The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 22, 2024, 09:23 PM   #1
Mitchja95

Scope for Germans claw mounts

Gentlemen: I need help.
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H. It came with quick-detach German claw mounts and rings, which I had never heard of. I didn’t know what I was getting. I’ve learned that they are prohibitively expensive, and awesome! And I’ve learned that they are custom fitted to the scope. It didn’t come with the scope. So, I’m venturing to find something that fits. The rear ring is 30 mm. The front ring is 50mm. So, what I’ve been told, is that I’m looking for a 42 or 44mm objective lens. None of my domestic scope’s fit because: (see picture) Oops. Looks like the picture is not uploading. How do I do that?

The front ring is mounted about 1.25 to 1.50” forward of the normal mounting location, where you can see was tapped at the factory. That ring captures the objective bell. Most domestic scopes I see have very little real estate for that use. A few European scopes I’ve seen have longer objective tubes. One scope I’m looking at online is the ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44. (I suggest this just for example.) That scope is 14” long. I like my scopes about 12 to 12.5” from the butt stock. That keeps the eyepiece safely away from my eye. A 14” scope pushes the eyepiece to 10”.

Or does it?
Does anyone have any experience with this situation, or are aware of shorter scopes with otherwise appropriate dimensions?

Thank you for your attention.
Old January 23, 2024, 05:04 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Beats me. A coworker had a Husquvarna with claw mount bases spaced like that. I don't recall whether he bought it without the scope or if it were lost, strayed, or stolen.
He gave up on the claw mount system and had a Redfield mount put on, discarding the rear claw base and just leaving the front empty.
Old January 23, 2024, 05:17 AM   #3
tangolima

Caught my interest. I thought it was about the claw mount on HK G3. Found this. Hope it will help.

https://www.hallowellco.com/claw_mounts.htm

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2024, 06:55 AM   #4
Mitchja95

Yes sir, that is very helpful. Now to find a scope with the proper dimensions for a safe eye relief. Here’s what I think I’m looking for. A 42mm objective lens, approximately 12-13” overall length, with the turrets roughly centered in the scope. Seems likely a European scope. I live in western Nebraska. I’m a long way from a store with a large enough selection that I can just hold them to the rifle.
Maybe I’ll have to take a road trip. Anyone know of a have-it-all optics store around Denver or Cheyenne?
Old January 23, 2024, 10:07 AM   #5
Ricklin

Have a look online at restored vintage scopes. I do believe there is a small company in the Denver area that does this.
Another thought would be a big gun shop that has a case full of used scopes that would allow you to try and find something. While scope manufacturer's do provide dimensional data, the OD of the objective bell is critical and usually not indicated.
Old January 23, 2024, 11:50 AM   #6
tangolima

I'm cheap. I would 3D print sleeves to make a modern scope fit. Much cheaper.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2024, 08:50 PM   #7
Mitchja95

Ricklin, I will try both those things.

Tangolima, great idea.

Thank You gentlemen
Old January 26, 2024, 04:53 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Frankonia-Jagd will be able to fit you with a scope.

Tangolima - I went through quite a learning curve to learn about all the different styles of scope mounts used by the Wehrmacht & SS in WW II. On some of them you removed the objective bell to insert the scope into the one piece scope ring. On others the objective bell was soldered onto the front-half ring. This was covered in my book on WW II Snipers.
Old January 26, 2024, 05:09 PM   #9
FITASC

You might ask Doug here:

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

These guy sell a LOT of scopes, especially those from Austria/Germany
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2024, 08:17 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

This same veterinarian also treated us when we got sick. He was the only doctor in the immediate area.

Once my grandfather got so sick he couldn't eat. The vet came to see him and asked my grandmother if we had any old horseshoes at hand. Yes, we did, my grandfather kept some horseshoes in his tool box. Two or three horseshoes were brought to the doctor and he said that they would do just fine. The vet said to put the horseshoes in a pot of water and to cook them on the stove at high boil for a couple of hours. With those instructions he left but he said he would return later that night.

This all sounded crazy but my grandmother did just as the doctor ordered, she put the horseshoes in a pot of water and cooked them. The vet came back, just like he said, and asked about the horseshoes. They were well cooked and getting cooled by then. The water was full of very rust sediment and the vet looked at this mess with very approving eyes. Then he ordered a bucket, a very clean bucket with some fresh water in it. The horseshoes were put into the bucket and he told us to put the bucket in our cellar and in a place where it would stay very clean. Those were his last instructions and he said he would come back in a couple of days to let us know what must be done next.

He came back about three days later and immediately asked about the bucket with the horseshoes in it. The bucket was brought upstairs and given to him. The vet looked at it and gave a grunt of approval before asking for a drinking glass. As soon as he was given a glass, he filled it full of the reddish rusty water from the bucket and he handed the glass to my grandfather. "Drink it," he ordered. My grandfather hesitated, as well he might, and the stuff looked awful. "Drink it!" he ordered again, "That's what you need - you don't have any iron in your system, that's why you are sick. You drink a couple of glasses a day for two weeks, and you'll be alright. I guarantee it." Two weeks later he was just fine, he had suffered from an iron deficiency.
Old January 26, 2024, 11:19 PM   #11
Ricklin

Uhh Gary scopes are mostly aluminum,,,,did we post in the wrong thread? grea story anywho