The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2008, 12:20 AM   #26
ISC

I think there is one longshot way that it can be imported.

As I remember, if it is imported specifically to be recieved by a museum it can be brought in as part of a display. For this to happen it would require alot of red tape and hoops, but I think I remember reading it in the regs when I had my C&R FFL.

If his home base has a museum with a weapons display it could be donated to them.
Old January 29, 2008, 12:24 AM   #27
tplumeri

Dont know anything about AK's but I know that converting an AR to full auto and back is not that hard.
I would think the same would be for an AK.
Now, as far as the legality of doing it.........
Old January 29, 2008, 12:17 PM   #28
Manedwolf

I've heard from a lot of people who have come back, who found a really nice battlefield pickup of some kind. PPSHs, even BARs! ...and they left them there with their squad when they shipped out. Or, if they were contractors, had a "wall o' guns" in their offices somewhere. Over there.

Not gonna come back here.
Old January 29, 2008, 12:34 PM   #29
shaggy

Quote:
Well, I guess two of you guys get off on insulting folks who are thousands of miles away. No one but you has written any suggestion of illegal activity, disonorable, or bad intended. I already asked that further replies of an insulting or attacking nature be taken elsewhere. Maybe you don't read the questions before firing off your attack. It sounds as if you two are jugdging others by yourselves. You like strong words like "you'll go to prison, he'll lose his medical licesnses, "his schemes, "felony crime" (are some felonys not crimes?), "sneaking a weapon".
Get over it; the fact you don't like the answers given is not an insult or an attack. Whether you like it or not, the law and the consequences of violating the law have been correctly stated here by the previous posters. Very simply, it cannot be legally imported by a serviceman as a war trophy. Your interpretation of the law is wrong, and thats not a lay opinion.

The only way it could be imported as a complete weapon is as a post-sample by a FFL/SOT working in conjunction with a licensed importer and a bonafide LE agency requesting a purchase or demonstration of the weapon in question, on agency letterhead, through the FFL/SOT. Keep in mind, there is no easy way around the Arms Control and Export Act which controls all goods on the US Munitions List (such as small arms & ammunition). Even if imported legally as a postie, your friend couldn't possess it unless he got himself an FFL & SOT and a LE demo letter - and even then he could only legally possess it while he had an FFL/SOT. I've seen a bonafide LE demo request/purchase of an overseas FN MAG languish for almost a year while BATFE pushed paper and investigated the request.

Perhaps your persistence in this line of question is that you don't understand BATFE's "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" rule. No matter what you do to the receiver to make it function only in semi, it would still be considered a machinegun. The only way around this would be to cut the receiver with a torch, removing at least .25" of material in each of three cuts across the receiver. In short, for the receiver to be legally destroyed and considered nothing more than parts is to cut it into four pieces with a .25" wide torch. Even then, the parts will still be regulated under the ACEA and require an import permit.
Old January 29, 2008, 04:05 PM   #30
Cowart

Here is a method that would probably satisfy the IRS, the BATFE, most of the posters on this forum, and maybe even the US Army - purchase a "dummy" receiver, and transfer the various parts from the original gun to it. It would then not only not be a machine gun, it would not even be considered to be a firearm. The appearance and sentimental value of the original gun would hopefully be largely maintained. Cost is about $40 at http://www.clearviewinvest.com/detai...=018-AK47-7000
Old January 29, 2008, 08:58 PM   #31
Dfariswheel

How about this DON'T TAKE OUR WORD.

CALL the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms local office and ASK THEM, if it's possible to bring an AK-47 into the USA.

Some of us who posted are experts and have actually dealt with these issues before in the "Real World".
Since you posted this and asked our opinions, and are upset when no one agreed with you, ASK THE REAL EXPERTS.

Call BATF and ASK.
Old January 30, 2008, 06:15 AM   #32
predator86

he asked a question that only a few awnsered, obviously the proper authorities on the other side are already looking into it like he stated....so why not just shut up and awnser his question of converting it to semi-auto....do any on you know him personally??? then who cares if he gets sent to jail on his own time???

besides its not a bad thing to break the law, our founding fathers were criminals to the british.......
Old January 30, 2008, 08:25 AM   #33
Jim Watson

Ectually, old chap, in the o.p., the question concluded "...know the requrements of the law to make it a US legal semi-auto?"

It was not a straightforward nuts and bolts question, it was originally a legal matter and he has been told repeatedly that it can't be done except by token use of a few parts as a built up kit. I think he will find that the "authorities on the other side" have NO authority in what is brought into the country.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:09 PM   #34
tplumeri

Quote:
so why not just shut up and awnser his question of converting it to semi-auto...
Quote:
It was not a straightforward nuts and bolts question, it was originally a legal matter and he has been told repeatedly that it can't be done

Problem here is that the technical info is available at multiple sites on the internet. So is the legality of doing it.
But only on a forum can you ask what appears to be an honest question, and get so much entertaining feedback!
No one in todays military is stupid enough to ask an FFl to help transport a weapon. why would he? much easier to take it apart and have it shipped in multiple containers labeled "unit supply". then you just have to deal with the
E2 back at base.
Of course, I'm just pointing out a method that i THINK (and was told) works.
I deny any first hand knowledge of such......
MAJ USAR
Old February 3, 2008, 06:51 PM   #35
Joe the Redneck

These questions all have one answer -You need to consult an attorney.

You want to go through the IRS because you consider it a tax stamp issue. Fine. What if the BATFE also needs to be contacted. You could do the right thing according to the IRS, but if you run afoul of the BATFE, you buddy is still in hot soup.

This is why you go to an attorney. He or she will research the matter from all angles and give you a real answer.

Joe