The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Stevens Crackshot-26

The Stevens Crackshot-26 is repaired. I took measurements from the receiver screw and the lever notch, made the roller the gun was missing from some bronze bearing stock; the lever and breech lock up as tight as a bank vault.
I believe the gentleman that owns the old rifle will be very pleased with the end results.
I knew when I first looked at the rifle the lever needed something like the roller to lock on, thanks again to T. O'Heir for the illistration that confirmed what I was thinking all along.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 12, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Scorch

Bob-
You have to stop doing this. Talking about rebuilding old guns and not showing any pictures, that is. I buy and fix up old beaters as a hobby, and would really like to see pictures (before & after would be nice, maybe with some Hollywood sparkles added for effect).
Old February 14, 2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Scorch,
Sorry about no pictures, I did not think about trying to take any.
The gun's back to the owner so I'm out of luck on the pictures. I started the shop with the intentions of just building custom 1911 handguns, however being in a rural area I never know what might come through the door.
I once had a gentleman bring me an old cap & ball Remington revolver totaly disassembled, in a brown paper sack. He wanted to know if I could assemble the gun, I told him it would not be a problem if all the parts was in the sack. Let me say that pistol was built back when men were men.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 14, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Scorch

Bob-
I always love those "paper bag" guns!! I had a friend bring me one just a few weeks ago, only it was in fold-top sandwich bags. It amazes me what some folks will do!