then got a call from my wife: she was taking my toddler son to the ER because he had managed to cut his penis (no it wasn't cut off, and he is 100% OK).

Well, my friend and I agreed that he should drop me directly at the hospital, and off we went. When we arrived I jumped out of the car, said thanks and bye, then ran off. As I approached the hospital doors I saw the 30.06 sign and remembered my CCW. Kind of in a bind...no car to leave it in, and son inside with a floppy tallywacker....hmmm. After a moment of deliberation, I just went in.

After I found out that he'd be OK, I got my wife's keys and went to her car, unloaded and hid my gun.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:36 PM   #33
bobn

yes. more times than not. bobn
Old January 9, 2010, 01:46 PM   #34
Croz

Only time ever was at Christmas when I realized, after standing in line at the post office for 25 minutes, that I had forgotten to remove my gun in the car.

That feeling when you think everyone can tell you're carrying, it goes up one million fold when you are someplace you you're not supposed to be.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:18 PM   #35
traumac

carrying the wrong one?

I went to the Miami Phish concert. Had my Glock 19 IWB. The "security guards" were sorta frisking all. I went back to car to dump the rather large friend. I have learned that a pocket carry would have been better, I think. Time to buy another toy.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:06 PM   #36
reaperrecon

Nope, would carry in my swimming suit if I could keep them up.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #37
Hard Ball

No, I never have.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:16 AM   #38
Balog

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumac
I went to the Miami Phish concert. Had my Glock 19 IWB. The "security guards" were sorta frisking all. I went back to car to dump the rather large friend. I have learned that a pocket carry would have been better, I think. Time to buy another toy.
At some of the heavy metal concerts I've been to they make you empty your pockets then pat you down. Amazingly, people seem to get their weed and lighters in just fine...
Old January 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #39
Peru

while living in central america had a friend who was very fortunate that he was not carrying.

illegal construction workers working on a house adjacent to his had been eyeballing his very good looking sister. on the day he took her to the airport they decided they wanted a piece of his sister. fortunately they struck as he arrived home from dropping her off at the airport. he was not packing due to the trip to the airport.

he pulled up to his house and from the side of his house where his front door was located he was confronted by a machete wielding punk. had he been packing he would have drawn the gun. a few moments (seconds) later he had a shot gun pressed against his back by a second punk. he was taken into his house and him and his mother where tied up and he was beaten pretty bad because his sister did not arrive. They stayed all night and decided to split in the morning when his sister did not show. All in all he was very fortunate. there was a chance he and his mother and sister would have been shot after they had their way with his sister. he would have been shot had he pulled his gun. again he was very happy he was not packing.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:18 AM   #40
The Tourist

Oh, yes, there is this one time.

For those who know me, it would be around mid-August in 1979.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:10 PM   #41
Matt19

Every situation has its own dynamics. So there are situations where not carrying does in fact work out. As in the case of Peru's friend.
Old January 17, 2010, 04:39 PM   #42
Gary L. Griffiths

Not really.

Closest I came was when I couldn't go into the Smithsonian with my wife and mother-in-law, because they have metal detectors, and no provisions to store patron's weapons. I was carrying legally (retired Fed) but couldn't go in. OTOH, it was DC, and I wouldn't want to be unarmed there!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 18, 2010, 03:04 PM   #43
RickE

37 years with CWP, occasional carry. No times I was sorry, more than a few where I wished I had was carrying. If you suspect it will be warm/hot, carry something smaller that fits IWB. A t shirt or polo will cover well enough. Take a look at the Walther (slim/compact 9mm) PPS. Perfect for summer carry.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:06 AM   #44
JasonG

I don't get the whole jacket/sweater issue? Oh, that's right, you don't live in open carry states :P
Sorry that was juvinile.
Seriously, I use a "smartcarry" at work as I visit many clients in a tucked in polo shirt. Thin polos don't conceal well. Well I was climbing in a tight spot over some equiptment and, uh, "nutted" myself with my gun. Oowwwww.
But that was the only time I wished I wasn't carrying.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old January 26, 2010, 12:26 AM   #45
Malamute

Tent camping at 10,000 ft elevation with a lightning storm rolling in. No trees or cover. I put all the bear repellant hardware in the truck. Made sure I had plenty of plastic tent stakes after that also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 28, 2010, 04:10 PM   #46
tcwvhw

Every time I strap on my gun I regret that I need to carry. It's a damn shame
in this country.

I thought the wild west days were behind us!

Tom
Old January 28, 2010, 08:40 PM   #47
biohazurd

Nope, I'd feel bare without my CCWs, They complete me...
Old January 29, 2010, 10:37 AM   #48
mdd

No. My wife and 8 month old son are paramount in my life. Possessing the means to protect them as well as myself is never a regret.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:55 AM   #49
Doc Intrepid

Yup.

Pulled up in a van to the Atlanta Airport one day for a business trip. Opened my briefcase to get out my ticket. (Luckily the team was all checking our baggage at the curbside, not inside the airport...)

My Colt .45 Commander was sitting there on top of the files in my briefcase. I had forgotten that I'd put it in there a few days ago when I grabbed the briefcase to head to the airport.

(Fortunately I was able to unload it and stick it down in the foam rubber of one of the camera pelican cases, so no harm no foul - but it was definitely an "oh crap" moment...)
Old January 29, 2010, 12:52 PM   #50
Hawkshaw

There was one time that a car load of drunks were making lewd remarks at my wife, we were in her car instead of mine. I did not transfer my pistol over when we left and I would have probably shot someone "if needed" that day. They seen how mad I was and they let it go especially when I about run them off the road.