The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
bryceh12321

Question about Brass

What do you use/prefer? Does paying the extra really make a lot of difference? I was looking at some Norma brass and it sounded ridiculous as far as price goes. Then I seen some Reminton brass and it was incredibly cheaper.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:55 PM   #2
KEN K

I can't stand those Norma prices either, I use Rem. 8mm brass and reform it for my 7.7 jap. Norma 7.7 empty brass- $1.10 each, Rem. 8mm brass- about $.30 each. I just re size the neck,load and shoot, my gun doesn't care and all the deer are beyond careing. Once it's been fired it is even easier to reload and I've reloaded some of it a number of times already with no problems.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Sevens

Yep, you've gotta consider what caliber, the availability and what you need to use it for. If it's some horribly obscure caliber, or brass that needs to be reformed for a wildcat, it makes sense to buy the best brass you can find. Norma and Lapua are usually held in very high regard.

If you are talking something common, just get a nice big load of something established. Winchester is always a good way to go.

I would think, across the board, that it's a pretty small percentage of folks who are loading for a specialized operation or hobby that are buying Norma and Lapua brass.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
SL1

There is a good article in HandLoader issue #257 illustrating the importance of various components (besides powders) on accuracy in a .308. The premium brass lines did not seem to be a real advantage, especially for neck-sized brass that has already been fired in your gun.

SL1
Old March 13, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
James R. Burke

I was using Winchester but after trying Lapua that is all I am using now. I believe to each is own. For me I think the extra bucks for what you get is worth it.

Tags
brass , cheap , reloading , rifle